Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #1
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Brake pads/shoes durability

Hi folks,
we have had a discussion with a few folks here about our cars and it turned out that they are changing their brake pads after like 30,000 kilometers because they are completely off.

My current set of brake pads currently has 60,000 km and still looks far from being worn out. Previous set of brake pads lasted 80,000 km. Rear brakes have never been changed so far, neither drums nor pads. Still around 2mm of pads now, after 140,000 km.

I am not a slow driver and I do not drive highways only. But the brakes seem to exceptionally durable on Yaris.

Which leads me to a question - the drums are rusty. I know - rusty drums are kind of normal but my drums are rusty AF - especially on the edges of the drums there is like 5mm of total rust, I can peel off thick layer of rust with just bare hand and not so much effort. Drums inside (where the shoes are in contact with the drum) are shiny metal without rust and still enough material there - so that is OK. But I am not sure whether so much rust along the outer circumference is normal. I think I have never seen it on any car before.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
My 2015 Yaris has 4-wheel disc brakes (SE trim here in the U.S.), and when I last visited the dealership for my 35K miles (56K kilometers) checkup, all 4 brake pads still had approx. half their life left to go. I do a mixture of suburban/city/highway commuting weekly. Before owning this Toyota, all my cars were Honda/Acura, and their brakes were nowhere near as durable, quiet or reliable.

On a side note, I hate drum brakes, and will never buy another car that has them.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Your drum rust situation is normal and totally fine.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2018, 12:23 AM   #4
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I think i had my rear brake shoes rebuilt at 90,000 miles. I think there was some material left on them, but they were getting close and they were 9 years old. I'll probably rebuild them again at around 200,000 miles and they probably will have some wear left on them judging by the amount of material left when i last checked.

I hate drum brakes. I'm not very good at adjusting them.

Once i year i give all my brake hardware the once over. Partly of that is getting the worst of the rust off by drums and cleaning away dust and any excess corrosion so it doesn't bind anything up with a wire wheel and a grinder disk.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:15 AM   #5
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
I like the brakes on these cars, yes they seem to last a long time & never pulsate like every other car. Drums in the rear is all these cars need, rear disc brakes usually end up seized in areas where they salt the roads in the winter. I see that on most cars, including Hondas & Toyotas. Just make sure you click up the adjuster wheel at each drum brake when you put new shoes on.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote