Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
JAMMAN1701

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Oil & Air filter change please help!

Hey guys!

I want to replace the oil in my Yaris along with the Oil filter and air filter.

Can you please tell me how much oil (or liters) I will need to buy?
Whats the best brand of oil to use?
Links to pictures or video on how to change the air filter?

I would really appreciate help with this guys!

Thanks in advance!

John
JAMMAN1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Happy Little Pony

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Clear the decks! Batten down the hatches, mateys! It's another oil thread!

But seriously, for a 2007 Yaris with a 1.5 liter engine, you'll need about 3.7 liters/3.9 quarts of 5w30 oil (if you change the oil filter at the same time). If you have some other engine, you'll have to tell us what it is.

The best brand of oil is open for debate. I don't think that there is a "best" brand. Any oil that meets the latest API/ILSAC standards is sure to be "good enough." The 2007 was rated for API "SL" and ILSAC "GF-4." If it says API SL, SM or SN, that oil will work fine. If you want to spend a little more for synthetic oil, you can, but it really isn't necessary. I've been using synthetic oil, but only because I keep finding good sales.

As far as the air filter goes, just monkey around with it a little and you'll figure it out. If you note how the old filter sat in the box, you can see that the filter element is irregularly shaped and can only fit one way.
Happy Little Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Nicfin
Nic

Drives: 2008 3-Door Liftback Manual
What HLP said, about 3.9 quarts for the 1.5L. However, it might be a good idea to put a little less in there and then check. I thought I added just under 4 quarts and overfilled just a little. I was using a 5 quart jug and it is easy to overfill.

I have always used regular Castrol oil in my vehicles and never had a problem. But, I think any reputable brand of oil is OK.

The air filter is easy to change. It will go in only one way, but when you take the old one out, pay attention to how it is orientated. With that being said, I really don't like the design of it. The air box clips latch in opposite directions and you have to hold it down tight while you latch it. At least I did on mine. I guess it works, but I just don't like it.
Nicfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, change, filter, oil, yaris 2009