Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Josepe-sv

Drives: Yaris 2008 HB 1.5
Going up the climb up

I want a pair of centimeters more of height from floor (problem with some obstacles). In my old car the mechanic guy do it easy.
Any way, Im thinking when purchase next tires must be less flat, gain more height.
Josepe-sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
I have absolutely no idea what you're asking for.

It sounds like you might want to raise your Yaris' suspension up a few cm?
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Josepe-sv

Drives: Yaris 2008 HB 1.5
I mean up the level of the car, over the floor. The distance bwn the floor and the chasis should be two centimeters more (to no hitting below the car).
Josepe-sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
I think he wants to lift the car so he doesn't scrape on bumps.

Bigger tires would help, but then the tires will probably rub on the body.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Probably the cheapest route is to go with spring spacers to get about 1 to 1.5 inch lift. You should be able to find something generic enough for the Yaris. Google it.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Sounds like it's time to turn my Crashy lift kit into product.

In trying to add 4" to Crashy's front end, I considered a few options. An adjustable coil spring spacer would probably work for just adding a couple of cm of clearance.

CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
zakerya1

Drives: toyota yaris
CTSCOTT Thats a great idea How did you mount that bar to the strut when you lifted it?I Geuss it goes to a stableiser bar.How did you keep the axel from hitting that bar once you raised it.I Thought if i lifted my yaris i would have to move that bar because the axel would hit it.were you able to keep it alignment help!!!!
zakerya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #8
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
holy monkey balls batman... i gotta get a tetanus shot just looking at that picture...
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakerya1 View Post
CTSCOTT Thats a great idea How did you mount that bar to the strut when you lifted it?I Geuss it goes to a stableiser bar.How did you keep the axel from hitting that bar once you raised it.I Thought if i lifted my yaris i would have to move that bar because the axel would hit it.were you able to keep it alignment help!!!!

I used 1/4" plate steel. The two sides are two separate pieces, and then I used some thick walled pipe to make the spacers to keep the ears on the strut from folding in as I tightened the bolts. I had to grind the flared part off of the bottom of the strut ears to allow the plates to lay right. The axle is not as straight as it was with no lift, but it is no where near rubbing or being at an angle where it would cause quick wear of the CV joints.

As for alignment, Crashy is not street-able at the moment, so I wasn't concerned about precise alignment, but I would think that as along as the struts remain in the same plane as they started, that alignment wouldn't be a huge issue.

I did have to extend the stabilizers as well. I cut them and re-welded the ends to a longer piece of stock.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
zakerya1

CTSCOTT Thanks for the help.dont suppose you have a picture from the front i can see,keep you posted
Old 02-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
holy monkey balls batman... i gotta get a tetanus shot just looking at that picture...
Welcome to New England! You should see what a "seasoned" vehicle looks like!

That's a nifty set up CTScott-nice work!
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Last edited by R2D2; 02-19-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: add
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
CTSCOTT Thanks for the help.dont suppose you have a picture from the front i can see,keep you posted
Here's a front shot:

Crashy Lift - Front.jpg
Old 02-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #13
zakerya1

CTSCOTT This is what i was concerned about i mocked the bottom of the strut to the top mount.i didnt go as high as you did.It looks like the axel is going to rub against the bottom bar.Does the axel move up a little as i lower the car with the jack then mount the stableizer bar?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newcarphoto.jpg (24.6 KB, 92 views)
Old 02-20-2011, 12:47 AM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ another question too -- it looks like you have some positive camber now, is it the photo?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
CTSCOTT This is what i was concerned about i mocked the bottom of the strut to the top mount.i didnt go as high as you did.It looks like the axel is going to rub against the bottom bar.Does the axel move up a little as i lower the car with the jack then mount the stableizer bar?
The axle moves up quite a bit when the weight of the front compresses the strut. That does mean that if you get the front tires to completely leave the ground that some axle rubbing will occur (when you're doing the Dukes of Hazard jumps). When you lower the car off the the jack or lift, as soon as the tire touches the ground the axle clears the plate below.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ another question too -- it looks like you have some positive camber now, is it the photo?
On that side there is a bit of positive camber. It is because of the damage to the top of the strut tower. When I picked the car up, the strut had actually pulled down through the top of the tower. This was also the side where I replaced the lower A arm, that was bent back over 3" from it's original shape.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #17
zakerya1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The axle moves up quite a bit when the weight of the front compresses the strut. That does mean that if you get the front tires to completely leave the ground that some axle rubbing will occur (when you're doing the Dukes of Hazard jumps). When you lower the car off the the jack or lift, as soon as the tire touches the ground the axle clears the plate below.
CTSCOTT I got the driver side lifted ok,but iam having trouble with the other side.the axle wont go down far enough to mount the strut because its hitting the a arm.Did you have that problem? do i have to compress the strut or something
Old 03-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
CTSCOTT I got the driver side lifted ok,but iam having trouble with the other side.the axle wont go down far enough to mount the strut because its hitting the a arm.Did you have that problem? do i have to compress the strut or something
I compressed the springs to make it easier to line things up.

Tags
height tires