Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-24-2006, 06:19 AM   #37
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Me? - I switched to Mobil One at my first oil change.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:00 PM   #38
jmew0ng

Drives: Scion FRS
I'm planning on switching myself... after driving my old echo, I changed the oil ever 3,000 miles and it was starting to look a tad bit dark :| But I take it having nice good oil and changing it while it looks only a little darker is better than changing it out when it turns dark red/orange :\
jmew0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:34 PM   #39
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin
Me? - I switched to Mobil One at my first oil change.
Again, I'm going to make my disclaimer that Mobil One, despite the marketing hype, is not a Full Synthetic, but rather a synthetic blend using hydrocracked mineral oil base.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:29 PM   #40
Driver

Drives: 07 Yaris silver manual sedan
This page should help with synthetic vs petroleum oils.

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm
Old 08-30-2006, 09:41 PM   #41
Driver

Drives: 07 Yaris silver manual sedan
Another synthetic vs. petroleum oil page.

http://www.americanautoquote.com/car...rticle1140.htm
Old 09-03-2006, 01:08 AM   #42
wwwh355

Drives: 07 Yaris Flint Mica
Send a message via ICQ to wwwh355
HI all.
It is quiet weird to me that ppl here are not using synthetic.
I will guess it must be because of the weather here.
Most ppl in my country(TAIWAN) uses synthetic oil.
maybe it is because the humidity is so high and air polution is so bad in TAIWAN.
Anyway, I will get my yaris 3 days later. took me 2 wks to wait.
I will chose just to follow the manual.
BTW, Toyota seems always have the longest oil-changing period.
Somehow they think their engine dont "torture" the oil at all?
wwwh355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:13 PM   #43
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Just got back from my second oil change on my Yaris. I specifically asked the guy what he thought about the whole regular / synthetic oil changes. He had recently worked at mazda and said they recommended NOT using synthetic early in the engines life. The reason as stated earlier was engine break-in and synthetic not allowing the rings proper break in period. Rings are rings, whether now or in 1970, the same conditions apply. I opted out of the synthetic until at least the next oil change. I dont do the kind of driving that warrants synthetics benefits so I may not change at all considering the cost. If I ever boost the engine I may think differently.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:06 AM   #44
rstb88

Drives: Silver Hatchback
its not just sports car that come with syn as standard. my moms 04 taurus came with 5w20 syn from the factory, even says it on the cap. i changed the oil at 5000miles and switched to synthetic oil.

rstb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:12 AM   #45
sroberts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
After reading all the responses I am still not sure if I should switch to a full synthetic or not. hmmmm....
Old 09-07-2006, 01:59 AM   #46
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroberts
After reading all the responses I am still not sure if I should switch to a full synthetic or not. hmmmm....
Why not?
I can't hurt anything

The only down side is the cost be even then you can save a lot of $$$ using synthetics because of the extended drain intervels.

The pro's are better performance
better mileage
longer engine life
prolonged engine performance due to less by product and carbon
save $$$ with oil costs over the life of your car

Keep in mind if you want a full synthetic you only have a couple to decide from. Amsoil, Redline, Royal purple are about the top 3
Mobil 1, syntec, Motul and most big brand manes synthetic are Group III synthetics (hydrocracked mineral oil) Still far better then conventional oil but do require more frequent oil changes.

I use amsoil and change my oil/filter every 6 months (15,000-20,000km) even though I know it's good for only 1 oil change a year or 35,000 miles.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:12 PM   #47
SDsurfrider

Drives: 07 Sedan S
Im not sure how the syn would make a difference in how the rings seat themselves. Does anyone have good information on the toyota(denso?) filter compared to the TRD filter?
SDsurfrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:00 AM   #48
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDsurfrider
Im not sure how the syn would make a difference in how the rings seat themselves. Does anyone have good information on the toyota(denso?) filter compared to the TRD filter?
It's simple really, heat and friction are what allow rings to seat quickly and properly.
Reduce the heat and friction and you slow down how quickly your rings seat.
The last thing any engine should have is a slow easy break in.

check out this thread
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

It has all the information on why engine builders like myself and thousands of racers and mechanics and even oil companies like redline, Amsoil etc do not recommend using a group IV-V oil for break in.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:09 AM   #49
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2filz
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/view...etic+motor+oil
this is where that heated conversation was... they put up a better fight than me
That "nb" guy on Scionlife sounds like a real winner! He sounds like he's been around since Roman horse and chariot days. I also like how he kept misspelling the word genius - "genious". That pretty much makes this guy a blowhard/dumbass. Every Scion owner is a "young whippersnapper" and should never question the "Great and Powerful Oz"!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #50
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
As to drain intervals: oil analysis is the only way way to determine the condition of engine oil and when to change. It provides the contents of the oil; i.e, the particulates and amounts that are suspended in the oil after use. Each engine type produces a varying amount of particulates - some more than others - hence the varying oil drain intervals by model, engine and manufacturer. As a point of fact, each manufacturer performs engine oil analysis during their prototype testing period and use this as the basis for the oil change interval recommendations. Unless otherwise stated, they use mineral-based oils in these tests.

As to extended drain intervals: true synthetics, and to a lesser degree hybrid synthetics, have been proven by oil analysis to extend suspension intervals to oil change ratios which can support longer drain intervals. Long haul trucking companies use this as cost savings strategy but back it up by regular oil analysis. The challenge in the absence of oil analysis is 'how long is long enough?' Real-world experience such as those provided here by the Yaris constituency are good indicators with the caveat of risk.

As to MPG and HP gains: the only true test is the dyno. The dyno test is absolute proof of ANY performance gain from ANY modification. Some have experienced real-world gains using synthetics - others have not - as indicated in the varying responses. It may be noteworthy in the buying decision whether oil manufacturers posts dyno test results to prove the performance gains they claim in their ads if they claim this as the reason for using their product. Real-world experience is a good indicator but neither absolute nor universal. Actually, any "add this and you get that" should be backed up by dyno testing. THE DYNO RULES.

What I have proffered herein is not to discount real-world experiences; rather, to lend scientific rigor to the proof. It is best to follow the manufacturers drain interval recommendation using mineral-based oils as they performed the tests to support their recommendation. Given the cost differential of true synthetics, the return on investment is in the extended drain intervals and improvement in MPG/HP. The risk factor notwithtanding - one takes one's chances extending oil change intervals - there is an allure to using synthetics, supported by the real-world experiences by those who use them. (For what its worth, my personal position is to use precisely what the manufacturer recommends as they have done the testing to back their recommendation).

I hope this helps. Man, I sure love this Yaris!!!! It is 'da bomb'!!!
keesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:08 PM   #51
jdomville
Mico Nut

Drives: 2007 Yaris Litback
Send a message via MSN to jdomville
Toyota Yaris Oil

When you take any TOYOTA to the dealer for service you will get the same oil as was in the car at the factory. No matter what it sayes on the can (Toyota Oil) it is MOBILE One.
So "Changing to Mobile One" is no big deal. The car had it in it originally and still does unless you foolishly swiitched to something else.
Keeping Mobile One in the vehicle is certainly in step with the warentee besides being the best thing you can do for the long life of the engine. Make sure the filter has a check valve built in it.
jdomville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #52
nsmitchell

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdomville View Post
When you take any TOYOTA to the dealer for service you will get the same oil as was in the car at the factory. No matter what it sayes on the can (Toyota Oil) it is MOBILE One.
So "Changing to Mobile One" is no big deal. The car had it in it originally and still does unless you foolishly swiitched to something else.
Keeping Mobile One in the vehicle is certainly in step with the warentee besides being the best thing you can do for the long life of the engine. Make sure the filter has a check valve built in it.
So you are saying that Toyota uses Mobil-1 for all their oil changes?! That is great news, but how do you know this to be true? Mobil-1 is soooo much more expensive than conventional oils, but it could be the secret behind Toyota's legendary engine longevity. Hmmm. Please show me some proof. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #53
nsmitchell

Although I just found this interesting news article...
http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...&from=business
Old 02-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #54
dansides

Drives: 07 3 dr
my dealer uses 5w30 Qstate synblend with a toyota filter free for as long as i own the car sports city dallas
dansides is offline   Reply With Quote