Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
adamschneider

Drives: Bayou Blue 2dr, AT
Yaris liftback vs. Hyundai Accent hatchback

I realize I'm probably going to get some seriously biased responses on this forum, but I figure it's worth asking anyway. (Maybe I'll post something similar on a Hyundai forum!)

My wife and I have had just one car for the past 3 years; suddenly she's got a new job that will require her to drive (instead of taking the bus), so I need to get a 2nd car, and I'd like to buy new rather than used. I see cars only as necessary evils, so I don't need a lot of options (or even automatic transmission), and I've narrowed it down to the two cheapest choices: Hyundai Accent or Toyota Yaris.

The cost difference between the two is negligible. I honestly think the Accent looks better, but that's not going to sway me. (The better Hyundai warranty, on the other hand, does sway me somewhat.) Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else went through this same quandary, and what might have pushed them in one direction or the other.

Thanks for any insights...
adamschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
I think somebody already did this. Try using the search feature to find that thread. There is no comparison between a crappy korean hyundai and a reliable japanese made car.

I will vouch for hyundai making incredible LCD TV's but I wouldn't drive one of their cars if they paid me to.

by the way, the Accent does -not- look better
Old 06-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
adamschneider

I did do a search but didn't find anything, surprisingly. (If I missed something, though, by all means post a link to the thread, please!)

But there's that bias I expected.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
kaboom

Drives: 2007 silver yaris sedan
true - Koreans do not make serious cars------------- only Japanese do ; and even not all Japanese cars are reliable ( vide Subaru)

just my $ .02
kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
TOOL
I <3 Cars!

Drives: Honda Fit S
Dude how could you even think about a Hyundai over a Toyota? Maybe you just dont know much about cars but Hyundai's are cheap pieces of crap for thr most part, especially if your looking into there lowest end model. Get the Yaris for sure man, quality is very important when buying a car and the Yaris is a affordable quality ride.
TOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Had a 97 Sonata afew years back and a pretty decent car, and I think it was good looking also. Hyundai has even improved since then but just little things bothered me....like the interior looked great and the seats felt good, but only for about 30 minutes, then a real pain, first car I ever had like that. Gas milage didn't compare with the big 3 Japan. Didn't have major problems with the car, but warrenty has nothing to do with reliability.....thats where Toyota and Honda shine.

May be biased but I pick Toyota.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Let's add this to the mix ...

Hyundai - 3, Toyota - 0; Perceived Quality the New Paradigm Says Strategic Vision

http://www.strategicvision.com/press_release.php?pr=27

I think Hyundai has come up through the ranks in an amazing fashion (regardless of this study). They definately get "most-improved" car maker in the last 10 years.

My opinion: You can't go wrong with a Toyota or Honda (or at least you have much less of a chance of going wrong).

Hyundai's still have a general perception of being cheap cars -- deserved or not. The stats say they are pretty good. People I know that own them seem to love them.

I'll tell you this: The resale value still stinks. However, if you plan on keeping the car for a long time, it's not really an issue. The warranty on the other hand, is great if that is important to you.

I happen to really like the looks of the Accent, and it's a smokin' deal. I was just looking at them today online. I also happen to like the Kia Rio 5's looks.

Personally, I'd drive everything in the B-segment that you can afford: Yaris, Accent, Fit, Versa, SX4, Aveo, and Mini. Do your homework and buy the one you like the best.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...hlight=hyundai

try typing HYUNDAI in the search box
Old 06-05-2007, 06:57 PM   #9
adamschneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post

I did that before but only searched the "New Yaris Purchase Forum." I see now that searching ALL forums gives much better results...
Old 06-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
adam, dont' worry too much about mr. meat. he kind of gets on people for not using the search function throughly. i think it's a pet peeve of his. i myself did look at the hyundai, as comparison of course but the dealership here is a total waste of time. they throw $3,000 on all of their cars for no reason at all. that's just one of the reasons we didn't go with them, that and just about everyone there was an assclown. red noses and all.

we went with the yaris because it just made more sense. i find that hyundais depreciate faster than toyotas and we'd like to get something back on the car when we're done with it.
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #11
ceres
Club Baby Seals

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Let's add this to the mix ...

Hyundai - 3, Toyota - 0; Perceived Quality the New Paradigm Says Strategic Vision

http://www.strategicvision.com/press_release.php?pr=27
Hyundai may have won in certain areas but if you look at the "Small Car" category, the Accent has the worst score. The Yaris has a 30 pt advantage there.
http://www.strategicvision.com/auto_...ward=TQA&seg=1

Though honestly.. wtf are the Civic & Yaris doing in the same category.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:13 PM   #12
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I had a Hyundai (Tiburon) for four years. A beautiful, well put-together car and a blast to drive. It had a great warranty--6 years or 60K miles I think--but unfortunately I had to use that a lot more I should have!

Power window motor went out twice. Other minor electrical problems. Alarm that would freak out from time to time. Really weird one--light bulbs kept burning out. Finally, and most irritating repair, clutch was replaced before 40k miles, then replaced again when it was discovered real cause of problem was defective flywheel (NOT crazy clutch-breakin chick driver, as dealer at first tried to suggest)!

It was not until I started talking to new Toyota owners, and thinking about previous Toyotas of my own, that I remembered--a car can be reliable AND fun! So I was happy to take shorter warranty to get a Yaris. I really enjoyed my Tib, but damn LOVE the Yaris.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #13
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post

Oh yeah, and way to win the memory test Brick! This HAS been discussed recently...searched for "accent."

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ghlight=accent
Old 06-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #14
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i was no fan of the old accent hatchback but i think the new one is a 300x improvement on the old one,
it probably has the biggest trunk in the class as well.

yaris has better fuel economy, toyota reliability.

accent has 5 yr bumper to bumper.

tuff decision.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:47 PM   #15
adamschneider

Okay, if I do go with the Yaris, this is the price I was quoted: $11,950 -- which includes destination but not licensing (no tax in OR). Here's the specs:

2007 Yaris 3-door Liftback with 5-speed manual transmission
FE - 50 State Emissions
CK - All-Weather Guard Package: Rear Defroster, Larger Washer Tank with Level Warning, Heavy Duty Heater, Rear Heater Duct, Heavy Duty Starter, Daytime Running Lights
CF - Carpeted Floor Mats/Cargo Mat

Is this a decent price?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:16 PM   #16
kaboom

well, if you go to toyota site www.toyota.com and get MSRP for your options in your zip code it will come up to $ 11,990-------so apparently they are giving you $ 40 discount from MSRP...........but- wait a moment - thta price includes " $ 620 shipping". I paid $ 620 shipping but I live in Ohio. Isn't the city you live at close to the port where Toyotas are shipped to by vessel ? Si if we subtract "$ 620 shipping" from MSRP we get $ 11,370......
oh, well
Old 06-05-2007, 11:16 PM   #17
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamschneider View Post
Okay, if I do go with the Yaris, this is the price I was quoted: $11,950 -- which includes destination but not licensing (no tax in OR). Here's the specs:

2007 Yaris 3-door Liftback with 5-speed manual transmission
FE - 50 State Emissions
CK - All-Weather Guard Package: Rear Defroster, Larger Washer Tank with Level Warning, Heavy Duty Heater, Rear Heater Duct, Heavy Duty Starter, Daytime Running Lights
CF - Carpeted Floor Mats/Cargo Mat

Is this a decent price?
yep, there is no mark up on these things really, no haggling at the dealship I went to, they quoted me a price and I took it

These cars are really made in Japan.

Koreans make a mean Summer Roll and I own a Hyundai LCD like I said earlier. Great bang for the buck but I would never buy one of there crap cars.

Get the Yaris or else!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:21 PM   #18
kaboom

oh, actually you must pay " the freight charge"......is it because of using Ebay that I thought "shipping" pertained to domestic delivery.....but still--------