Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-13-2009, 02:10 AM   #1
molinee

Drives: 2007 Black LB
Where to buy and install a Hitch??

I have a 07 LB and would like to have a lightweight hitch put on to carry a couple of bikes around. Where should I go to buy a hitch and have it installed. Having never bought a hitch before I am not sure where to go to have it done (auto dealership, muffler shop, car rental, etc). I am assuming that some places will be a lot less than others.... but not sure which. Also, any idea to approx costs of installation. Do you normally buy a hitch and take it in for installation or do you buy from the shop that installs it? And any specific hitch suggested.
-Much appreciated.
molinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by molinee View Post
I have a 07 LB and would like to have a lightweight hitch put on to carry a couple of bikes around. Where should I go to buy a hitch and have it installed. Having never bought a hitch before I am not sure where to go to have it done (auto dealership, muffler shop, car rental, etc). I am assuming that some places will be a lot less than others.... but not sure which. Also, any idea to approx costs of installation. Do you normally buy a hitch and take it in for installation or do you buy from the shop that installs it? And any specific hitch suggested.
-Much appreciated.
I've bought quite a few from etrailer.com:

http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp...chback&ob=&so=

This link is directly to the ones that they carry for the 07 Yaris LB. The installation on the Yaris is quite simple (four bolts, which go into existing holes in the frame end panel). Most guides say that you don't need to remove the rear bumper skin, but doing so gives you much better access to the frame end panel that the hitch mounts to.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
You can get a DrawTite or HiddenHitch from an on-line retailer like AutoAnything.com and put it on yourself. The better designed ones such as these make use of existing bolting points and just replace the bolts with slightly longer ones.
The only problem I had was one of the bolts was impossible to get a wrench on once the hitch bar was in place. I ended up putting the bolt in from the other side and putting a locking nut on it.
The hitch itself is about $120 for a good one.

With mine I carry a bike rack or a lightweight hitch basket. You shouldn't put more than 150 lbs of gear on a Yaris hitch rack or basket, but that can still be plenty to get coolers or other large items out of the interior.

For a temporary solution, you can get 2 bikes in the hatch with the rear seat down. Particularly if you take advantage of quick release front wheels and just lay them carefully on top of the bikes.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
uhaul.com part number 249060

$140 or so.. that's for a sedan though
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
cmt
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I have a Hidden Hitch on my 07 LB. Same purpose as yours, to carry bikes. Put it on myself with no problems, but the top bolts are a bit of a pain. Nice clean look.
cmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Hidden hitch is the definitely way to go, invisible when not in use...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I recall seeing a couple different types on eBay but don't recall whether HB or Sedan.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
molinee

Drives: 2007 Black LB
Thanks to All for great comments. I think I am leaning towards the Hidden Hitch so I can use existing bolt holes. My only question is.... Did I read somewhere where sometimes you have to file off part of the bumper fascia to make it fit?? Or maybe I had a dream.
molinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
jonismyname

Drives: 08 liftback 5spd
autoanything.com , had mine for <$100 2 days after ordering. no modifications to mount, just had to bolt it on.

hidden hitch brand btw... pulls my motorcycles (one at a time...) on a 4x6 trailer quite nicely...
jonismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I ordered one from u-haul and the part numbers shows as "24821"... which googles to Pontiac G8 hitch.

Will it fit just the same as 24819?
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote