Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-26-2008, 01:17 AM   #1
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Where did you mount your capacitor?

I'm considering purchasing an Alpine PDX-5. I'll be mounting it under the front passenger seat. I think I'll need a 1 farad capacitor and the manual says that it should be mounted as close to the amp. as possible. Where should I mount it? I'm thinking somewhere behind / below the main glove box. Is that close enough to the amp. or is there a better place to mount this capacitor?

Where did you mount yours?

Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 10-28-2008 at 05:41 AM.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:36 AM   #2
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Send a message via AIM to The Architect
as close as possible is so when it unloads it takes as little time as possible and travels as little distance as possible to the amp.

under the glove box would be pretty far.

I wonder how long itll take for someone to come and lecture about the worthlessness of capacitors haha

heres mine.

(3) 12" Alpine Type R Subs/Hifonics BXi1208D
Hifonics ZXi6.5c / 2006 Kicker ZX350.4
Knu Fleks 1/0 Wiring & In Big 3
Optima Yellow Top Battery/Iraggi HO Alternator
Alpine CDA-105, KCA-420i/KCA-121b/KCE-400BT
PG TLD22 8V Line Driver

Last edited by The Architect; 10-26-2008 at 01:47 AM.
The Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:08 AM   #3
sportin83

Drives: 2008 blazing blue yaris LB
i put my cap under my seat and amps in the rear of car. the cap should be within 4 to 5 feet and be ok still so just make it as close as u can

mods: custom sub box, i hit 141.4 db, new speakers, double-din nav, foglights, cruise, CAI, strut brace, under car braces, short antenna, remote start, alarm, actuators in doors and hatch

coming soon: window tint, custom sub grills, tach and........
sportin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:22 AM   #4
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
I wonder how long itll take for someone to come and lecture about the worthlessness of capacitors haha

heres mine.

actually.... they work pretty darn good at being a distribution block,.... other than that tho... ehhh... sometimes they look good.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:35 AM   #5
sportin83

ya i figure give it a few hours and someone will tell us we wasted our money on the caps , but i can tell a big difference with mine.

mods: custom sub box, i hit 141.4 db, new speakers, double-din nav, foglights, cruise, CAI, strut brace, under car braces, short antenna, remote start, alarm, actuators in doors and hatch

Old 10-26-2008, 03:10 AM   #6
IsLNdbOi

If it should be w/in 4 to 5 ft. from the amp. then it should be fine below the glovebox while my amp. is under the front passenger seat.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:45 AM   #7
battleversiontc

Drives: 08 vip yaris
caps should be mounted within 2 feet from the amp any much more then that its worthless. caps are only good up to a given point in a audio setup anything bigger then 2 farad (2000 watts) or more i would use either a optima battery or kinetik battery to handle the higher load of energy needed. but the do work as they save your alt from being destroyed ive burned 4 stock alts in my sounds car until i switched it out for a higher one and a bunch of kinetik batteries. but if you run the two battery thing you would need a higher amp alt, a stinger isolator to isolate the charge to two batteries and some 1/0 wire. but caps do work by not straining the alt and provide the power when needed and so increase bass by a little dbs if not you can always try to find a db meter and test to see the difference with a cap and without
mecp masters certified
battleversiontc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
FcukThis

Drives: yaris
i hate caps :\
FcukThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
isn't a cap is for when bass hits hard, it would compensate for the sudden drop of current, and a bigger alternator/2nd battery for when your system is demanding too much power?
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #10
battleversiontc

a bigger alt is so you have enough amps to be able to supply power to be able to handle the added load on the electrical. the second battery acts like a cap but a better source of energy and adds the amount of energy required no matter what. so not really its a demand its just a better source of energy the caps or for smaller systems you can run a yellow top optima battery or a kinetik battery. but then again thats why they sell batteries just for bass down to 600 watts hench kinetik batteries
mecp masters certified
Old 10-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
IsLNdbOi

Adding a second battery sounds complicated. I think I'll stick with a cap. then.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:19 PM   #12
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
a cap goes in series with the amp.

a battery installs parallel to the main battery.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
battleversiontc

a cap does not go in series with the amp its parallel. do you even know the diff between series and parallel and a seperate battery does not wire into the main battery it actually wires to a isolator which both would wire to so it switches the car when needed. and anyways parallel is pos to pos neg to neg series pos to neg neg to pos so if you wired a cap in series youd blow it up
mecp masters certified
Old 10-28-2008, 12:45 AM   #14
sportin83

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
This is correct! I have always wondered what a cap would sound like blowing up?

For the people that say caps don't work just wait till hybrids start using them to supplement quick burst of power, but then you will probably still say they don't work!

Amps on one side of the amp rack and cap on the other side (trunk side) and are there is about 2-3 foot of wire to the subs. Works like a champ. 15 farad stinger cap.
i had a old cheapo cap one time and took it out of the car and it has a little plug in the top which was a overload vent i was told. i removed from car set it on a table and like 2 mins later i look over and the plug is blowing up like a little balloon the size of a dime and then pop and shot some gray powder all over the place and it wouldnt work after that. was crazy

Old 10-28-2008, 01:11 AM   #15
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I duno id return your cap and use the money to buy a yellow top optima instead its a good altenative to a cap. Its meant to handle quick large drains of power and be able to bounce back up fast.

When i had my cap it was causing me problems. Some reason when i removed it i had clearer sounding music.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:28 AM   #16
battleversiontc

i see a 4 chan amp there what you running on door speakers. and wow that sucks i wonder why the cap nlew up after you took it out thats kinda insane to hear that happening i wonder why it did that. i was also trying to say the optima battery thing or even a kinetik battery would do the trick and maybe a higher amped alt to be able to juice the battery back up quicker
mecp masters certified
Old 10-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #17
FcukThis

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
This is correct! I have always wondered what a cap would sound like blowing up?

For the people that say caps don't work just wait till hybrids start using them to supplement quick burst of power, but then you will probably still say they don't work!
Now that really depends on what you are talking about..

"A capacitor is only good so far as the audio system isn't trying to pull too much from the electrical system. A cap doesn't provide more power, it's designed to 'stiffen' the voltage to the amp, nothing else. If the current isn't there, a cap won't help.

The alternator must have at least 20% more amperage power than the entire vehicle and sound system combined for a cap to be of benefit and even then the benefit is purely for voltage conditioning and has nothing to do with power conditioning.

THEY DO NOT HELP WITH DIMMING LIGHTS.

To get more current to your system, you need a high output alternator. This is the cure for dimming lights.

For the record..... The ONLY purpose of the battery is to start the vehicle and run the accessories with the engine off nothing else. The REAL power plant of the vehicle is the alternator."

Start with our dinky alternator.. ;o
FcukThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #18
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
so....w/ all this said...I have an Insignia 1000watt 2ch amp, I run 2 12" 1100watt Dual subs....I really don't listen to hard bassy music, I have the bass on my player turned all the way down (-5) and on the dial switch to the amp I usually run it at "7", is a cap really needed? just curious...any thoughts would be appreciated.

Peace, Love and Good Smoke!
--Tommy Chong
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote