Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-22-2019, 10:18 PM   #37
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
I plan to order an exhaust manifold gasket. Logic tells me that metal beats composite, but would take suggestions for my project. I assume that the OEM is metal.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #38
06YarisRS

Unboxing Tonight

Due to hockey practice and gymnastics, I will have to experience delayed gratification, unfortunately.

I did get a sneek peek as I have to open the boxes before crossing back into Canada. CBSA agents frown upon un-opened boxes.

Pics tonight for anyone interested.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 03-25-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:28 PM   #39
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
And who T.F. isn't interested!?!?!?!?!?!? Hahaha

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:31 PM   #40
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
And who T.F. isn't interested!?!?!?!?!?!? Hahaha
no kidding, I feel like its Christmas all over again
Old 03-24-2019, 09:16 PM   #41
06YarisRS

Unboxed...

Gotta say, Turbikits.com produce what seems like very high quality stuff. They also take great care in packaging. I did not opt for the cold air intake, but have asked the guys if there would be a performance difference and if the 'warmer' intake air from behind the engine would cause problems - with the filter attached directly to the compressor. I expect they'll say that the intercooler is more than enough to handle the warmer air. It is one BIG intercooler - hopefully I can make it fit! Also, the "cold air intake" places the filter basically beside the block (or at least would be in the more confined Yaris engine bay) so I don't think the intake air from behind the engine would be that much hotter anyway. We shall see what they say. After reading several threads about placing the filter directly on the compressor intake, I discovered there is much debate; lots of stated pros and cons for either approach.

T28, BTW, does have to have the compressor clocked 180 degrees counter-clockwise from its current position.

One of my Favs...downpipe. There is another sensor bung for the AFR sensor on the opposite side right up by the flange. If I am indeed going to go without the front Cat, I'm going to have to figure out how to eliminate the CEL that will show up. I think the F/IC has a strategy for dealing with it.

Definitely my fav part...manifold:

F/IC

Injectors

BOV

Piping (Good heavy gauge and exceptional welding). I can show a close up of the welding quality if anyone would like to see it.

Intercooler

1 bag of misc hardware

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 03-27-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:22 AM   #42
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Looks like good quality stuff.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #43
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Missing from pics - 1 intercooler

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #44
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:37 PM   #45
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
bing bong bing bong bing
Old 03-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #46
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I am very excite

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:31 PM   #47
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Missing from pics - 1 intercooler

Ah, so it is... Will rectify immediately!

Old 03-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #48
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
bing bong bing bong bing
AWESOME! Haha

Old 03-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #49
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I am very excite
Me too! Approaching project with mild trepidation, however. Hoping to go out this weekend and attempt to get that dang exhaust off.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #50
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
It is one BIG intercooler
It certainly is!
It looks bigger than specs on the site. Must be skinny plank flooring that it is resting on.

Last edited by WeeYari; 03-25-2019 at 03:59 PM.
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #51
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
It certainly is!
It looks bigger than specs on the site. Must be skinny plank flooring that it is resting on.

It is quite big, but should fit. I'm actually happy it's large with good cooling capacity since I'll be drawing intake air from behind the engine. I'll get my tape out tomorrow and get the dimensions of the intercooler.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:44 PM   #52
06YarisRS

Exhaust System Removal

Well, as cold as it is, I went out tonight for about a half hour to start my attack plan. I soaked all the manifold stud/nuts and exhaust shield components with Releasall. Removing the exhaust shield and manifold support and manifold may have to happen from both the top and the bottom, of course with the hood and wiper cowling removed. Fortunately most of the fasteners aren't rusted badly at all. Some of them are actually rust-free.

I also managed to get the stuck spring bolts at the manifold loosened and backed off. My next trip to the garage and the exhaust piping will be removed and hopefully the manifold.

These nuts should come off fairly easily, but I'll wiggle the nuts back and forth to slowly cut through the rust on the studs.

That donut looks a bit small to me! I'm amazed there wasn't an exhaust leak. It fit into the midpipe well, so I'm wondering if the Corolla and xD have slightly different manifold flanges.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:45 PM   #53
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
It is quite big, but should fit. I'm actually happy it's large with good cooling capacity since I'll be drawing intake air from behind the engine. I'll get my tape out tomorrow and get the dimensions of the intercooler.
Behind the engine? What intercooler set.up are you doing?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:55 PM   #54
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Behind the engine? What intercooler set.up are you doing?
I wasn't very clear. When I said "intake air", I meant for the turbo compressor. It's front mount intercooler but the turbo compressor air intake will just be the K&N filter attached directly to the turbo, no cold air intake. I spoke with the guys at TK and the cold air intake - that comes back up from behind the engine and wraps around, placing the filter basically between the engine and battery - is an option. They claim there are many cars with the kit that don't have the cold air intake. The large intercooler looks after any additional heat in the charge piping that might picked up behind the engine. Ultimately, I may come up with my own custom cold air intake. Although theirs is $195.00, it still lands the filter smack dab in the engine bay and up top where the hot air is. If it went somewhere where it could draw colder air, I probably would have bought it. I suppose I could have bought it, another bit of pipe and a coupler and directed it closer to the headlight where the stock airbox is. May do that yet.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 03-25-2019 at 10:36 PM.