Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #37
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Sorry to hear about Dad. Lost my Mum recently (cancer), so understand where you're at. Wrenching is good therapy; wife is also happy to have those misc. boxes of stuff go to the garage, lol.

Good luck with the install!
--Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #38
Type-Y

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
Sorry to hear about Dad. Lost my Mum recently (cancer), so understand where you're at. Wrenching is good therapy; wife is also happy to have those misc. boxes of stuff go to the garage, lol.

Good luck with the install!
--Adam
Thanks man, I appreciate that. My condolences to you as well. I read through most of your thread (very impressive) and each time you mentioned your mum, it gave me that familiar sinking/sickening feeling; hoping for the best as I read through it, but at the same time I kind of knew where it was heading, unfortunately. Sad. It's tough and I hope you're coping reasonably well.

I'm not much of a wrencher (which is why I drive a Toyota & Subaru, lol), but I'm enjoying the research of planning and picking of parts. I may try my hand at doing the axle back once I decide which one to go with. That may be within my limited skill set.
Type-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #39
Type-Y

Got the Tein's installed today. Pics coming soon...
Old 07-12-2018, 11:33 PM   #40
Type-Y

Here are some photos. I got my new rims mounted at the same time.

Tein install 1.jpg
Tein install coil shot 2.jpg
Tein install Coil shot 1.jpg
Tein install car down 1.jpg
Tein install car down 3.jpg
Tein install street 3.jpg
Old 07-13-2018, 12:05 AM   #41
hachi-roku_fan

Drives: 1986 Toyota Corolla
Looks good!! How's the ride? Anything special about the install?
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #42
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Super improvement, looks great

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #43
Type-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi-roku_fan View Post
Looks good!! How's the ride? Anything special about the install?
They snapped three sockets removing the passenger strut, but otherwise they did it in about an hour and a half. Great shop btw, InTrack Tires in Queens in case anyone is local.

I noticed a big difference on the ride home from the shop yesterday. The car is lower, stiffer, tighter; it felt great. I got to drive through Forest Park for a bit with some curvy roads and it feels planted in the turns. Initial impression is that this is a huge improvement. Very happy with it. I go back next week for final adjustments and an alignment (feels perfect now as it is really).
Old 07-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #44
Type-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Super improvement, looks great
Thanks! I totally agree After they were done one of the guys said it looked like a different car. It does.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #45
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-Y View Post
Thanks man, I appreciate that. My condolences to you as well. I read through most of your thread (very impressive) and each time you mentioned your mum, it gave me that familiar sinking/sickening feeling; hoping for the best as I read through it, but at the same time I kind of knew where it was heading, unfortunately. Sad. It's tough and I hope you're coping reasonably well.

I'm not much of a wrencher (which is why I drive a Toyota & Subaru, lol), but I'm enjoying the research of planning and picking of parts. I may try my hand at doing the axle back once I decide which one to go with. That may be within my limited skill set.
Hey, apologies, I completely missed this reply.. Appreciate the kind words - everyone is doing better and back to routine for the most part, thanks; just have to deal with the estate and legal junk..

From your axle-back thread it looks like you've taken the plunge - wrench on my friend, wrench on! Everyone starts somewhere.

Car is looking great with the new setup. Glad to hear it's nice and planted on the road. Keep us posted how they settle in. Tien's are on my list to look at when I eventually get to swapping suspension, so I'll be looking forward to your feedback.

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:00 PM   #46
Type-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
Hey, apologies, I completely missed this reply.. Appreciate the kind words - everyone is doing better and back to routine for the most part, thanks; just have to deal with the estate and legal junk..

From your axle-back thread it looks like you've taken the plunge - wrench on my friend, wrench on! Everyone starts somewhere.

Car is looking great with the new setup. Glad to hear it's nice and planted on the road. Keep us posted how they settle in. Tien's are on my list to look at when I eventually get to swapping suspension, so I'll be looking forward to your feedback.

-- Adam
No worries. Glad that things are getting back to normal.

As for the Tien's, I had a very loud metallic thud sound coming from the back when going over larger bumps for the first week. It only happened on particularly jarring bumps though. I mentioned this when I went back for my alignment and they checked everything and all looked to be installed correctly. After the alignment it happened again and then it hit me to check the firmness level. They set the back on almost the softest setting and once I set it to Tien's recommended, which is 8 from the firmest setting, it seems to have solved the problem. I didn't really realize how bouncy the car felt on the softer setting by comparison, but now they feel firm and the car feels even tighter than before. This thing really turns almost flat; on-ramps and off-ramps are particularly fun now. It's a big improvement in handling (and looks). That said, on crappy roads you definitely feel it.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #47
Type-Y

So, I spoke too soon. The loud metallic clunking noise is back. It comes from both sides in the rear when driving over bumps at speed. It’s very loud and the shop that installed them can’t find anything wrong with them. Any suggestions?
Old 08-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #48
hachi-roku_fan

Maybe he springs are binding? Any wear on any parts to hint at what's making contact?
Old 08-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #49
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
fwiw I have a similar noise coming from my rear end. There appears to be nothing loose, I think it has to do with the springs binding against one another. If everything checks out then don't worry too much about it other than an annoying noise
Old 08-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #50
Type-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi-roku_fan View Post
Maybe he springs are binding? Any wear on any parts to hint at what's making contact?

I'll have to get under there to check it out. Will report back.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #51
Type-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
fwiw I have a similar noise coming from my rear end. There appears to be nothing loose, I think it has to do with the springs binding against one another. If everything checks out then don't worry too much about it other than an annoying noise

Really hoping that's not the case. The Street Advance Z is not even a true coilover in the rear on the Yaris, its just a shock and spring with the adjustability bracket on top of the spring.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #52
Type-Y

So the loud metal on metal sound from the back is still there over large bumps. It's worse on the driver's side, but happens on the passenger side too. The front is fine no matter what holes/bumps I hit and at whatever speed.

I went back to the installation instructions and noticed that the rear shocks come with bump stops, so I'm guessing that either they were not installed or they blew out (if that's possible). I need to get the car lifted to check under there to be sure. But right now it sounds like there's nothing acting as cushion when the shocks are fully compressed and that's what I believe is causing the noise. I wish I had a go pro to mount under there to record what is happening.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:30 PM   #53
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Are you possibly still running with factory bump stops in place? If yes, then you will definitely be bottoming out against the stops.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2018, 09:47 AM   #54
hachi-roku_fan

Let us know how this gets resolved. I'm still on the edge with this since I know my wife would not be too happy if I did this and made the car worse lol. It's her car, but I drive, so I am modding as things need replacing.