Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
$60 seat covers (Advertised vs Actual images) Mesh/Pleather 2007 Hatchback

Okay, I spotted these covers on ebay and Amazon the other day and decided to give them a shot. They're usually $60 but I had some ebay bucks and a coupon which made this a really decent deal.

The initial pics really looked good to me and what's great was that they're side airbag compatible.

Upon arrival, the covers were compressed in a bag and wrinkled but I expect the wrinkles to flatten out over time. I expected it to fit like a loose diaper but to my surprise, you can get it quite flush with all the straps. The rear covers were a bit challenging to make flush because of the wheels wells which protrude the backrests. I tied down all the straps using zip ties but discovered they included metal hooks when I completed my install.

I also cut out one segment of the vinyl section from the rear which is intended to be zipped up or left separated for a 40/60 ratio. This partition was designed to be cut out as there were straps right behind the zippered area. This allowed for me to strap down that area so it's stretched to fit.

The rear head rests required cutting two small holes but I've temporarily pulled the cover forward to fit the headrests back in. They come with a velcro cut out for the rear seat levers at the top corners. However, because the Yaris seats are smaller than most rear seats, the covers need to be pulled forward farther.

The front seats fit really well, however the front seat back rests have minimal lumbar support. This creates a gap between the front seat back rests and the cover itself since it's stretched out over that region. I may soon create lumbar support out of foam padding and inserting it between the seat cover and the original seat's backrest.

The passenger front seat requires a cut out for the side lever.

Attached are advertised images compared to real life installed images. So they don't look exactly like the advertised images (especially the rear covers), however, for the money, they suit the Yaris very well.

I've seen recommendations on here supporting kat skinz or clazzio seat covers which go for well beyond $500 (not to mention tax and shipping). For a 11k car, I don't think too many people would be dropping that type of money for covers. You can buy decent bucket seats for that type of money.

ebay link $60

Amazon Link $83

To recap:
1) Airbag compatible
2) Rear seats have a true 40/60 design allowing both segments to recline and slide back and forth independent of each other.
3) Front seat covers fit extremely flush.

Does anyone have experience with other cheap universal covers?

Any tips on getting the rear to fit better?

Edit: Correction, so it's not real leather but vinyl. The material still feels awesome. The images were resized and I fixed some grammar issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cover1.jpg (88.0 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg cover2.jpg (82.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg cover3.jpg (91.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg cover4.jpg (106.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 20170331_122552.jpg (126.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 20170331_122200.jpg (143.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 20170331_122158.jpg (122.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 20170331_122555.jpg (186.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 20170331_122939.jpg (200.2 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by 07liftback; 04-10-2017 at 07:39 AM.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
I got these here.Fit better then the ones you posted.

I prefer the onepiece aswell.

https://www.amazon.ca/CAR-PASS-LINES...AR+SEAT+COVERS
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:15 AM   #3
07liftback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchlite View Post
I got these here.Fit better then the ones you posted.

I prefer the onepiece aswell.

https://www.amazon.ca/CAR-PASS-LINES...AR+SEAT+COVERS
Personally, I'm not too fond of the style of that one but did you have any pictures? Looks like yours only covers the front seats, but I feel my front seat covers fit perfectly fine, if anything, the wrinkles will work themselves out over time.

What did you mean by one piece? Are you referring to the headrest? I prefer that the headrest be removable or adjustable. Your seat covers aren't airbag compatible either.

The only problem I have with my covers are with the rear seats.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:13 AM   #4
hotracer_05
Hmm, I see...

Drives: 2012 Toyota Tundra and Yaris
That looks like vinyl, not leather. But shoot for the price they look like they get the job done! Yeah any over the top cover that is made to fit over the existing cloth is going to be pricey if made to fit the car well (clazzio, wet okole). I have wet okoles in my tundra and they fit great, but definitely not 60 bucks :/ if they are vinyl the smaller wrinkles you can get out with some steam, or wait for a hot summer day and stretch the covers while they are warm
Old 04-10-2017, 04:11 AM   #5
07liftback

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotracer_05 View Post
That looks like vinyl, not leather. But shoot for the price they look like they get the job done! Yeah any over the top cover that is made to fit over the existing cloth is going to be pricey if made to fit the car well (clazzio, wet okole). I have wet okoles in my tundra and they fit great, but definitely not 60 bucks :/ if they are vinyl the smaller wrinkles you can get out with some steam, or wait for a hot summer day and stretch the covers while they are warm
Thanks, just changed the title to pleather instead. I'll update my post tomorrow with current images since many wrinkles in the front seat have been flattened out through normal use.

The nice things about custom made covers for your car would be ease of installation. I suppose that would save a ton of time since you would save time on strapping everything down but these covers took me under an hour to install so it's not too bad.

On another note, my buddy recently installed some FH group leather covers and the material really felt like true leather. I'm sure it's probably just pleather since it's only $25 for the pair. Those covers aren't airbag compatible and the stretching material behind the backrests were extremely thin and wouldn't hold the backrest in place. I was able to help him strap down the bottom of the covers, however, the backrest remained loose since it didn't have any straps.

Just thought I'd post a review for anyone shying away from cheap covers. Came out extremely better than what I originally expected.

Tags
jdm, leather, mesh, seat covers