Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #937
Autocross72

Drives: 2009 3rd Polar white
Are you going to Dyno it with the 1ZZ throttle body? That is the throttle body that this intake was designed for, so I would bet you would see some gains in hp and torque. If you do see gains, I would bet that you could sell a lot more of those manifolds.
Autocross72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #938
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocross72 View Post
Are you going to Dyno it with the 1ZZ throttle body? That is the throttle body that this intake was designed for, so I would bet you would see some gains in hp and torque. If you do see gains, I would bet that you could sell a lot more of those manifolds.
I don't think I'll be dynoing it with a 1ZZ as I'm more of an economy driver than a performance one. The manifold is not only designed for the 1ZZ throttle body, it was also designed for a 1.8 engine so I don't think it would make that much difference in an normally aspirated application. However, a forced induction situation would be a completely different story. Even at the tooter's best +4hp at 5,600rpm that isn't nearly enough to be detected in actual driving. And remember that's at wide open throttle. Most driving is at partial throttle, where the difference between the tooter and stock manifold is too slight to feel. We've been running it on our daily driver Yaris for over 2,000 miles now and it works just fine. And the stock air box really quiets down the intake.

Last edited by tooter; 12-29-2012 at 12:50 AM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #939
tooter
play every day

Speaking of dyno runs, here's a video of the tooter...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/DdQZcHXtnTI
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 AM   #940
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Awe the video ends just before the climax!
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:44 AM   #941
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Awe the video ends just before the climax!
The engine hit the rev limiter really hard so the video ends right at the first stutter.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #942
4/20 NEVER FORGET

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I don't think I'll be dynoing it with a 1ZZ as I'm more of an economy driver than a performance one. The manifold is not only designed for the 1ZZ throttle body, it was also designed for a 1.8 engine so I don't think it would make that much difference in an normally aspirated application. However, a forced induction situation would be a completely different story. Even at the tooter's best +4hp at 5,600rpm that isn't nearly enough to be detected in actual driving. And remember that's at wide open throttle. Most driving is at partial throttle, where the difference between the tooter and stock manifold is too slight to feel. We've been running it on our daily driver Yaris for over 2,000 miles now and it works just fine. And the stock air box really quiets down the intake.
You're killing me here, man. You've come so far that not sourcing a 1ZZ TB and dynoing it seems weird to me, like you're aborting the project early. You even had the TB adapter made to match the 1ZZ throttle body, yet you aren't going to at least try and get one?
4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #943
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4/20 NEVER FORGET View Post
You're killing me here, man. You've come so far that not sourcing a 1ZZ TB and dynoing it seems weird to me, like you're aborting the project early. You even had the TB adapter made to match the 1ZZ throttle body, yet you aren't going to at least try and get one?
Ok, I'll get one and dyno it even though that wasn't the goal.

Making the tooter fit both throttle bodies without any extra parts was an afterthought so that I wouldn't have to stock 2 adaptors. In fact it actually fits three, the stock 51mm three bolt cable controlled throttle body.

I still think that the results will be similar as these back to back runs (stock:red tooter:blue) done on the same day...

the stock engine is only capable of taking in so much air/fuel.

Last edited by tooter; 12-31-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #944
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
not sourcing a 1ZZ TB and dynoing it seems weird to me, like you're aborting the project early.
The tooter looks great but doesn't make power. Testing it with another TB is up to tooter; I respect his call either way -- he has to pay for the dyno.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:41 AM   #945
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Holly Sh..t, haven't checked this thread for a while..

Am I dreaming or this (part in the middle) is what I need to install my Xb/Echo Blitz Sc on my Yaris?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gasket.jpg (150.4 KB, 134 views)
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:12 AM   #946
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
Holly Sh..t, haven't checked this thread for a while..

Am I dreaming or this (part in the middle) is what I need to install my Xb/Echo Blitz Sc on my Yaris?
It ~might~ be, Tolmach...

Here's how you can find out for sure...
The three manifold bolts form a triangle with sides of 57mm, 71mm, and 75mm... and the four throttle body stud holes are 60mm square.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #947
TOLMACH

^ Thanks

I am getting 71, 75 and 67 mm (instead of 57 that you indicated) with 46 mm internal hole diameter. I suspect you have 67 mm in your picture as well (Judging by the gasket in your pic). My TB bolts measure 60 mm, 60 mm, 60 mm, 60 mm.

Can you pls double check this 57 vs 67 mm issue as well as the internal diameter of the hole?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dimensions resized.jpg (89.8 KB, 127 views)
Old 01-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #948
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
^ Thanks

I am getting 71, 75 and 67 mm (instead of 57 that you indicated) with 46 mm internal hole diameter. I suspect you have 67 mm in your picture as well (Judging by the gasket in your pic). My TB bolts measure 60 mm, 60 mm, 60 mm, 60 mm.

Can you pls double check this 57 vs 67 mm issue as well as the internal diameter of the hole?
Sorry, that was my typo. You're right, it's 67 and not 57...

The center hole is 5mm larger than yours is. It's 51mm which was designed to exactly match the Corolla 1.8 manifold. That would mean a 2.5mm forward facing lip on the inner diameter of your manifold which should be flared out with a hand file or Dremel to create a smooth transition. With the adaptor bolted on, a sharp scribe could be run around the inside circumfrence to exactly mark the lip so that you'd know exactly what to remove. Aluminium is really soft and works easily.

You'd also want to be sure that the throttle body butterfly tips in at the right attitude so as to clear the screen on the O ring gasket. Although with forced induction, I'm not really sure that screen would matter and could simply be clipped off if it was a problem.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #949
TOLMACH

^ Thanks
Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #950
4/20 NEVER FORGET

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Ok, I'll get one and dyno it even though that wasn't the goal.

Making the tooter fit both throttle bodies without any extra parts was an afterthought so that I wouldn't have to stock 2 adaptors. In fact it actually fits three, the stock 51mm three bolt cable controlled throttle body.

I still think that the results will be similar as these back to back runs (stock:red tooter:blue) done on the same day...
Back when I worked on Hondas, when we would swap intake manifolds, whenever possible we would include whatever the largest stock throttle body that would fit the manifold. I think we have a similar case here, while not a huge bottle-neck, it's a bottle neck to the system, and you did make the adapter to fit the larger throttle body.

I'm sorry if I came off harsh at all in my last post, I've enjoyed this thread and your tinkering that has led you to where you are. It's a good looking manifold, and it was designed for a larger throttle body than that which you are using, and it's an easy swap to the larger 1ZZ. You have to at least try :) I think there are many others who are following the thread that are also very interested. I think with the change will come more tinkering, and more content too. I appreciate the informative posts.
4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #951
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4/20 NEVER FORGET View Post
Back when I worked on Hondas, when we would swap intake manifolds, whenever possible we would include whatever the largest stock throttle body that would fit the manifold. I think we have a similar case here, while not a huge bottle-neck, it's a bottle neck to the system, and you did make the adapter to fit the larger throttle body.

I'm sorry if I came off harsh at all in my last post, I've enjoyed this thread and your tinkering that has led you to where you are. It's a good looking manifold, and it was designed for a larger throttle body than that which you are using, and it's an easy swap to the larger 1ZZ. You have to at least try :) I think there are many others who are following the thread that are also very interested. I think with the change will come more tinkering, and more content too. I appreciate the informative posts.
Hey Never,

No offense taken. I just got this 1ZZ 0D030 throttle body off ebay today...

...and will be running it soon. I read through the whole 1ZZ thread, and it looks like a real pain in the ass to get working half way decently with all the floating idles, wildly racing rpms, stripped screws, and repeated check engine lights. Hopefully, I can avoid some of the pitfalls knowing the experiences others have gone through.

I at least have some advantages over trying to make it work with the plastic stock manifold. The Corolla manifold was originally engineered for a 1.8 throttle body, and the tooter adaptor I designed will fit it perfectly.

I'll let you know exactly how all this shakes out.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #952
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
it looks like a real pain in the ass to get working half way decently with all the floating idles, wildly racing rpms, stripped screws, and repeated check engine lights.
It's not that hard, if you have the parts you need on hand to swap the servos. The two I've seen done in person worked perfectly.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #953
tooter
play every day

Hey Garm,

What's a servo, and how do you swap it? Is that what was being referred to as a "chip"?

There were so many different proceedures with wildly varying and inconsistent results it was truly mind bending just trying to make it through that long thread.

...and, by the way, is there anyone here who is actually running a normally aspirated 1ZZ throttle body that works properly? I'd love to hear from you how you did it.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #954
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ yeah, it's that black plastic end piece that is attached with rivets. You drill them out, and swap them so your 1NZ one is on the 1ZZ throttle body. You'll need some small screws or bolts with nuts to install.