Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
am i insane??

well, i gotta make a move soon, one way or another. i love small hatches, and i may trade my 06 corolla ce 5 spd. w/power locks, cruise package for yaris hatchback(auto bayou blue) with only convenience package. problem is, i was already upside down on the corolla. long story short, i'd be financing about $15350 (inclusing sales tax on this yaris hb. this seems crazy, as the car is only $13320 msrp. i just love the looks way more than my corolla. in almost every other way the corolla is more car (quieter, larger, more power, same or better mileage). still, im struggling. the payments will be about the same per month as my corolla. financially, i know ill be really upside down on the yaris, but i would plan to drive the car into the ground for 10-11 years, so im not sure im concerned. will this little car make it 10 yrs- 200k miles??
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:14 AM   #2
casterqc

Drives: Yaris
Consider yourself lucky...come here in Canada and you would pay around 18000$ with taxes for the Yaris.

Now what I don't understand is why you would trade a new car that you bought last year for a new one? Can't you wait a little? Do you have any problem with your Corolla?

A new car loses more value during the first 2 years. Plus, you were probably financing it...wich means that you would lose money if you sell it this year.
casterqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
roxy1

i could wait. what has enticed me is they are offering $13000 trade for the corolla. thats about 1k over kbb. other dealers were more like 11k. so, waiting would lower what i owe on the corolla, but its pretty unlikely i's ever get a 13 k offer on an 06 corolla with about 7k miles on it. (thats close to the private party value for the corolla, so it a very generous trade offer). i know the $13320 is msrp on the yaris. thats currently a fair price as they are all going with no discounts.

the only real problem i have with my corolla--its not a hatchback. the timing sucked. the yaris came to the us about 1 month after i bought the corolla. i badly needed to replace an aging, not woth fixing anymore, car. if i was smart i would have found a beater to drive a little while longer, but i was scared off by reports of several months wait to get a yaris hatchback. hindshight now, but i wish i would have waited.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1
will this little car make it 10 yrs- 200k miles??
It better and it should, being a Toyota and all! I plan to do the same.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
roxy1

if i had waited and got a yaris auto hb w/convenience package and never bought the corolla, msrp $13320 plus $800 sales tax, id have been financing $14120. (unlikely any $$ would have been put down). so at $15350 im $1220 in the hole.

over the long haul, im not so dramatically concerned about the finances of it. i now pay $266 on my corolla. id be paying $273 on the yaris. of course ive made 4 payments on my corolla, so that hurts.

a big concern is this: will i become dissatisfied with the auto in the yaris. i just didnt like the dynamics of the 5 spd in the yaris. the test drive of the auto seemed like there was enough get up and go. problem is, test drives can be rather limiting. it would be great to take the car for a day long test drive, but that isnt going to happen. any of you automatic owners have any regrets.

WARNING: DUMB QUESTION AHEAD--do auto transmissions tend to lose more of their power (lose compression??) as a car ages into the 100k+ miles compared to their manual transmission counterparts?
Old 08-22-2006, 12:49 PM   #6
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
I did almost the same thing with my 99 malibu, I still owed 4 grand on it when I traded it for the Yaris, they gave me 2 grand in trade. So my 15000 Yaris turned into 18000 after it was all said and done.
As far as transmissions go Im a huge fan of sticks in small cars. In the old days auto tranny's sucked up sometimes 60hp +/-, of course thats not really the case in the Yaris (I hope) but you will be losing more power in the auto than the manual. More than likely this will increase with age. I have owned a few small cars with both autos and manuals and hated the auto's. Just my personal opinion.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:55 PM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
To answer your question, yes, you would be.

For all you know in a couple years a sweet trim level will be offered with the Yaris and you'll be kicking yourself all over again. If I were you I would hang on to the Corolla for another couple years and see what happens. Its nice to be the first, but with brand new cars, you know how it is.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:10 PM   #8
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz
Im a huge fan of sticks in small cars
Me too, its really the only kind of car I acutally WANT to drive a stick in 100% for sure, esp the yaris! More fun, little peppy stick-box

Stick just suits the Yaris hatch in my mind!
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #9
roxy1

actually, im fine with the trim level as it is. my favorite car was an '89 civic hatchback 4 spd manual-no air cond even. i need air and cd player. i dont care much about anything else. i was hoping to see some automatic owners give the yaris some love, especially since a large majority of owner have to have the auto. i know the 5 speed will be more fun, but not much faster.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:47 PM   #10
sroberts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I love my auto. I like being able to just get in a drive and I do not have any power problems around town and especially not on the highway....but it also depends on how fast you drive. I use to be kinda of a speedy driver but I kind of take it easy now. I like getting the good gas mileage.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:32 PM   #11
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroberts
I like getting the good gas mileage.
I gotta start conditioning myself to not mind going 100 or 120km/h on the 400 when I drive to TO. Bc rigth now I average like 140/145km/h when I drive from Barrie to Toronto.

I must lose SO MUCH in mileage!

I need to resist the urge to go at fun, quick speeds like that!

Jem
Old 08-22-2006, 06:37 PM   #12
roxy1

well, i found a dealer with a stick on his lot. not only do i prefer a 5 spd, but it is considerably cheaper. this dealer has also approved me thru toyo financial, and i am getting a better rate.

question for self: can i deal with that vivd RED color??ive never really liked red, but it doesnt look bad on this car.

im gettin close to pullin the trigger.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:47 PM   #13
sroberts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1
well, i found a dealer with a stick on his lot. not only do i prefer a 5 spd, but it is considerably cheaper. this dealer has also approved me thru toyo financial, and i am getting a better rate.

question for self: can i deal with that vivd RED color??ive never really liked red, but it doesnt look bad on this car.

im gettin close to pullin the trigger.

You better pull it before someone else does
Old 08-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #14
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroberts
You better pull it before someone else does
haha, TRUE SAY, esp in the states.

Up here, not nearly the same shortage as yall have down there.