Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
jayis

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Leaking From Above A Pillar

Anyone had any problem with leaks above the A pillar? I think it's from underneath where the "drip moulding" is supposed to clip to. That wasn't my first guess, I put silicone windshield repair between the windshield and the car but that didn't stop the leak. I removed the roof liner to get a better look at it. I plan to just pour silicone on everything that I can to get it to stop. It drips on my leg and it is pretty annoying. Any ideas?

In the pics there is some water still there from testing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (230.3 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (488.8 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (290.8 KB, 359 views)
jayis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
Mike Dexter

Drives: '10 Hatchback
See the crack in the paint just behind the clip? That crack likely goes through the sealer that covers the welded joint at the roof edges.

Get a tube of body sealer from an auto parts store, and brush it all over the bottom of the trench. Silicone dries and cracks over time...found that out the hard way.

I can't tell from your 3rd photo - does that large circular hole allow you to get at the clip's bolt/nut from the underside? If you can, remove that clip, and seal under it too. If not, reach through and brush sealer from underneath.
Mike Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Running w/o gutter strips. Noticed and probed-to-confirm-clear what I interpreted to be a deliberate drain hole into the top of the A-pillar. Hole is near the corner of the glass.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:53 AM   #4
GibbsYaris07

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3dr
I have the same exact issue. I will pull out the molding an apply the black body sealer as well.

2010 Toyota Tacoma (my second vehicle)
GibbsYaris07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:34 AM   #5
ct77414

Drives: 2007 Yaris Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbsYaris07 View Post
I have the same exact issue. I will pull out the molding an apply the black body sealer as well.
My Molding Strips things recently began peeling off.
Kind of obvious problem at 70 MPH and something slapping the back of the car. I ripped them off and now I've got tiny leak at A Pillar just above me, The Driver. I'm going to look into this Body Filler Stuff.
I was just going to silicone over the holes that cannot be seen until I get it properly fixed.

I guess "Body Filler" IS Bondo?
That would not be the thing to do if one ever wanted to fix it Right. Body Man.....OK. DIY...No.
I guess what is Right to some is different for others.

Last edited by ct77414; 05-27-2019 at 08:48 AM.
ct77414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:15 PM   #6
jayis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dexter View Post
I can't tell from your 3rd photo - does that large circular hole allow you to get at the clip's bolt/nut from the underside?
I looked with a light and stuck my fingers everywhere and couldn't see or feel anything like a bolt holding the clip in place. I actually think it might be welded there?

I wanted to test covering potential points where the water is leaking in with the silicone I had before I went ahead and got seam sealer, removed the silicone, and really covered things in a durable way. I covered everything up that looked like a crack in the gutter and the leak didn't go away. That's when I started looking for other places the water could be coming in. Eventually I put silicone across almost the entire width of the car where the windshield meets the roof. This finally killed the leak...so far. A picture of my terrible handiwork is attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg (377.9 KB, 308 views)
Old 08-31-2019, 06:59 PM   #7
jayis

Just want to update this in case this happens to someone else.

Putting silicone between the windshield and the car didn't actually solve the problem, and was probably completely unnecessary.

I had a small crack in the gutter farther up than I thought was possible. Basically at like the highest point of gutter. I sealed it all up with silicone (which Mike Dexter mentioned will fail eventually, I'll get there when I get there) and it finally went away.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:29 PM   #8
alex_melodymaker

Drives: 2008 Liftback/Black/5-speed MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayis View Post

Putting silicone between the windshield and the car didn't actually solve the problem, and was probably completely unnecessary.

I had a small crack in the gutter farther up than I thought was possible. Basically at like the highest point of gutter. I sealed it all up with silicone (which Mike Dexter mentioned will fail eventually, I'll get there when I get there) and it finally went away.
Hi, I'm having the same problem right now with my 2008 Yaris Liftback and am planning on fixing this. So when you said gutter, did you mean the area along where the removable roof drip molding is usually positioned from front to back? If so, then I'm presuming the highest point you mentioned will be closer to where the center pillar is?
alex_melodymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:07 PM   #9
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Interesting, i had water leaking into the boot of my car. It was very difficult to get the bottom of where exactly it was coming in and in the end i got very pissed off and plastered everything in urethane seem sealer - including the back end of the gutter and all around where that hook was at the back. There did indeed appear to be cracks in the paint around this area. It fixed my leak, at least for now.

Water leaks really are a pain.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:38 PM   #10
IronYaris

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayis View Post

Did this problem come back yet? Just started getting the same leak...
IronYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:55 PM   #11
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
the correct fix for this is to remove some of the OE seam sealer (wherever and everywhere its cracked)with either a knife or a cutoff wheel to widen the crack, at which point you get some 3M "seam sealer" and re-apply as the factory did..this will perminantly fix the problem for another 20 years
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 07:01 AM   #12
1st Toyota

Drives: Yaris 2nd Generation
Strange how this leak problem happens when the car is 12 years old!
I have just started to get a fungus smell in my 12 year old Yaris, and all the footwells and boot are dry. I will take the roof lining off and have a look when I get time.
Toyota should do a recall for this fault.
1st Toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 12:38 PM   #13
JustFPV

Drives: 2006 Yaris 2dr hb manual
Having the same issue after washing the car or rain. Glad to hear it's an easy fix, going to take care of it rn.
JustFPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 02:47 AM   #14
alex_melodymaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
the correct fix for this is to remove some of the OE seam sealer (wherever and everywhere its cracked)with either a knife or a cutoff wheel to widen the crack, at which point you get some 3M "seam sealer" and re-apply as the factory did..this will perminantly fix the problem for another 20 years
Hi, when you mentioned removing the OE seam sealer, would that be in the gutter where the removable rubber drip molding sits on the edges of the roof outside?

Last edited by alex_melodymaker; 12-17-2023 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12-23-2023, 05:33 PM   #15
alex_melodymaker

I have included photos of what appear to be depressed areas on the surface of the driver's side molding gutter. Could either of these be the cause for the leakage inside above the driver's seat?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20231223_214918677.jpg (139.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20231223_214928387~3.jpg (122.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20231223_214924650~2.jpg (109.4 KB, 28 views)