Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-13-2012, 04:45 AM   #37
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
I'm going to be installing power locks/ windows tomorrow. I'm assuming the plastic covering the bone of the door is there. Do I just got the plastic off or do I have to cut it somewhere specifically and it'll 'reattach' ?
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #38
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyzticZ3r0 View Post
I'm going to be installing power locks/ windows tomorrow. I'm assuming the plastic covering the bone of the door is there. Do I just got the plastic off or do I have to cut it somewhere specifically and it'll 'reattach' ?
You can gently peel the plastic layer off of the black goo where you need to get under it. You will have to make a couple of cuts through it where you will bring the wires through it.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #39
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You can gently peel the plastic layer off of the black goo where you need to get under it. You will have to make a couple of cuts through it where you will bring the wires through it.
Thanks Scott! I can't wait to start. Hopefully, I'll have the switches installed by the end of the day ;).
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #40
dmaynerd
I've made a post!

Drives: toyota yaris
door panel removal

thanks very much, I just fixed my daughters central locking.

david
dmaynerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #41
Lars
Yaris beginner

Drives: Yaris XP9F
Hi! Thanks for this!

I bought some two-way speakers with separate tweeters. Any chance anyone can do a dyi for the tweeters? I'm sure it must be pretty basic but I'd rather see a DIY than breaking something... :/ Thanks!
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:59 AM   #42
jazzyb88

Drives: 2009 Hatchback
Sorry to bring up this old thread but have a question on the plastic sheeting... :)

I am thinking, would it be fine just to cut through it around the edges of where it is glued and then re-tape it with duct tape, rather than spend time trying to peel it back? Or would something like a hair dryer help in trying to peel it off from where it is glued?

I just know that sometimes on jobs like these this tiny bit could take the longest time and cause the most hassle!

Thanks
jazzyb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #43
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
Patience is everything it took me to peel it off ;)
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #44
jazzyb88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj92 View Post
Patience is everything it took me to peel it off ;)
And it was fine on both sides?

If so...I'll give it a go but suppose it tears, I assume you can replace the whole sheet quite easily? Must be something you can buy from your local DIY shed?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #45
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyb88 View Post
And it was fine on both sides?

If so...I'll give it a go but suppose it tears, I assume you can replace the whole sheet quite easily? Must be something you can buy from your local DIY shed?
I tend to always put at least a small rip in when pulling the plastic, but I just tape the rips with duct tape. Heating the black goo would probably help.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:48 AM   #46
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Just a minor point about the window cranks - many cars besides the Yaris use this kind of clip to hold the window crank on - (e.g. Chevys). Tools for removing the clip are quite common and readily available from parts supply stores.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:28 AM   #47
jazzyb88

Thanks for the comments.

Just one other question...if you apply noise isolation material on top e.g. closed cell foam, do people generally then not bother with the waterproof membrane then? In the pictures I've seen on the forum, it looks like that but wondering why as I didn't think CCF was waterproof?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #48
jazzyb88

Bit of an update: I managed to successfully install speakers on both sides and at the same time, added sound deadening and noise isolating material. 1stToyota's idea of using a utility knife is spot on - I came to the same conclusion after removing a bit of it and realising it would be much easier to just cut through it.

I don't think it makes sense to heat the goo as I suspect that might make it stick even more (and we don't want to melt or make the plastic stretch with the heat!)

Interestingly, on the drivers side, they hadn't stuck it down properly from factory (there was a gap at the bottom)

Seems to me the Yaris doors don't really get wet on the inside as it had been raining overnight and when I inspected it, it was pretty much dry. That and the fact it hadn't been stuck down properly and i've never had issues with water coming inside.

I manged to mangle only one clip, so have ordered some replacements from eBay and will replace it when I have some time (I think I also need to do the same on the rear as those clips were much worse to get out).

One thing I did do is run the speaker wire behind the vapour barrier. There isn't a big problem in doing that is there? I made sure the wire isn't flapping around so if any water does run down the door, it won't be in contact with the wire.

On the stock speakers, the connectors are at the front but on aftermarket speakers, the wiring is on the back and couldn't seem to find any info saying you can't run it down the back?

It does sound a fair bit quieter now that all the doors have deadening material and CCF applied. I still have a few sheets of deadener and CCF left over so need to think where else to put it! :)
Old 10-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #49
eepp

Drives: Yaris 2008 RS
Thanks a lot for those steps!

Some personal notes:

I didn't have any rug readily available, so I simply pulled the window handle's base apart with a flat screwdriver (the actual door's plastic is loose and may be pushed inside with some force), found the clip there and pushed it out with another, tiny flat screwdriver and success! This is really the trickiest part of this whole process. Beware that the clip is between the handle's base and the plastic washer. You can get a nice side view by looking through the door handle (the hole in the grey plastic).

Reinstalling the window handle is super easy: assemble the clip on the handle, put the washer and push it directly on the crank shaft; it will clip and stay there (it may enter easily this way, but cannot get out by pulling it; good engineering).

Popping out the small plastic cap (step 2) does not seem necessary?

Steps 3 and 4, when it says "carefully pull apart", well... be very careful indeed. I managed to break one of the clips by pulling too hard, so one of those sections is a bit loose now in my case.

It takes more like 2-3 minutes the first time, but 30 seconds is certainly possible for the next times.

Thanks again!
eepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #50
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Saving this for when all the parts to convert my mirrors to power mirrors come in. :)
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #51
Kar98

Turns out the best "rag" for slipping between the crank and the door car is the lanyard from an ID badge. Flat, stiff, and strong.

Last edited by Kar98; 12-23-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #52
Kar98

Bleargh. "30 seconds" :P

Based on "30 seconds", I figured if I have an hour of daylight left, I should be fine. Sadly, the carefully balanced door card hopped off the curb and the wires operating the door lock and handle jumped out off their designated positions. A green one and a white one. I guess I'll have all day tomorrow to figure out which one goes where.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #53
wrk13s

Drives: 2006
you are a legened. power window master switch which just set it self on fire just littery 1 hour ago i need to try and repalce it and this is going to save me.
wrk13s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #54
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
That's one of the recalls!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote