Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
Quickie pics of the Tanabe springs install

NEW PICS ON PAGE 2!

I'll have better pics later in the week when the sun is out, it was getting late today.

The install went ok, but I decided to remove all the wiper assembly to make removing the strut top nuts easier. It would be a much easier install if the Yaris was like normal cars with the front strut tops being easily assessible under the hood without removing a bunch of shit.

Air tools would make those 19mm bitch nuts easier to remove too, but my bruised hands got me through it.

The car is a LOT lower, these are the Tanabe DF's and pics don't do justice as to how low the car is.
Attached Images

Last edited by Nimble; 02-20-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Only other "mods" so far is a rear debadge and a hubbie removal. Up next since it's getting warmer here is a sand and black spraying of the front/rear "T" badges. Then a 20% set of rear 3 tint films. Maybe a TRD rear sway bar someday too.

As you can see from the driver's side angle pic, the offset of the stock turd narrow 5" wheels looks lame. I need some nice 15 x 7's or 16 x 7's and some fatty 205's.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

And a few other pics in the garage both during and after install.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Welcome to the DF club.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
Welcome to the DF club.
Thanks bud.

Tanabe DF, Debadged, stripped, Black emblems
Old 02-19-2007, 10:46 PM   #6
magoo_lc1

Drives: honda civic hatch
Looks good. I like the whole little pissed off roach look of the lowered black hb . Let me now in a week or 2 how the ride iw withe the stock struts. I forget is the df or nf the lower one of the 2 tanabe?

The influence of peers on individual behavior illustrates the seductive power of conformity

And, I don't mind at all being looked down upon by purists. Indeed I don't mind at all being looked down upon by those whom I do not look up to at
magoo_lc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
magoo_lc1

Drives: honda civic hatch
BTW i might be coming up on a set of rota circut 8 in bronze about the middle of march. 15x7 no curb i think they weigh about 12/13lbs. If you interested ill give you a hook up.

The influence of peers on individual behavior illustrates the seductive power of conformity

And, I don't mind at all being looked down upon by purists. Indeed I don't mind at all being looked down upon by those whom I do not look up to at
magoo_lc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:56 PM   #8
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble View Post
Only other "mods" so far is a rear debadge and a hubbie removal. Up next since it's getting warmer here is a sand and black spraying of the front/rear "T" badges. Then a 20% set of rear 3 tint films. Maybe a TRD rear sway bar someday too.

As you can see from the driver's side angle pic, the offset of the stock turd narrow 5" wheels looks lame. I need some nice 15 x 7's or 16 x 7's and some fatty 205's.
"fatty 205's"? a 225/50 will fit nicely on a 15X7m I only think there are 2 of us running this size, but it is a hugh improvement and no rubbing problems
Old 02-19-2007, 11:57 PM   #9
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo_lc1 View Post
Looks good. I like the whole little pissed off roach look of the lowered black hb . Let me now in a week or 2 how the ride iw withe the stock struts. I forget is the df or nf the lower one of the 2 tanabe?
So far so good. These are the DF's which claim to lower 1.9 front and rear, or is it 1.8? Anyways, the car actually is lowered more like 2 front/rear. I'm used to BMW's where the rear is lower than the front, and my car now is the opposite. I have the rear area stripped though, no spare, tools, etc, but I do have the seats still in (for now). So maybe the removal of 40-50lbs raised the rear a bit??

Based on the "finger test" I have about 2 full finger widths in the rear from tire to fender, and about 1.5 in the front. It's weird though, I expected to be able to push down on the car and see the springs "bounce" somewhat, but the car is surprisingly stiff (for now, as I do not see these stock shocks lasting over 25K miles).

Old 02-19-2007, 11:59 PM   #10
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
"fatty 205's"? a 225/50 will fit nicely on a 15X7m I only think there are 2 of us running this size, but it is a hugh improvement and no rubbing problems
With the Tanabe springs I have, no way will 225's fit without a perfect offset, and even then, with any added weight, my car would rub. The car is pretty slammed with these springs. Besides, no 100hp fwd car needs 225's, I like my gas mileage. 205's, or maybe even 195's for me. The tire compound is more important to me.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:01 AM   #11
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
BTW i might be coming up on a set of rota circut 8 in bronze about the middle of march. 15x7 no curb i think they weigh about 12/13lbs. If you interested ill give you a hook up.
I would definitely be interested, keep me in mind. Do those retail for about $100 each like some of the other inexpensive Konig's, Kosei's, Enkei's, etc? Will the set you be getting be new or used? You can PM me if you want.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:12 AM   #12
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble View Post
With the Tanabe springs I have, no way will 225's fit without a perfect offset, and even then, with any added weight, my car would rub. The car is pretty slammed with these springs. Besides, no 100hp fwd car needs 225's, I like my gas mileage. 205's, or maybe even 195's for me. The tire compound is more important to me.
no rubbing when it is lowered, here is proof http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/fun...?do=view&id=44
The advantages of running the 225's a re cornering, shorter braking distance, grab and go on hard accel... no spinin tires. And for the off set +38 will do ya with no rubbing problems, even if it is lowered +3 fat friends... also my gas milage has not been effected by running 225's... exactly what compound are you looking for?
Old 02-20-2007, 12:28 AM   #13
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
no rubbing when it is lowered, here is proof http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/fun...?do=view&id=44
The advantages of running the 225's a re cornering, shorter braking distance, grab and go on hard accel... no spinin tires. And for the off set +38 will do ya with no rubbing problems, even if it is lowered +3 fat friends... also my gas milage has not been effected by running 225's... exactly what compound are you looking for?
I want summer, max dry traction, because I have the stockers for winter. But saying that the 225's reduce wheelspin on a Yaris is comical, sorry man. In order to spin the tires, you need to be dropping the clutch like a idiot. Trust me, the brakes will fade FAR before a good sticky 195 tire will. I think you're buying into the "bigger is better" hype too much. BTW, all things equal, a 195 15 tire will weight at least 3 lbs less than a 225 15 tire, that will affect the acceleration and gas mileage negatively.

No need to debate it with me, nothing you say will have me putting full size German car tires on my little Jap hatch.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #14
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Givr it some time Nimble, it will settle a bit lower... mine is a little over 2" lower front and rear...

Nimble, do you belong to e46fanatics?

Tucks nothing like my 330 though.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #15
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
I forget is the df or nf the lower one of the 2 tanabe?
Magoo - the DF's are lower then the NF's.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #16

Drives: 07 yaris
i have been running the falken rt615 in a 205 40 set up i also have the df210 on trd struts. with no rubbing at all. the problem i have is with the extra grip is that the spring weight isnt stiff enough so i still experience some body roll when cornering aggressivly. maybe a few chassis pieces will help a little. when you go over a speed bump at an angle the car shows quite a bit chassis flex.

some nice wheels would like good i always like the black on black. was my first color choice also. looks good
Old 02-20-2007, 05:59 PM   #17
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501 View Post
i have been running the falken rt615 in a 205 40 set up i also have the df210 on trd struts. with no rubbing at all. the problem i have is with the extra grip is that the spring weight isnt stiff enough so i still experience some body roll when cornering aggressivly. maybe a few chassis pieces will help a little. when you go over a speed bump at an angle the car shows quite a bit chassis flex.

some nice wheels would like good i always like the black on black. was my first color choice also. looks good
Thanks man. I haven't noticed the bad chassis flex....yet. I'm still on stock tires, and all I have to compare to is the stock springs, which swayed like a mofo. I'm sure once I get the sticky 205's, I'll notice it more.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:26 PM   #18
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

New pics cleaned up today and I also stripped the rear and said adios to that stupid center seatbelt that dangled in the rearview.
Attached Images