Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
Racerfreak's Suspension

This is what I have so far, I have had my springs for a while but wanted to wait for my sway bar before I installed them. I have everything now and will be installing them sometime in the next week or two. So far I have AOE TigerTech lowering springs and Ultra Racing 23mm rear sway bar. I'll keep an update on how the springs and the sway bar compare. I measured a 3" gap on my front tire and 3.5" gap on my rear tire. This isn't 100% accurate but I know I'm only of by 1/4 of an inch give or take.

RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
best measurement is from the ground up, not from the tire to the fender.

looks like you have half a start to a decent suspension. get some struts and shocks before you install those springs
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Drives: 2009 Yaris-S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
best measurement is from the ground up, not from the tire to the fender.

looks like you have half a start to a decent suspension. get some struts and shocks before you install those springs
+2349057809345

or else youre gonna have to the exact same thing again to install the struts. HUGE waste of time and money

lookin good so far though!
AdeJong 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #4
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Are you kidding, I got quoted at $300-700 from shops to install springs. I'm gonna install them myself, just gonna rent some spring compressors and I have a few mechanic friends who said they would lend me their garage and tools and help. Oh and I'm not buying shocks because I'm going to buy coilovers, these are just for the next year or two.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #5
Tamago

you don't need a spring compressor :)

make sure to take off your wiper tray, it'll make those front struts so much easier!
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
To simplify the process, install the swaybar only after changing out both rear springs.
And yes, without upgrading the dampers and depending on the rates of the new springs you do run the risk of pogoing down the road, ultra-rice style.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Speedjunkiejp

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Like Tamago said, a spring compressor is not needed going from stock to lowered. the springs are shorter and will not need compressing to put the top hat on. Taking the top hat off just use air gun and stand back LOL. This is the funnest part IMO to installing springs.
Speedjunkiejp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I'm running AOE TigerTecs, UR 23mm rear sway bar and Tokico Blues. Your going to LOVE the setup if you throw on the shocks as well. Be careful though, you might start eating through tires from having way too much fun once you learn how it handles ;)
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedjunkiejp View Post
Like Tamago said, a spring compressor is not needed going from stock to lowered. the springs are shorter and will not need compressing to put the top hat on. Taking the top hat off just use air gun and stand back LOL. This is the funnest part IMO to installing springs.

I chose to spend $30.00 (on sale) for a quality compressor and keep my teeth intact.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #10
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
I chose to spend $30.00 (on sale) for a quality compressor and keep my teeth intact.
you can rent them for free from your local auto parts store.
you nailed it sir.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
if you buy good struts, you wont need coilovers in a year.

what is the advantage to getting coilovers in a year?
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
if you buy good struts, you wont need coilovers in a year.

what is the advantage to getting coilovers in a year?
agreed. no one ever adjusts them 'for height' like they think they will. set it and forget it.

a cheap set of coilovers (ksport, megan, tein basic) will have struts that are similar to garbage, whereas buying a nice set of tokicos (or in my case, thank you Ken, koni yellows) puts you in premium strut-land.

if you're buying coilovers just to buy coilovers, you might as well buy some KW V3's lol
you nailed it sir.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
agreed. no one ever adjusts them 'for height' like they think they will. set it and forget it.

a cheap set of coilovers (ksport, megan, tein basic) will have struts that are similar to garbage, whereas buying a nice set of tokicos (or in my case, thank you Ken, koni yellows) puts you in premium strut-land.

if you're buying coilovers just to buy coilovers, you might as well buy some KW V3's lol
and if you are getting blues, i would buy xD blues, they have got to be stiffer. i love my tokicos, they beat the hell out of me lol
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #14
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

for coilovers I was considering silk road, cusco zero-one, or tein super compact if i could get my hands on some. You are right I may like it better with struts but i want to have .5 clearance.

Why do a lot of people act like i'll blow a strut within the first month of having them on stock struts? I thought there were plenty of people out there with springs on stock struts for a year plus?

Last edited by RacerFreakXXX; 09-09-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #15
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerFreakXXX View Post
for coilovers I was considering silk road, cusco zero-one, or tein super compact if i could get my hands on some. You are right I may like it better with struts but i want to have .5 clearance.

Why do a lot of people act like i'll blow a strut within the first month of having them on stock struts? I thought there were plenty of people out there with springs on stock struts for a year plus?
i think youll realize that you wont really want to spend the money on coils once you get a correctly set up spring/shock/strut combo

youre not gonna enjoy the full effects of getting springs if this is just a temporary fix

why do you want coils? for height adjustment?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:46 AM   #16
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
We are all suggesting you get the Tokicos or a performing shock/strut because your better off doing it right the first time around and not half assing it, since you already have some good springs and rear sway bar to throw on. Trust me, if you get the Tokico shocks/struts, you'll have the same exact set up that I'm running and you WON'T be sorry. Ever wonder what it's like to piss off some people with some more "expensive, sporty" cars in the turns? You'll find out soon enough if you go with upgrading the shocks/struts as well.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:57 AM   #17
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
We are all suggesting you get the Tokicos or a performing shock/strut because your better off doing it right the first time around and not half assing it, since you already have some good springs and rear sway bar to throw on. Trust me, if you get the Tokico shocks/struts, you'll have the same exact set up that I'm running and you WON'T be sorry. Ever wonder what it's like to piss off some people with some more "expensive, sporty" cars in the turns? You'll find out soon enough if you go with upgrading the shocks/struts as well.
+1

i could already do it stock. now i dont have to try as hard LOL
Old 09-10-2009, 01:37 AM   #18
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Yea, for $320 shipped you really can't go wrong, maybe I can hold off a bit for the shocks... however I am going to get coilovers for maily being able to change dampening rates. Does anyone know exactly what you reuse on the stock struts? I may just buy those parts so I can swap my stock suspension in for winter.