Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Exscotticus

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Genuine Yaris parts: a coat hanger?

We purchased a 2009 Yaris liftback new direct from the dealership. We have manual locks. Just after the three-year warranty expired, the driver-side door lock button felt increasingly abnormal. The button did not seem to move all the way forward when locking. Eventually, there was no way to really lock the door--either from the inside or with a key. We called the dealership and I explained the situation and especially emphasized the part where we had manual locks. The mechanic suggested a linkage issue and quoted $150 for parts and $150 for labor. After my wife and I had a good laugh, we decided to investigate ourselves. Using this forum (thank you!) we were able to remove the door panels, etc., to see what was going on...

If you're wondering what that metal thing is that looks like a piece of coat hanger, well, it is in fact a piece of metal coat hanger...

We removed the coat hanger, reassembled, and the lock works perfectly.

My question to the forum is: wtf?

I suspect our car originally had power locks and that they were hastily removed by the dealership for the sale since we didn't opt for them. I suspect that's when this coat hanger made its way into the door.

My follow up question to the forum is: what purpose did the coat hanger serve?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, when the repairs were completed, my wife and I paid ourselves $150 (for the labor).
Exscotticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It was definitively a DIY power lock install, as the device on the left in your bottom picture is a $5 actuator.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Exscotticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It was definitively a DIY power lock install, as the device on the left in your bottom picture is a $5 actuator.
Yeah that's why I believe the vehicle came with power locks from the factory, and then the dealership removed at least some of it because we didn't want that option. But why would the dealership then add this coat hanger linkage? It doesn't make any sense. We purchased the car new directly from the dealership.

-S
Old 10-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
kou

Drives: 08 lb
The coat hanger is part of the power door lock system that they should have removed when you said you didnt want it.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Exscotticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kou View Post
The coat hanger is part of the power door lock system that they should have removed when you said you didnt want it.
Yes it makes sense. But it also means that the coat hanger is a genuine Toyota Yaris part, which seems incredulous.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exscotticus View Post
Yeah that's why I believe the vehicle came with power locks from the factory, and then the dealership removed at least some of it because we didn't want that option. But why would the dealership then add this coat hanger linkage? It doesn't make any sense. We purchased the car new directly from the dealership.

-S
It definitely did not come from the factory with power locks, based on your pictures, but rather the prior owner did a bit of a hack job of self installing an aftermarket kit. OEM power locks have the actuator integrated into the door latch assembly, rather than having an external aftermarket actuator.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

With your mention of purchasing it "new"; how many miles were actually on it when you took ownership?
Old 10-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
Exscotticus

Quote:
It definitely did not come from the factory with power locks, based on your pictures, but rather the prior owner did a bit of a hack job of self installing an aftermarket kit. OEM power locks have the actuator integrated into the door latch assembly, rather than having an external aftermarket actuator.
That makes sense. But it also means that when we purchased this car new from the dealership, it wasn't actually new, but was acquired by the dealership from someone else and presented to us as new. How would I confirm this? Wouldn't a record of sale or title issuance or something exist somewhere?
Old 10-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exscotticus View Post
That makes sense. But it also means that when we purchased this car new from the dealership, it wasn't actually new, but was acquired by the dealership from someone else and presented to us as new. How would I confirm this? Wouldn't a record of sale or title issuance or something exist somewhere?
That's why I was asking about how many miles were on it at the time of purchase.

It could also have been a case where your dealer or another that they acquired the car from had begun to "dealer upgrade" it to power. But, then you came along and wanted one without, so they stopped the upgrade and sold it to you without completing the work.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
Exscotticus

Quote:
That's why I was asking about how many miles were on it at the time of purchase.
The vehicle was definitely new. The mileage listed on the title is 16, the mileage when we took possession of the vehicle was around 100, no dings or scratches, genuine (not detailed) new car smell. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the car hadn't been driven off the lot and then back on, driven from one lot to another, etc. Who knows?

Is there any forum rule about not mentioning the actual dealership? I'm not making any accusations, but it's info others might want to know.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
I purchased mine new and it only had 7 miles on it, so it sounds like someone test drove the car, or some combination of what CTScott is implying went on. and they can call a car new i think up to 12k miles so yea looks like some form of exchange process happened in conjunction to half ass work.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

^Exactly. And, no problem mentioning the dealership, particularly as it gives others a head-up. You could contact them to try to find out the story, but typically once you leave the lot with the car amnesia sets in.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
Exscotticus

I'm just glad I didn't pay Larry Miller Toyota for power locks or keyless entry, knowing now that they would have given me a hack job aftermarket solution involving a coat hanger. I'm surprised I didn't find any duct tape...

One can only imagine what would have happened had I taken the vehicle to the dealership instead of investigating the issue on my own. "Oh you needed an x and a y and a z. It wasn't easy! $150 parts; $150 labor".
Old 10-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #14
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
Quote:
^Exactly. And, no problem mentioning the dealership, particularly as it gives others a head-up. You could contact them to try to find out the story, but typically once you leave the lot with the car amnesia sets in.
granted i did buy it before the dealership had a chance to actually take delivery of it, which helped keep them from having a chance to do much more than put their sticker on it and fill the tank.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote