Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-19-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
weedtank
I need more stars

Drives: Liftback
What happened?

Hey guys, just wondering what you guys think happened to my tire. I was driving on the freeway today cruising about 70mph when I see my TPMS light go off and my car starting to wobble pretty bad. I pulled over and see this. I'm sure I didn't hit any pot holes and there were no puncture marks..Any ideas what happened?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
a serious malfunction could be a defect ouch
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
That's classic underinflated tire failure. The TPMS light caught it before but the leak was probably severe enough that it deflated quickly. Notice the split is right about where the sidewall would be resting on the ground if the tire had no air in it. I had the same thing happen to me with my last car. Ran over a board on I16 in the middle of the night and 10 or so miles later, whump-whump-whumpSPLIT. Tread was completely gone leaving me with a wheel and two rubber bands on each side.

Sorry to hear about it and hope your wheel isn't damaged any.

-SAV

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
weedtank
I need more stars

Drives: Liftback
Thanks for the informative reply sav912. Do you think the tpms was defective? Wouldn't it come on soon before tearing like that due to under inflation?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
If nothing else, it it drives home the point that one should never rely on a TPMS to insure proper inflation.

Personaly, I routinely do a "walk around" for a qick inspection berfore unlocking my car in the morning or, whenever it's warrented.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
I've had to have the TPMS in my car 'reset' twice. Once it wasn't reading low tires and a cold snap in the area was believed to be the blame for a 'shock' to the system. I was riding around on an 18 PSI tire without the light being on. A second time, the light DID come on and all tires were properly up at 38 PSI.

Moral being, the TPMS is a guide. Not the be all, end all. I use it as a reference, because it did catch a seeping nail hole for me once. But it is a reference, nothing more.

I'd check that tire for a puncture somewhere. There may not be a nail head, but something caused some pretty rapid deflation. Hope you get on the road again soon though!

-SAV

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
CAyaris

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to CAyaris
Sorry bout the tire blow. Hope everything was alright