Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
vst

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan x 2
HELP! Buying a used 2010 Sedan from a car rental company

After doing my homework and inspecting the car thoroughly, I have discovered a couple of things about this car:

(1) either the car was towed at some point in its early life or the manufacturer placed what appears to be a somewhat dirty tow tongue in the black pouch in the trunk. The tow hole in the front is also somewhat rusty inside. Again, can't conclusively say the car has been towed, but my best guess is it probably has. Does anyone else who has a 2010 Yaris sedan have a somewhat dirty tow tongue in the trunk? Can you check your tow "hole" and see if it too is somewhat rusty inside?

(2) I cannot seem to find the VIN on the front bumper. Does anyone know where to locate the VIN sticker on the front bumper? The carfax and the autocheck all came out clear. Also there are no indications that this car has been involved in an accident. Just want to make sure by eyeballing the VIN sticker on the front bumper.

(3) has anyone bought a used rental before? Are dealers difficult to work with for warranty work due to a rental past?

Thanks
vst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I would never buy a rental car. Some people abuse rental cars for fun.

I would pay new car price for the peace of mind of knowing how the car has been treated.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #3
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
My very first car was a rental purchase. Reselling it was very hard (although it was a chevy optra, in the midst of all the Gm bankruptcy talk).
I wouldn't buy a rental again.

I did have a tow tounge in my new 09 sedan, and while I can't recall it's exact condition, I don't remember thinking it was brand new.

The Vin number is usually right above the driver side dash area, and you should be able to read it from the outside of the car, looking down through the glass.
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:06 AM   #4
vst

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I know how to spot the vin on the vehicle, I was curious to know where to find the vin label on the front bumper (location for a 2010 base model sedan).
Old 03-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN1VVysHIQg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOuZp6MflE
Old 03-28-2011, 02:21 AM   #6
vst

If I post someone spitting on a burger, will you stop eating out?
Old 03-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Quote:
Originally Posted by vst View Post
If I post someone spitting on a burger, will you stop eating out?
Nope. I love burgers!

Heck, I know folks who drive there own cars like that. If their DD couldn't take stuff like that, they wouldn't want it around!

As long as you're careful (like it certainly appears you are being) and the price is right I'd buy one. The truth is when you buy ANY car you never really know what you're getting.

I bought a used Civic years ago I always suspected was a rental bought at auction by a dealer (they were upfront about it being an auction car). I drove it for years then my brother drove it another 12 years during which much of the operation resembled the above videos. He finally retired it-due to rust! No major issues. It is now a race car he uses periodically at the local tracks, lol.

I hope it works out for you!
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
HYang

Drives: Yaris 2010, sedan
If you're not 100% sure about the car, walk.

There are just too many cars out there for you to be spending your life deliberating whether or not a heavily used (ie. ex-rental) auto that has probably been towed for reasons the company is apparently not willing/unable to divulge, is still an acceptable buy.

If in doubt, WALK.
When you eventually come across a better deal (which you will), you'll be glad you had the patience to hold on to your $$$ a bit longer.
HYang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
vst

Update:

car is really good.

car was towed because it had a flat or two in its life time

car was checked at dealer and everything looked great.

Overall, not bad for what we paid for it. Had 28k miles, power package and convenience package, sedan, auto, all for $11,400 plus tax, tag, title.

All in all not a bad deal.

I do wish I had another key though. If I buy one from Ebay, can I program it myself?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #10
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
i bought a used yaris that had only the valet key (used in the repo imo). local toyota dealershhip cut me a new master key from the vin for $7.

just realized yours has power package...i would imagine the key is more expensive
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:12 AM   #11
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
If it's just the remote unlock I believe there is a way to get a remote key off ebay and program it yourself, but it requires a whole bunch of steps like opening and closing doors repeatedly in a specific sequence.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
vst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
If it's just the remote unlock I believe there is a way to get a remote key off ebay and program it yourself, but it requires a whole bunch of steps like opening and closing doors repeatedly in a specific sequence.
It has an engine immobilizer and power locks, so yes, it would require all that.

So, I can get the key "cut" just about anywhere (the blank) and do the programming myself, correct?

I'm getting ready to buy a key off Ebay.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #13
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I wonder how many oil changes it got in those 28K?
My guess is one. The day they put it up for sale.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
It has an engine immobilizer and power locks, so yes, it would require all that.

So, I can get the key "cut" just about anywhere (the blank) and do the programming myself, correct?

I'm getting ready to buy a key off Ebay.
No. If the car has the factory immobilizer, you need a chipped key. Then the dealer can cut and program the immobilizer system to work with the key. If you buy a non chipped key and get it cut, all it will do is allow you to open your doors but not start the car so make sure the Ebay key has a chip in it.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #15
vst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
No. If the car has the factory immobilizer, you need a chipped key. Then the dealer can cut and program the immobilizer system to work with the key. If you buy a non chipped key and get it cut, all it will do is allow you to open your doors but not start the car so make sure the Ebay key has a chip in it.
Is this a "Chipped" key and remote FOB all in one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND...Q5fAccessories

I'm thinking I can program this myself, but what about getting the blank cut? Can that be done at my local home depot?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #16
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Is this a "Chipped" key and remote FOB all in one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND...Q5fAccessories

I'm thinking I can program this myself, but what about getting the blank cut? Can that be done at my local home depot?

Thanks
Hard to say just by looking at it. You will need to ask the seller if this key has a transponder (that is the correct term) in it as well.

Toyota has four different types of keys:

1. keyless entry with transponder,
2. keyless entry without transponder,
3. transponder only, and
4. just a plain key.

Unfortunately the #1 and #2 keys look similar (which look like the key in the auction link) while the plain key is a little thinner than the transponder only key.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #17
vst

The one in the link says it's part # 89070-52850

So, that's the one with the transponder, correct?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #18
vst

So, I checked with the Seller and they said it does have the chip transponder included.

So, just to recap - I can program the key myself to work with the car and just cut the key part anywhere, right?