Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #433
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Would love to have my ass in the seat of that car.

Use your new found power responsibly and the tranny should serve you well.
Visit the Maritimes and you can drive it yourself, WeeYari!
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged, Custom exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Edvs_TSGkY
2008 Yaris LE H&R 10mm spacers (rear), RS rear spoiler
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #434
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Victory!
Yeeeaaahhhh!!! So far anyway. Lol.
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged, Custom exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Edvs_TSGkY
2008 Yaris LE H&R 10mm spacers (rear), RS rear spoiler
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #435
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Victory!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Responsibility is overrated, lol
It does dampen the fun a bit. Lol
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged, Custom exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Edvs_TSGkY
2008 Yaris LE H&R 10mm spacers (rear), RS rear spoiler
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #436
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Bahah Yaris a/t's are cheap and easy to come by from a wreckers, I say go nuts!

FWIW you may want to swap out your trans fluid for a performance grade fluid like Amsoil or other. May give you some longer life from your trans should you grow an heavy foot!
That's the attitude. Lol. And, you're bang on about the trannies being cheap. I found one a while back on ebay that was from a wreck, something like 18000 miles on it for around $300.00 usd plus shipping.

I've always been an OEM trans fluid guy, especially after owning a Grand Caravan. It was ATF+4 or nothing. So, it's established that a good performance fluid would be perfectly compatible with the auto? Because, I would hands-down swap out the fluid for its superior properties if it was truly compatible in both the short and long term.
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged, Custom exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Edvs_TSGkY
2008 Yaris LE H&R 10mm spacers (rear), RS rear spoiler
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #437
tmontague
 
tmontague's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hamilton Ont.
Posts: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
That's the attitude. Lol. And, you're bang on about the trannies being cheap. I found one a while back on ebay that was from a wreck, something like 18000 miles on it for around $300.00 usd plus shipping.

I've always been an OEM trans fluid guy, especially after owning a Grand Caravan. It was ATF+4 or nothing. So, it's established that a good performance fluid would be perfectly compatible with the auto? Because, I would hands-down swap out the fluid for its superior properties if it was truly compatible in both the short and long term.
nothing wrong with OE fluids but your car is far from OE spec, not only with the bigger engine but the turbo as well. You likely will be fine with regular fluid changes as you have a cooler but I'm thinking more in the area of shear resistance from a better fluid.

OE spec fluid would meet sheer requirements the trans would face with the stock engine, in your case the clutches are working over time and I think a more sheer stable fluid would be some extra insurance. I have never heard of an issue with Toyota trans running Amsoil or even other fluid like Maxlife - they don't seem to be very sensitive to fluids as long as the fluid states it is compatible.

I personally always flush my used Toyota's with Maxlife simply because it is well priced and available locally to me. According to BITOG it is a pretty robust ATF and has always run well in my Toyota's (and Subaru's) that I have put a lot of mileage on. If I was in your situation I would likely go with an Amsoil product but it may be overkill. Just something to think about. If you are good with your fluid changes then you likely will never have to worry
__________________
No one ever wants to give a Yaris the point by...
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:09 AM   #438
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
nothing wrong with OE fluids but your car is far from OE spec, not only with the bigger engine but the turbo as well. You likely will be fine with regular fluid changes as you have a cooler but I'm thinking more in the area of shear resistance from a better fluid.

OE spec fluid would meet sheer requirements the trans would face with the stock engine, in your case the clutches are working over time and I think a more sheer stable fluid would be some extra insurance. I have never heard of an issue with Toyota trans running Amsoil or even other fluid like Maxlife - they don't seem to be very sensitive to fluids as long as the fluid states it is compatible.

I personally always flush my used Toyota's with Maxlife simply because it is well priced and available locally to me. According to BITOG it is a pretty robust ATF and has always run well in my Toyota's (and Subaru's) that I have put a lot of mileage on. If I was in your situation I would likely go with an Amsoil product but it may be overkill. Just something to think about. If you are good with your fluid changes then you likely will never have to worry
Great info, Trevor. I'll definitely consider the use of a quality aftermarket fluid. The Amsoil might have a slight edge on the Valvoline product, but, like you say, maybe overkill. I plan to do some reading on the products. The fluid in my car is quite fresh. It's had a recent drain and fills and a couple more before that within the last 20 or 30K kms. I've also been considering the purchase of a performance valve body. It might be a very good first upgrade and one that should be fairly easy as it could be done without the need to drop the trans. Going to do some more reading on that too.
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged, Custom exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Edvs_TSGkY
2008 Yaris LE H&R 10mm spacers (rear), RS rear spoiler
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #439
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,559
Tune and oil filters (random)

I haven't been completely happy with the tune from the tuner. Yesterday I was getting some erratic AFRs and a bit of bucking at "high speed" cruise. I call high speed cruise around 130 - 140 km/h. I decided to upload the basemap to the FIC and give it a run. The car worked much better. I did have a very slight buck at around 120 km/h on a slight incline at part throttle. This time though, it went rich and bogged. So, I leaned it out a bit and then drove for a good hour up and down hills, different speeds and it worked great. AFRs remained reasonable steady and I'm getting 11.5:1 at WOT. I still have to install the 2.2K ohm resistor on the crank signal wire and hope to do that this weekend.

Oil and oil filters.

Walmart USA has SuperTech Full Syn on at $14.97 a jug. I have to take my daughter to events in St. Stephen next to the border two nights a week. I have an hour to kill, so I go across each time and grab a jug and a filter each time. Being a cheapskate and all, I avoid duty this way. I also get to fill up with Shell V-Power 93 while I'm there.

Just for fun, for you 2ZR folks, which filter would you buy and why? The SuperTech is $2.97, the Fram and the K&N are ~ $4.50 each. If you tell me your choice and reasoning, I'll tell you which one I bought and why. Play along if you're bored.

__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged, Custom exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Edvs_TSGkY
2008 Yaris LE H&R 10mm spacers (rear), RS rear spoiler
2011 Kia Sedona LX

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-18-2019 at 10:11 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #440
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!
 
CrankyOldMan's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Just for fun, for you 2ZR folks, which filter would you buy and why? The SuperTech is $2.97, the Fram and the K&N are ~ $4.50 each. If you tell me your choice and reasoning, I'll tell you which one I bought and why. Play along if you're bored.
Doesn't answer your question but I have several Toyotas and it just made sense for me to swap the cartridge setup for the traditional can style. Now all of my 'Yotas use the same one. The Vibe is possibly going to get the swap as well since it's also a 2ZR.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #441
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..
 
Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 418
I just use Toyota filters. Gotta be good enough right?

I have used the fram filters on the beater before. Sometimes I just can't get to the dealer with their hours and my work schedule. I've never noticed anything horrible about them like a lot of people say. 340,000km and still purrs like a kitten.
__________________
No one suspects the Yaris.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #442
thebarber
daily driver
 
thebarber's Avatar
 
Drives: the #wrecho
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 5,873
sexy outcome (all of it)
__________________
thebarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #443
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Doesn't answer your question but I have several Toyotas and it just made sense for me to swap the cartridge setup for the traditional can style. Now all of my 'Yotas use the same one. The Vibe is possibly going to get the swap as well since it's also a 2ZR.
Yes, I've definitely been considering switching to a the screw on can setup. I think the adapter is around $80.00 USD plus shipping. Probably $500.00 at the local dealer. Afterall, they wanted close to $500.00 for a vehicle speed sensor.
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged, Custom exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Edvs_TSGkY
2008 Yaris LE H&R 10mm spacers (rear), RS rear spoiler
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:44 PM   #444
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
I just use Toyota filters. Gotta be good enough right?

I have used the fram filters on the beater before. Sometimes I just can't get to the dealer with their hours and my work schedule. I've never noticed anything horrible about them like a lot of people say. 340,000km and still purrs like a kitten.
Damn straight about Toyota filters.

I used Fram all throughout my early automotive years, long before I'd heard about the unsubstanitated "orange can of death" lore. Never had one single issue, cardboard end caps or not, and I often had very long OCIs.
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged, Custom exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Edvs_TSGkY
2008 Yaris LE H&R 10mm spacers (rear), RS rear spoiler
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #445
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
sexy outcome (all of it)
Oooh yeah! So, who bought the Blitz? Just kidding/respecting privacy. Though, hopefully whomever did will make it known! Haha
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged, Custom exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Edvs_TSGkY
2008 Yaris LE H&R 10mm spacers (rear), RS rear spoiler
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:22 PM   #446
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post

Just for fun, for you 2ZR folks, which filter would you buy and why? The SuperTech is $2.97, the Fram and the K&N are ~ $4.50 each. If you tell me your choice and reasoning, I'll tell you which one I bought and why. Play along if you're bored.

I feel a little silly quoting myself, but I went for the K&N, not because I'm a big fan, but because it had seemingly the largest surface area, although very close to the Fram, and it's supposed to be very high flow media. With the turbo, I'd like the most oil possible pumping through the system. I've heard good things about the SuperTech filters and wouldn't normally hesitate to use one, but it looks like it might be a little restrictive given how much of the media the end caps cover.
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged, Custom exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Edvs_TSGkY
2008 Yaris LE H&R 10mm spacers (rear), RS rear spoiler
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3rd gen 2zr swap with 6 speed stidnam Performance Modifications 37 05-05-2019 08:55 AM
Hyundai Turbo Veloster 150kw *MAD DOG* Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions 6 01-10-2012 12:35 AM
NEWS: TOYOTA REVEALS ALL-NEW YARIS SEDAN AT 2006 LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW VitzBoy General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 5 09-05-2010 08:53 PM
ZPI Turbo for one lucky Yaris owner..... ZPIracing Forced Induction Forum 27 04-26-2007 10:36 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:59 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.