Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #19
B.B._07
 
Drives: 07 5dr
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: YYC
Posts: 104
In my opinion Sylvania SilverStar's, GE Nighthawk, etc and all the other premium performance halogen headlight bulbs are one giant waste of money. There's a reason why those bulbs don't come as OE on any vehicles and it's because the performance gains are generally marginal, the prices are ridiculous compared to standard halogen, and the durability is often questionable.

Long life halogen bulbs are another great waste of money. Just today I saw an ad in a CT flyer for 2 long life Sylvania H11 bulbs for only $50! The H4 bulbs in the Yaris have an shorter lifespan that the newer H11 bulbs and it's still common for them to last up to 10 years. So anybody buying a long life H11 bulb had better plan on hanging on to that car for the next 20 years to justify the high price of those bulbs.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #20
Exiwolfman
 
Exiwolfman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wasaga beach
Posts: 1,587
Daytime running lights is what kills the bulbs I'm almost two years on my silverstar bulbs by simply removing the daytime running function box under the dash driver side.
I run led front Park light 6000k and they are supper bright so I can run in park light mode if needed with great visibility from the front just like daytimes.
But that is just me and its just the gray area when it comes to laws.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #21
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd Turbo
 
Bluevitz-rs's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
Daytime running lights is what kills the bulbs I'm almost two years on my silverstar bulbs by simply removing the daytime running function box under the dash driver side.
I run led front Park light 6000k and they are supper bright so I can run in park light mode if needed with great visibility from the front just like daytimes.
But that is just me and its just the gray area when it comes to laws.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
why don't you just rewire so the park bulbs are used instead of the main lights for your DRLs
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #22
Exiwolfman
 
Exiwolfman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wasaga beach
Posts: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
why don't you just rewire so the park bulbs are used instead of the main lights for your DRLs
One could but to lazy this works fine for me.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #23
thebarber
daily driver
 
thebarber's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 echo RS
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 5,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
why don't you just rewire so the park bulbs are used instead of the main lights for your DRLs
how do you disable DRL's on the echo? is it as easy as unplugging the DRL relay like the yaris?

while i like the idea of parking light DRL, it IS easier to just unplug the DRL module and turn on the lights when you need them....unless you have an RS yaris with factory fogs
__________________
thebarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:32 PM   #24
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brossard, QC
Posts: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
how do you disable DRL's on the echo? is it as easy as unplugging the DRL relay like the yaris?

while i like the idea of parking light DRL, it IS easier to just unplug the DRL module and turn on the lights when you need them....unless you have an RS yaris with factory fogs
Adam, i believe the DRL module works exactly the same as the one found in the Yaris. You have one wire that will activate the low beam on a pulse. Just take that and tap it to the light you want to turn on as DRL..

If you unplug the module, you will lose the handbrake light on the dash.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
__________________
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:54 AM   #25
thebarber
daily driver
 
thebarber's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 echo RS
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 5,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Adam, i believe the DRL module works exactly the same as the one found in the Yaris. You have one wire that will activate the low beam on a pulse. Just take that and tap it to the light you want to turn on as DRL..

If you unplug the module, you will lose the handbrake light on the dash.
lose the ebrake light? thats odd...
__________________
thebarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #26
Exiwolfman
 
Exiwolfman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wasaga beach
Posts: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
lose the ebrake light? thats odd...
It's fine on mine, light still there.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #27
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brossard, QC
Posts: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
It's fine on mine, light still there.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Barber got an echo. The only thing that affects the Yaris is the fog lights. Just tap the orange wire to ground. For me, I modified the relay box to turn on the fogs as DRL. It's the big blue wire that I wired up to the orange wire. I also had to add a cap so cancel out the pulsing effect since the fog relay doesn't like that.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
__________________
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #28
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brossard, QC
Posts: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
lose the ebrake light? thats odd...
Yeah, I went with 100w H4 bulbs in the end on my echo, until I sold it.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
__________________
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:27 PM   #29
thebarber
daily driver
 
thebarber's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 echo RS
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 5,620
well, im aiming to projector retrofit the echo and with a pair of big LED spot fogs up front like a rally car
__________________
thebarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:00 PM   #30
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brossard, QC
Posts: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
well, im aiming to projector retrofit the echo and with a pair of big LED spot fogs up front like a rally car
Just unplug the module and call it a day. Make your own relay for the fogs.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
__________________
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #31
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brossard, QC
Posts: 3,556
Canadians who bought Sylvania silverstar bulbs...


http://www.clg.org/Class-Action/Clai...ania-Headlight

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
__________________
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:14 PM   #32
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd Turbo
 
Bluevitz-rs's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,903
interesting...
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #33
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,716
Appears to be an extension to Canadians of a lawsuit (Chaudhri v. Osram Sylvania) filed in September 2011

http://www.law360.com/cases/4e808d59...00007/articles
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #34
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Canadians who bought Sylvania silverstar bulbs...


http://www.clg.org/Class-Action/Clai...ania-Headlight

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
I joined the lawsuit shortly after you posted this. I didn't actually think anything would really happen but today I received a settlement cheque. Drum roll please...a whopping $9.93, about 1/6th what I paid for them.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low beams & High beams on together? Deathegg DIY / Maintenance / Service 22 03-10-2014 11:54 PM
Low Beams not working Karri'es Yaris DIY / Maintenance / Service 7 02-10-2012 09:34 PM
NEED ENGINE CHECK LIGHT CODE LIST Attitude Forced Induction Forum 12 04-11-2011 06:38 PM
Problem with low beams and High Beams thebarbrr DIY / Maintenance / Service 7 09-22-2010 08:43 AM
Fog lamps as back up low beams. ellenbetty General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 120 10-22-2009 06:40 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.