Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
click.mine
Steve88

Drives: Polar White 07 Sedan (S)
New Sound System - Sound Issues

Hi there. I recently replaced the factory speakers on my 07 (S) Sedan with atermarket and also added an amp to the circuit.

My main problem right now is the sound adjustment. So to be exact here's what I have in the car right now and what's not working right.
A. OEM head unit
B. Scosche SLC4 line out converter to amp
C. Infinity 475a 4channel full-range Amplifier (90 RMS)
D. Front Pair of speakers: Infinity Kappa 63.9i (3way-75rms)
E. Rear Pair of speakers: Infinity Kappa 693.9i (3way-110rms)

I've set the gain on the line out converter behind the stereo on half, also on the amp the gain in on 50%; so ~80% of the hissing sound is gone for now. But back to my problem which is the sound being to sharp (distorted like) which I think is caused by the frequency >>> For both pair of speakers I've set the FreQ to 80khz and yet when I listen to songs of all kind the sound quality is not crisp. It causes headache after listening to it for 10-15 minutes so I tuned the "teble" i think it was to -2 to make the sound a little bit softer and still it's not what it should be. Long story short is this problem caused because the frequency is wrong or is it becuase my speakers have different RMS rating than my amp.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this, even if you don't have the answer
Steve (San Diego, CA)
click.mine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
goku87

Drives: Black HB
line converters suck

unless they are the powered ones, then they usually aren't too terrible, but that is just my opinion.

so, you could 1 of have 3 issues:
1 - bad head unit
2 - bad converter
3 - bad amp

if your head unit worked before you put all the stuff in, i would guess that it probably still works. and if your amp is new i would also guess that there is nothing wrong with it, although sometimes bad things do happen.

which leaves the converter. if its cheap enough to replace without it bothering your wallet too much, then that's probably where your crazy amound of noise is coming from (as in: you get what you pay for). if you want, you could replace it and see what happens or go to your local best buy and get a cheap head unit and call it a day.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:14 AM   #3
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Have you checked your RCA's? How are your grounds?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
click.mine
Steve88

Even though I installed everything myself, I used top quality cables & used every trick in the book. Ex: [setting the gains lower to avoid distortion and hissing], [keeping the power & speaker cables away from Signal Cables] [Grounding the amp less than 1ft away & to a bolt under the rear seat and so on]. So it is also my guess that the amp grounding isn't strong enough BUT WHAT'S PISSING ME OFF IS THAT, THIS WASN'T A PROBLEM FOR THE FIRST 2-3 WEEKS, it's becoming worth as time goes as if something is looseing up causing the sound to become to sharp and hurtful to the ears.

BUT THANKS AGAIN GUYS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ IT.
Being that I got laid off last week I have to wait for a while but later on I will be putting a Premier (Pioneer) AVIC-F90BT in there.

This site Rocks.
Out
Old 03-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
I'd bet money that your problem lies with either...
1: grounding/shorting issues
2:the High level output adapter (scoshe thingy)

Hi-lev output converts are known for having issues, but noise issues are almost always a grounding problem.

When you get a job... and your finances are good, go out and spend $100+ on an aftermarket deck and ditch the stock setup...get rid of the output converts and the shop that installs it won't give the thing back to you with a horrible hissing sound.... they will make sure that issue is fixed if you pay them to install a deck.

Sometimes people will get weird noises from the speaker wires being frayed at the speaker connector and shorting on either the speaker basket or the door sheet metal. If you ever have the doors off again, might want to check that out.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
click.mine
Steve88

Thanks for the info. to be honest, the last time I took my car to a shop (fry's), I paid them 250$ to install a simple car alarm; after sitting there for 8 hours NOT ONLY DID THEY VOID THE ELECTRICAL WARRANTY ON MY CAR, THE ALARM THEY INSTALLED DOESN'T WORK!!!!

long story short, I too suspect it's a weak amp or other grounding issue since I hear a hissing even when the stereo is turned off. that must be the amp since all other cables are connected perfectly or so I tried.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Turn the gain down. Try 0 gain on the line converter, otherwise, you might want to turn the gain of the amp down.

Btw, the infinity kappa .7 series have very high treble, mine had adjustments on the crossover to set down the treble (-3db).
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

How did the knuckle draggers void your warranty? What'd they do!?! ...Of course they didn't make it right did they?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
click.mine
Steve88

Let's see, Well they (frys) put BS Holes everywhere. 2x in the engine, 1x inside the door, on the firewall (which causes some whirling noise), 2x under the dash right where the left driver leg rests. The cable from the alarm comes hanging loose across middle of the engine compartment and then from around the spring (outside) into the door and..... couple of people saying this cable can short out or get pinched anytime causing fire.

ALL OF THAT NOTHING TO MY ALARM GOING OFF BY ITSELF TWICE EVERY NIGHT( when asked the guy, he says they all have this problem.)

NOW FORGET ALL THAT. I'm driving down I-15 south and suddenly I felt some box shaped object fall right in front of my foot. guess what it was? right the control box. AGAIN I tried to forget it all and shoved the box back under the steering wheel somewhere. comes the next weeks and months and my alarm still keeps going off every night ; now the unlock key stopped working. so I would have to open the doors with the key which sets the alarm off and then try to unlock.
=====================================
TAKE A DEEP BREATH
=====================================
SO I TAKE MY CAR TO THE DEALER LAST WEEK TO FIX THE AIRBAG DEFECT (the one that causes fire) and I ask the dealer guy to have the Mechanics look at the tires, shocks and the steering wheel since they all have started making whirling,clicking and other weird noises. THE GUY COMES BACK TO ME AFTER 3 HOURS SAYING WITH A REALLY QUIET VOICE WITH HIS HAND OVER SIDE OF HIS FACE " THEY LOOKED AT IT AND SAID IT'S ALL NORMAL. YOU KNOW IT'S A REALLY BASIC CAR SO NOT MANY INSULATIONS AND SUCH ARE IN IT.

but hey I smiled and forget right. funny story, a week after going to dealer my rear left tire pops again, when changing it the jack slips and the car falls on top of it. I had to fill out multiple sheets and reports on why it happened so they could give me a replacement jack.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

...I think I'm going to be sick. At MAXIMUM, there should be only one hole put into the firewall and that should have a grommet to protect those wires that would be put through.

There is absolutely no reason to have your vehicle affected the way it is.

I take it that Fry's is saying that the alams they put in act that way. Who told you that your warranty is void?

This really sounds like gross negligence on Fry's part. What I would do is to take the vehicle into another shop, one that has a VERY GOOD reputation. Pay them to take a look at the alarm, take picturess of all those holes and wiring issues.

You take the quote for repair from them and then present it to Fry's. They won't pay it. Now, take your claim to small claims court, yes it will cost to file. If everything is as you say, you should win EASILY! You can absolutely claim all the costs for the filing, inspections, and whatnot.

You may actually be above the maximum amount to small claims depending on what you're claiming.

You absolutely have the right to have service done that will not destroy your vehicle.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
click.mine
Steve88

thanks for the info sqcomp. I'm fairly pinned down with life & most of the stuff that i explained happened around 2 years ago in april when I bought the car. only the past week(s) since i've have been jobless had I actually got the chance to get on this website and start talking about my car. BUT YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, it's not the first time some1 did such thing to me. one at a time I will get to the bottom of things or so I hope.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:11 AM   #12
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I'm not trying to be some $hithouse lawyer or anything, but there comes a point when wrong is wrong. It seems from your take, these people did you WRONG! Nothing is happening about it. They get to keep doing other people wrong.

I don't think that a lawyer would pass this one up though. It's a chance to vamp on a company who makes money. I'm just keeping it real...

Recently I was on a jury at a civil trial. It was one ex-employee suing a construction company for damages due to the company's lack of safety oversight. Keeping it short, we ruled in favor of the plantiff. He claimed that he was permanently disabled, which was complete BS (he had spine X-rays claiming permanent back problems, which having seen bad x-rays before, his was not anywhere near what he claimed) ...BUT the overall feeling of the jurors was that the company was indeed lacking in safety oversight.

We decided in his favor for 750,000 in totoal for falling off a rebar structure as it collapsed. He fell about 10 feet and rolled. Dude was just fine. That wasn't the point though, the point was that the company was responsible for keeping the area safe...and it didn't.