Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-10-2009, 01:57 AM   #19
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Yeah, I like my TRD shocks/S.Tech springs combo. But like I've said, I can really use a rear sway bar.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #20
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
you can rent them for free from your local auto parts store.

True, but my local stores tool was damaged and with no replacement on the horizon.
So for a measly $30.00 I have the tool inhand and can do the job at my leisure, not just when it's available (often booked out). Plus now I have it to share with other local enthusiasts.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #21
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
yes, it's useful if you're working on cars other than yarii, but it's completely unnecessary when installing lowering springs
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #22
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
is there any benefit to upgrading the shocks without getting new springs? I'm not sure I want to lower my car, I practically bottom out in and around town; and sometimes go off road; but want a bit of finer touch on the handling
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #23
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by scape View Post
is there any benefit to upgrading the shocks without getting new springs? I'm not sure I want to lower my car, I practically bottom out in and around town; and sometimes go off road; but want a bit of finer touch on the handling
absolutely, upgrading struts/shocks with stock springs will handle BETTER than a yaris on lowering springs and stock struts/shocks :)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #24
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Alright, so I am a victim of stock shocks/struts ( Which are dead now ), but I have TRD springs installed.

So what should I do for a good ride, quality? Change my springs? Or keep them and get the Tokico Blues?
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #25
Tamago

if you like the drop, keep the springs you have. definitely get some up-rated shocks/struts

kyb GR2's are another good-yet-cheap alternative to stock struts.

around $220 + shipping from tirerack
you nailed it sir.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #26
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
I like the drop, a LOT.
I like the handling, I just don't like how rough they are. I was wondering if I changed them to NF210's, and some Tokico shocks, maybe it would be better, or thats just a bad combination. If so, I will just go ahead and purchase the Tokico's and keep the TRD's I have now.

Its that the streets here in NYC, SUCK. So many bumps, and potholes. Unfixed for years in lots of locations that people drive through everyday unfortunately.

I would just want the car to remain on the floor, and not allow the tires to bounce off the floor causing jolts to go through the car, and slight loss of traction while in turns(highway speed), especially on wet floors.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #27
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Don't waste your money with NF210s, they are about the same rate and height as TRD springs. You will but them on and feel no difference.

You can get KYB GR2s if you want a stock replacement, or get the Tokico Blues if you want something a bit stiffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
I like the drop, a LOT.
I like the handling, I just don't like how rough they are. I was wondering if I changed them to NF210's, and some Tokico shocks, maybe it would be better, or thats just a bad combination. If so, I will just go ahead and purchase the Tokico's and keep the TRD's I have now.

Its that the streets here in NYC, SUCK. So many bumps, and potholes. Unfixed for years in lots of locations that people drive through everyday unfortunately.

I would just want the car to remain on the floor, and not allow the tires to bounce off the floor causing jolts to go through the car, and slight loss of traction while in turns(highway speed), especially on wet floors.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #28
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
detroiter do you have any pics of your car with the springs and struts? I'd love to see what it looks like.
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #29
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
it will look the same with struts... the ride height wont change.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #30
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
yes, it's useful if you're working on cars other than yarii, but it's completely unnecessary when installing lowering springs
can you stop saying compressors are completely unnecessary. they are a safe way to get the stock spring off the stock strut. not sure how that is unnecessary. were u able to do it without hurting yourself? maybe. but that doesn't make it safe.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:20 AM   #31
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerFreakXXX View Post
detroiter do you have any pics of your car with the springs and struts? I'd love to see what it looks like.

I'll take a couple for you tomorrow morning. Supposed to be a nice sunny day so shouldn't be a problem :)
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #32
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
can you stop saying compressors are completely unnecessary. they are a safe way to get the stock spring off the stock strut. not sure how that is unnecessary. were u able to do it without hurting yourself? maybe. but that doesn't make it safe.
i've done at least 40 spring installs without a spring compressor and NEVER been injured.

my technique is simple, safe, and saves time over monkeying around with compressors.

by the way i own a spring compressor set, and do use it when necessary, but it's simply not needed on a car as light as the yaris.
you nailed it sir.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #33
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
I have gotten away with it too. I have had some hairy moments with out one (ie strut ended up about 30 feet away lol) but in general, you dont need one.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #34
detroiter

RacerFreak....Here's those pics I promised you I'd take this morning.

Aoe TigerTec Springs, Tokico Blue shocks/struts, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway bar

Like I said, it's a very tasteful drop. It's not a 4x4 and it's not slammed either.
I'm very pleased with the springs and matched up with the Tokicos and UR sway bar,
it's a killer combination. I really do suggest you just getting the shocks so you can
do it right the first time and make it that much better as well.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #35
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
your car looks great thank you. I'm kinda debating about getting rid of the springs now and getting bc coils... but I have to really think about it.
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:53 PM   #36
detroiter

In all honesty, like a few other stated as well, you more than likely will just set the coilovers on a setting and never change them again. It's a lot of money to spend on something you might only mess with very sparingly. Before spending alot of money on coilovers, I HIGHLY suggest you spend the $300, which is nothing compared to a decent set of coilovers, see how you like the setup (of which I'm sure you would love it!) before spending that kind of amount.