Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
MatthewMenze

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Combining TWM shifter with In-Cabin extension?

Has anyone tried this? Looking at the construction of the shifter box the lever mounts in, it would be easy enough to get some extra clearance for the extension by adding some spacers to the mounting feet of the box.

I like my shifters to have absurdly short throws. Ideally less than the diameter of the shift knob itself. In the past I achieved this by machining a short-shift lever to have a shorter top side, but with the shifter being on the floor of the cabin in a Yaris, this won't work well. In fact, I would like to extend the height of the shift lever while attaining an EXTREMELY short throw.

I am already planning to use both the short shift linkage in the engine bay with the TWM shifter. But I want to go more so.

Looking at images of the shift assembly this should be relatively straight forward, but first hand experience is always the best.

Thanks,
Matt
MatthewMenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I've got the engine bay kit and the TWM lever. It's bonkers short. Like, other people can't find neutral short. I've got an install thread for the TWM around here somewhere. I don't see there being a reason you couldn't make your own standoffs to get more clearance, but you may have interference with the "tunnel" trim pieces once it's up higher.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:42 PM   #3
MatthewMenze

Are you referring to the brackets that hold the cable housings before they enter the shift assembly?

My hope is to go as short as my dexterity will allow me. My favorite shift setup of all time was on my old Honda Del Sol, 1-2 was within the radius of the Blox shift knob I had. I also had a large bore clutch master cylinder that reduced my clutch travel to about 1-2 inches. (I would LOVE to do a similar thing on this car...Maybe a master cylinder off a v6 toyota? Or an adapter plate to mount up a generic Wilwood MC could be fabbed).

With such a short throw of both lever and clutch, the speed at which the syncros of the transmission could mesh was almost exactly the speed of a slightly spirited input on the shifter and clutch. So casual shifting was right at the mechanical limits of the transmission. It was blissful.

This was the setup I had: https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...er-Shortening=

-Matt
Old 02-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewMenze View Post
Are you referring to the brackets that hold the cable housings before they enter the shift assembly?
I'm not sure what you're asking about. The interference?

Here's the thread. The pictures were lost in the Photobucket debacle a few years back, but I may have the originals somewhere...
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #5
MatthewMenze

I misread the last sentence "but you may have interference with the "tunnel" trim pieces once it's up higher." and thought you were referring to the tunnel the cables themselves run through. My mistake, haha.

Thank you for the reference material though! I will read over it.