Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
deerebilt

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan S
cabin filter missing

went to change the cabin air filter in my 08 yaris s sedan. removed glove box and filter door. was no filter. the oe toyota filter fit in correctly. has any else run across this...
deerebilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerebilt View Post
went to change the cabin air filter in my 08 yaris s sedan. removed glove box and filter door. was no filter. the oe toyota filter fit in correctly. has any else run across this...
Yeah, it is a common thing. Even my dad's Nissan Titan didn't have a filter installed.

The funny thing is that the Toyota dealerships will mail in offers to "change" out the cabin air filter.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Search the forum, there are numerous threads on replacement filters that will fit.

But most on here had the same experience, myself included!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I have two of these in stock if anyone needs to buy one. I got them for an international customer that flaked on the purchase.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Sandwash

Drives: 2009 Yaris w/man.trans.
Just checked in my Yaris purchased new 6 weeks ago and, sure enough, no filter. My expectation is the dealer will be providing an initial filter - am i wrong in this?
Sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
I think it's pretty clear from everyone here that in general the Yaris doesn't come with a filter.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Ya I am pretty sure about 90% of everyone on here didnt have an in cabin air filter from the factory including myself. I told the dealership I got mine from and they acted like they didnt really care.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Hey all,

A while ago I created a DIY that lets you make 8 cabin air filters for $15 or less:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8828

Enjoy!

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Ah, Brian beat me to it! I still have 1 left from making mine over 2 years ago, way cheaper, and a superior filter I think.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
My 2007 Users Manual said it was not always installed and if it was. A sticker was on the Glove Box Door. Indicating one was factory installed. Mine was not.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
The "WTF moment" is that my manual says to "never run without a cabin filter or AC damage may result" but, they never include one.

I assumed one wasn't included so I made one even before I took delivery on my Yaris.
I already had the materials on hand from making filters for the Celica.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #12
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
definetely dont have one here. the dust that pours inside confirms it. lol, i dont even have to look

Last edited by AlexNet0; 07-04-2009 at 05:40 PM.
AlexNet0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #13
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
This thread got me wondering, so I looked. The filter was there, but it was a bit dirty, so I replaced it. 2008 5-door
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:43 AM   #14
Newyaris

Drives: New Yaris (02/2007)
This is an email I have sent to Toyota Europe. The answer was that "This is our policy!" NO written reply...

Dear sir/madam,

I am an owner of a Toyota Yaris 1.3 5D SOL, which I bought in Greece one (1) year ago. I have paid almost 15.000 € and till now I am very satisfied with my car. Nevertheless, with this e-mail I would like to make a complaint.

A few days ago I discovered that my car is not equipped with an A/C filter (situated behind the glove compartment). That fact was not mentioned by the salesman when I bought the car and the owner’s manual does not mention that the filter is extra and installed in some versions only!

Further to our telephone conversation (08/03/2007) about the lack of cabin filter, I have spoken with Toyota Hellas – Greece, as I was instructed by your Customer Service. They said me that the lack of cabin filter is normal and I could buy it. Unfortunately my dealer says that he cannot order it. Another dealer said that he found it and it costs 59€. I think that I will find a solution and I will finally manage to buy the filter.

As I am allergic and air pollution is high where I live, I consider this matter very important. It is a matter of health and comfort. I strongly believe that Toyota, the world’s second car manufacturer shares the same ideas about the importance of health and comfort. I would like to be informed officially, in order to protect my legal right’s, if the lack of cabin filter in my Yaris version is a policy of Toyota Europe or Toyota Hellas – Greece. The car is shipped from France with or without the filter?

Old 07-05-2009, 02:52 AM   #15
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
mine did not have it when i bought it, but had all the pieces of the system except for the filter... i raised a stink at the dealer and they paid for it... especially considering that all of the appropriate housings were installed already, and mine was certified used...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #16
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
Welcome to the USA where some standard options that are in every other country is non existent here.

I made my own using a carbon filter that you would use for central air. There's a DIY on how to make your own filter. Just typt it in the search field and you should be good.

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #17
JonS

Drives: 2009 3 door Liftback
I picked up my new 09 Yaris LB last Friday and then found this forum. I've been trying to get up to speed on some of the dos and don'ts. Anyway, took a peek in the A/C filter compartment....no filter. So, I gave the parts dept. where I bought the car a call and they referred me to Toyota Customer Care @ 800-331-4331. Some nice gal listened to my story, took my Vin and other info. and said she'd be contacting the dealer as a filter should have been installed. Next day (today) I got a call from the dealer saying I should pop over and they'd take a look. The popped the dash...no filter, as I had told them, and so they gave me one after I signed the warranty paperwork.
Have to say, I'm satisfied with that. The one on its way from Amazon will go on the shelf for now. I really didn't think that Toyota would make good on this one, but they did.

Jon
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Once I put a homemade one back in my car after a month of not using it, I couldn't believe how much less dust there was. When I asked my dealer the first time about it, they said they'd be happy to sell me one for $60
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote