Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Just replaced the diaphragm in my mower...............

Well the ol Briggs and Stratton was running rough, surging, almost stalling, diaphragm needed to be replaced, ok np, after all, I have installed cruise control and key less entry in my car.

So I go to pick up the diaphragm kit from the "mower guy" and we get to talking, he tells me I should be treating my mower, snow blower gas with Sta-Bil Marine (Blue/Green in color) to offset, neutralize the caustic effects the ethanol in the gas has on the rubber components in the mower.

So the question I have is, would it be prudent to treat my Automobile gas with the same stuff? Can it even be used in Autos?

Is or has anyone tried or been doing this? Any adverse effects? There is talk of E85 (15% Ethanol) being the norm in the future.

Or is all this concern of ethanol eating through every non-metallic part in my car unfounded?

Cheers,
NEexpat
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
dferguson2

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
buy a bottle of StaBill from the parts house. The staybill is added to you gas can and will stop the rubber parts from failing in small engines, and stop the gumming up of every thing due to the ethonol had the same problem with a new mower. A pro sawer turned me on the solution.
dferguson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Sta bil is good if you put your machines away for extended periods of time without use. It helps with keeping the gasoline fresh and from breaking down.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
please correct me if I am wrong but E85 is 85% ethanol and can only be ran in flex fuel vehicles. around here we regularly have E10 which is 10% ethanol but is supposedly safe for regular vehicles (though the mileage suffers).

I don't think you have to do anything to your atuomobile for small amounts of ethanol (E10) but I don't think E85 will even run in a conventional engine.

I do live in the united states so the systems may be different. I can't say about systems outside of the US. I have heard good things about sta-bil but have never used it. my mower is put up for winter and I try to get the fuel level low before I quit for the winter. I have never had a problem and mine is a bottom of the line murray riding mower (12.5hp, 40" cut) and I have had it for 8 years. If I actually invested in a good mower, I would probably consider it though.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Stabil is a good fuel stabilizer, for gas that is not used for weeks or months. Keeps varnish and gums from forming in fuel system. I get my gas for the mower in a 5 gal container and put a bit in every time I fill it up. It's cheap insurance and treats the gaskets and such too. Makes the mower easier to start next spring also. Marine version? hadn't heard of it, but I live in Kansas too, so......LOL It isn't gonna hurt you toys that's for sure and can save a ton of grief.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
BEEF,

Sorry my mistake, I meant to type E15, not E85, everything around here is E10 as well.

I read on this forum that someone was concerned of talk that they are going to E20 in the future.

I have been using the regular Sta-bil for years in my mowers and snow blowers, this MARINE line is supposed to have some effect on the ethanol in the gas.

cheers
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
ok, I am actually pretty lucky as we still have ethanol free gas so I am doing pretty good mileage wise. my daily driver (1997 cavalier) is doing about 35-40% over epa.

my mower is a bit of a "good-nuff" right now.

I may look into stabil as my yard is smaller so the 4ish gallons that I use is going to be used much slower.