Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
narly charley

Drives: 2010 Yaris "L" 5 Speed
Question Hey guys, looking to get a Yaris, few questions here...

Alrighty, here's the scoop... I'm not new to Toyota's at all, I've driven them for years now (only 21). I've owned two pickups, a 4Runner, three Celica's, and a Corolla. I currently own a 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S 6 speed, it's my baby. I also own a 98 GMC Sonoma for the winter. The Celica has about 173,000 miles on it but is PERFECT condition, always been maintained and babied it's whole life. I usually average about 33-38 MPG with it, and it's a blast to drive. The car is 12 years old and it's showing VERY small signs of rust, and when rust starts, it doesn't stop. I want to just get rid of the car and buy a "new" one, no worries or headaches.

The Celica is by no means fast, but it's quick and fun to drive around corners. I almost never drive fast, so I figured the Yaris would be a good choice. I commute 2.5 hours every weekend, so I'm looking for something good on gas.

I'm ALWAYS on the 7th gen Celica forums, and I know just about every quirk that a Celica could have or encounter. For instance you have to watch for rust under the sunroof, the 2000-2002 GT's had oil consumption problems, etc. I wanted to make an account on here and see what you guys would recommend for me. What year and trim would you guys suggest?

-Luxury or speed is not in the criteria at all.
-I DO want a 5 speed though, I've always driven standard transmissions, plus the mileage will be better.
-Two or four door... That part doesn't matter at all.

Thanks guys! BTW, here's my Celica now:

narly charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
...and your questions are????
Old 06-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
narly charley

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
...and your questions are????
I want to know what trim and year you guys would suggest.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Oh, I thought it was an ad to sell your Celica.

I have the cheapest base model 2012 2 door 5 speed hatchback and love it.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I'm assuming you're looking at a hatch, not a sedan.

'08 and above in an LE trim. I'd recommend RS (S in the states) trim only if it came with added performance options but it unfortunately dosen't.

'09-'11 had a minor facelift. Changed the plastic body panels slightly, nothing else.

'12 major redesign.

'07 is identical to '08 but has had issues with voltage regulator and rear ABS.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
richard_rsp

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 3Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I have the cheapest base model 2012 2 door 5 speed hatchback and love it.
Me too. Picked up a 3-door 2012 yaris L for a cheap car and surprisingly love it!

Being that you are looking for a manual transmission, on a 2012, that means you are looking at either a 'L' model (base) or an 'SE' (top of the line). The 'LE' model only comes in Automatic. (these models apply only to 2012).

The L has everything I want in a car (after I added cruise control, VERY easy) except keyless entry; but I'm learning to live without that.

The SE is a good bit more expensive and comes in a 5-door only, but it has a sportier interior, alloy wheels, cruise, leather wrapped wheel, stiffer suspension, and a quicker steering ratio. If you are wanting the sportiest Yaris sold in the US, this is it. Still not fast, but quicker in the corners.

I say look at your budget, look at the options, and go test drive em'!
richard_rsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
I would keep the Celica as much as possible. Unless you really want to let it go. Then we are talking.

D.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_rsp View Post
The SE is a good bit more expensive and comes in a 5-door only, but it has a sportier interior, alloy wheels, cruise, leather wrapped wheel, stiffer suspension, and a quicker steering ratio. If you are wanting the sportiest Yaris sold in the US, this is it. Still not fast, but quicker in the corners.
...or you can get the L and trick it out yourself. With 2 inch wider alloy rims, two sizes wider tires, rear sway bar and front upper strut bar, the car handles super.

tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
narly charley

Yeah, then I guess the "L" trim is the best choice for me... The Celica needs to go, I've already got some calls from people on CL. I just want something cheap and good on gas.