Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
mhkritzinger

Drives: 1.8 3dr Yaris TS
Strugeling 1st gear!!??

Hey guys...

My yaris is sometime strugeling when i'm coming to a robot and i want to shift from 2nd to 1st my gearbox struggles sometimes and i have to wait til like 6km/h before the gear leaver go to first. I asked the dealer and he told me that the 5spd manual gearboxes don't have synchronisers on their 1st gear and revearse gear so that means the car have to be completly stationary before 1st gear can be engaged. is that true that their is no synchronisers on 1st and reverse?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanx
mhkritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
You have to come to almost a complete stop before you can downshift to 1st; it's normal for this car.

Synthetic GL-4 seemed to help reverse and overall shifting, but 1st gear stayed the same.

My last car ['05 GTO] wasn't this finicky, I could shift into 1st on a roll.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 10-17-2009 at 05:24 PM.
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
advocate

Drives: car
It's hard to get ANY manual car into first gear while still moving. This is just because there is so much power in first they don't want to car jerking to a stop when you down shift into it from 2nd.

To fix this, slam the gas while the car is in neutral to match the revs and then throw it into first as fast as you can and let go of the clutch. The idea is to get the RPMs at neutral to what they would be had you down shifted straight into first, right before you try and throw it into 1st. This, in essence, matches the engine's speed to the car's speed and makes for a clean shift.

I've done this a handful of times but I'm still not that great at it. It's easy to overrev and get a bit of burnout when you do this or underrev and get a bit of car jerk.

Good luck!
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
It's hard to get ANY manual car into first gear while still moving. This is just because there is so much power in first they don't want to car jerking to a stop when you down shift into it from 2nd.

To fix this, slam the gas while the car is in neutral to match the revs and then throw it into first as fast as you can and let go of the clutch. The idea is to get the RPMs at neutral to what they would be had you down shifted straight into first, right before you try and throw it into 1st. This, in essence, matches the engine's speed to the car's speed and makes for a clean shift.

I've done this a handful of times but I'm still not that great at it. It's easy to overrev and get a bit of burnout when you do this or underrev and get a bit of car jerk.

Good luck!
While your intentions with this advice are good, nobody should be slamming anything. What you're trying to tell him to do is to rev-match the shift down to 1st. And while this does work you need to be very smooth when you do it. Don't slam anything.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Yeah, don't slam it. But rev-match? Sure, makes sliding into 1st easy.

Simple tip: Around 25mph, put it in neutral, floor the gas, just before it hits the rev-limiter let off, and nudge lightly. It should slide into 1st suddenly, then let off the clutch while the rev's are still high and no jerk.

Basically, 1st gear isn't syncronized as much if at all in a lot of cars, so you either rev-match to get the engine-braking on the down-shift, or you don't put it into 1st except from a stand-still.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
mhkritzinger

can anyone tell me if the 1st gear of the yaris are synchronised? the dealer told me that it is not. just wanna confirm.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhkritzinger View Post
can anyone tell me if the 1st gear of the yaris are ? the dealer told me that it is not. just wanna confirm.
Yes it is.
Only reverse in not syncro.
Evidently, your dealer is not synchronised with reality.

BTW, as already stated, going into first is always difficult with most cars unless you are almost stopped.
This is due to the very high spining ratio of the gears involve with first.
Forcing it can damage syncros.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
mhkritzinger

hey thanx for the reply!! My car sometimes cant go into 1st while i'm doing like 5km/h and then i have to stay in 2nd while im on a steep hill! it gets quite anoying sometime. the manuel also states that you can go from 2nd to 1st on 20 km/h. so can it maybe be that my synchro is going? my car have 112000km on the clock??

Thanx
Old 02-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Somtimes you can indeed go to from 2nd to 1st at about 20mph, somtimes you can't
Just don't force it.

Actuallty, it is the syncros trying to do its job that is preventing it fom easily going into 1st and it is just the nature of them.
They can oly do so much so don't force them as thery are relatively delicate parts. They can last the life of the car if treated with respect.

If your syncros were bad you would hear gears grinding when tring to go into gear if your shafts/gears were not spining in sync.
Before the invention of syncros, shifting was an art forn and you had to manually judge was everthing was in sync. It took some skill.

You would hear a lot of gear grinding at times from inexperienced drivers and people would shout out things like "grind me a pound", etc.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Before the invention of syncros, shifting was an art forn and you had to manually judge was everthing was in sync. It took some skill.

You would hear a lot of gear grinding at times from inexperienced drivers and people would shout out things like "grind me a pound", etc.
Haha, that reminded me of that one Star Trek episode where Kirk and Spock are driving that old car.. Classic
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

"Rev matching" is an old technique known as "double clutching." Push in the clutch, move the shift lever to neutral. Let the clutch back out. Give the gas pedal a nudge to bring the engine revs up to what it'll be in the lower gear you're shifting into. Push the clutch back in and shift into the lower gear. You don't bang anything, but it's all done quickly. Takes practice.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
learn to heel and toe. master this and you will be able to blast around
and do anything anytime anywhere with the Yaris (or any other manual tranny car)

learn it

love it

live it

it is also wicked fun once you master it. but like guitar playing you can't
just grab it and run it....it takes time to learn

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...2/article.html
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
You typ would not downshift into first with the car moving above 20km/h - but you have a 1.3L and you may in fact have no synchromesh in 1st, thouugh I doubt it on a modern vehicle. I've only owned a HD truck and a Zastava GV that had no 1st gear synchromesh. Unless racing or very sporting driving , Ive learned over the years not to down shift into 2nd or first at mid - high rpms for engine braking. It places undue wear on the clutch and transmission. Brakes are always cheaper to service ;)
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #14
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
If you cant find em grind em.
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:56 AM   #15
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Difficulty down shifting to 1st could mean wear and tear on the clutch is preventing it from fully disengaging. You might look into checking the clutch.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #16
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
using REDLINE MT-90 a 75w-90 ( GL-4 ) helped to make down shifting a bit easier in '08 L.B. we had .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote