Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Exclamation HELP! Random Engine Cut-Off!!!

This happens to me randomly. I'm topping the MPH (90mph) and RPM (6500) in 3rd gear, when I put 4th gear the car does this things:

1. You hear the same "bbbrrrrrrrr" sound of a paintball gun that ran out of gas (CO2). And then a complete engine silence.

2. The throttle doesn't respond. If step on it nothing happens at all

3. The CEL light starts blinking (Its alway on because of the Corolla TB, I've scan it and the Cel is because of the TB).

4. After like 30 seconds the throttle starts to respond but only if press lightly. If you go full throttle the car starts to "missfire" and stars making the same "bbbbrrrrrr" sound I said bafore.

5. Then the CEL stops blinking and the car goes back to normal.

Mods:
-Custom CAI
-Header
-Corolla TB
-2" Custom Exhaust (only 1 cat) with a generic 2" muffler.
-Underdrive crank pulley

Any help, ideas, explainations would be gladly accepted
Old 02-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
You should check with the good folks over at microimage.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Well, since you're hitting the rev limiter hard and repeatedly, you may be kicking-in the fuel cut-off more severely than just bumping the limiter. Sounds like you're being pretty rough on the fuel/ignition system.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
When the check engine light is blinking. That indicates that the vehicle is missfiring hard and catalitic converter damage is happening. Means stop the car immediately and bring to local repair shop. I would not continue to drive the car this way till you can have a professional look at it. Or it could cost you a new cat and for our car could run close to a grand.

Have the codes scanned again and please post the numbers on here. IE P0301 etc whatever it says.

Last edited by YarisSedan; 02-15-2010 at 04:08 PM.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
When the check engine light is blinking. That indicates that the vehicle is missfiring hard and catalitic converter damage is happening. Means stop the car immediately and bring to local repair shop. I would not continue to drive the car this way till you can have a professional look at it. Or it could cost you a new cat and for our car could run close to a grand.

Have the codes scanned again and please post the numbers on here. IE P0301 etc whatever it says.
I'll scan it as soon as posible, the cat damage doesn't really bothers me that much since I'm planning on removing it, but the MISSFIRING part wories me the most.

And the random part really gets me cause if it was a constant thing I could take it to a professional ASAP and get him to chek it.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Well missfires tend to occur more under a heavy load thats why it dosnt do it when you feather it slightly. If i would have to guess your problem i would say a mass air flow sensor. Will cause your car to sputter missfire and check engine light to blink when you push the gas hard but lightly feather it should be okay.

Its most likely culprit also since you have a custom CAI depends on where you relocated the maf sensor and how dirty your air filter is. I would try taking it out and examining the sensor if its dirty try cleaning it.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:00 AM   #7
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I think if you remove your cat you'll constantly be running with the check engine light on. The computer expects inputs from the front and rear O2 sensors indicating that there is a working catalyst between them.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
Pur_Blu

Drives: NCVC craziest
Send a message via AIM to Pur_Blu Send a message via Yahoo to Pur_Blu
I've had the same problem...

MODS
drop in K&N filter
Headers
2.25" Catless exhaust

Had the CEL light ever since the exhaust, i never hit the limiter it just happens when i drive it hard in 3rd 4th or 5th. I doesn't bug me cuz i know it can really damage anything. The car just runs in safe mode to prevent damage. I have a 02 spacer but i guess its not far enough out the exhaust stream.

I'll check the code again but im sure it will tell me what i already know. Maybe a 02 sim??
Pur_Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
No offense since it's your car and you can destroy the engine if you want, but I feel sorry for whoever buys it from you someday.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
When it acts up in 4th, is it still at the same speed that it shut off in 3rd (90mph)? or does it start sputtering when it gets up to the 113 mph area?

If that is the situation, you have hit the rev limiter in 3rd and the vehicle speed limiter in 4th.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
dingbat

Drives: '10 3D Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisPR View Post

4. After like 30 seconds the throttle starts to respond but only if press lightly. If you go full throttle the car starts to "missfire" and stars making the same "bbbbrrrrrr" sound I said bafore.
This part sounds like the engine not getting enough gas. Throttle responds on mostly closed end - little gas, little air. Misfires on open end - too much air for the little gas it's getting.
dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #12
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
No offense since it's your car and you can destroy the engine if you want, but I feel sorry for whoever buys it from you someday.
Yep.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #13
Pur_Blu

Drives: NCVC craziest
Send a message via AIM to Pur_Blu Send a message via Yahoo to Pur_Blu
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
Sell the car?? ha ha NEVER but for real though for me its running thru the gears no where near the limiter.

I might have to make a quick video just so people can see what we're talking about.

i've though about getting an intake to give the car more air
Pur_Blu is offline   Reply With Quote