Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #109
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Auto. He the CELs were for transmission solenoid open/short connections.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:11 AM   #110
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Glad to see those diagrams helped!

And now we have 2 fully functional 2zr/auto swaps! Keep us updated!
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #111
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
Will do! After adjusting the coilovers a little more, I will be getting an alignment on thursday. I also got my stereo hooked back up. I can't even hear the exhaust anymore. :)

So far it seems like it is relearning the shifting for the transmission. It does some weird stuff, but doesn't seem to do it again.

I will have to get another video of the exhaust as a drive by and from a few feet away. My coworker just drove it home, and it sounds so much better than I thought it did. Barely even really noticeable.

Last edited by brushforhire; 05-03-2016 at 05:29 PM.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #112
brushforhire

So a quick rundown of everything I have in modifications so far:

2zrfe engine swap
Takada xD cold air intake
RPM Long tube header and midpipe
DC sports xD Muffler
Megan racing coilovers
MI braided SS brake lines
TRD rear sway bar
Polyurethane front and rear control arm bushings
Scion xD/corolla front calipers
Yaris S front rotors
Gauges: Oil Pressure, Tach, Volt (gotta hook these up)
Relocated battery to behind passenger seat on the floor.
Optima Yellowtop battery - size 35
I used 0/1 oversized power wire and ground wire. Between my stereo, and the battery relocation, I did not want to risk and power issues. I'd rather go bigger and not need it, then have to rerun wire a third time.
Removed the rear seat, and seat belts.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #113
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Do you have a link for the poly rear bushings? Also how'd you find the install of them?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #114
brushforhire

I don't have a link. I bought them on ebay, they are the ones that add caster to the wheels. I would just use regular ones if i did it again. They were a nightmare to get the bolts through.

To get the old bushings our I use our press at work. I also used the press to get the new ones in.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #115
brushforhire

I just tried to change the spark plugs, because I have no idea if they are original, aftermarket crap, etc.

Wish I would have done that before putting it in the car or putting the cowl panel back on.

It is a seriously tight fight, plus it uses a special super thin wall 14 mm socket. Regular 5/8 socket fits over the plug fine, but will not fit over the plug in the tube in the head.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #116
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushforhire View Post
I just tried to change the spark plugs, because I have no idea if they are original, aftermarket crap, etc.

Wish I would have done that before putting it in the car or putting the cowl panel back on.

It is a seriously tight fight, plus it uses a special super thin wall 14 mm socket. Regular 5/8 socket fits over the plug fine, but will not fit over the plug in the tube in the head.
this may help

https://store.snapon.com/Standard-mm...t-P758173.aspx
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #117
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
...So far it seems like it is relearning the shifting for the transmission. It does some weird stuff, but doesn't seem to do it again.
Because the valve body is different between the Yaris U340 and Xd U341 auto trans, it does feel a bit strange for a while. The good news is that the Xd ECM shift maps are SO MUCH better and your trans will be more responsive to grades and throttle input.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:30 PM   #118
brushforhire

It is much, much better to drive. I got the alignment done today.

As a side note my weird torque steering issues, were because the front control arm bolts were loose enough to let the control arms move side to side. So that is fixed now.

I readjusted the pretension on the front spring and it alleviated the bounciness of the ride.

Only the toe on the left side was out a little bit. So nothing to bad on the alignment.

I gotta get the wiring and fuses cleaned up in the engine bay and this will be pretty much done.

I will get some pictures up, soon, of my car. Want to finish a few exterior things so it will look better.

Also, the brakes are awesome. Stainless braided lines and Xd from calipers/pads make a huge difference.

I will start a new thread with just the facts, and as much how-to only info as I can. Including anything we, as a community, have come across doing this swap. I want to try and make this as clear and dry for others to do as possible.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #119
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
I will start a new thread with just the facts, and as much how-to only info as I can. Including anything we, as a community, have come across doing this swap. I want to try and make this as clear and dry for others to do as possible.
Awesome job man. So jelly!

For the new thread, do what Cranky has done and 'reserve' a bunch of posts for your documentation. Otherwise, pollution will happen.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #120
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Aaamazing, glad you're loving the swap. I'm really looking forward to the new thread w/ just the facts from the swap. Like it was said above, reserve some space for yourself
Old 05-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #121
brushforhire

LoL, the first thing I thought when I saw what Cranky did, was "I am so doing that". It was a great idea

Also, if anyone needs any help I am also available. I know Armstrongracing really helped this get started, but I want to make myself available.

The Takada intake fits nearly perfectly, also. I just gotta get a new reducer coupler to correct a length issue. I have two couplers back to back right now as a makeshift reducer and it makes it a tad to long to line up the mounting holes.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #122
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Love it man! Great work!!
Old 05-14-2016, 05:33 AM   #123
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
In australia there's 2zr-fae is this same engine?
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:01 AM   #124
Frank the Tank

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
In australia there's 2zr-fae is this same engine?
Same engine but with new technology and a little more HP
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:21 PM   #125
brushforhire

A couple quick pics of the engine and surprise

So here are two quick pics of my engine bay. I still have to do some wire tidying, but it is coming along nicely. I'm happy with it. The intake does fit nicely. I couldn't really get the top mounting point to align until the vehicle was on the ground. The bottom hole does not line up. It is pretty secure and I've put several hundred miles with no issues on it.

engine bay 1.JPG
engine bay 2.JPG

Also a surprise. I was just gonna drill three holes in the glove box lid to mount my three gauges, but I plan on turboing this, and really didn't want to have gauges on the a pillar. So I decided to fiberglass a gauge pod setup. It will house my tach, volt gauge, oil pressure, boost, coolant temp, and AFR.
I'm not totally sure on the timeline for the turbo, but I am hoping before the year is out.

gauge pod 1.JPG
gauge pod 2.JPG
gauge pod 3.JPG
gauge pod 4.JPG

The gauge pod will have a bolt on face, so that I can take it off to service anything that may need fixed or replaced. The main housing will stay bolted into the dash. I am thinking I might wrap the top in carbon fiber, but I don't know how motivated I will be to do that. LoL.
Project so far: 2zrfe swap, Megan racing coilovers, TRD rear sway bar, whiteline bushings, RPM long tube header, midpipe, and DC sports xD exhaust, brake upgrade in front, MI stainless braided lines all around, matte paintjob, Takada cold air intake, various gauges, rear seat and belts removed.
Future: Turbo.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #126
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Nice! I had considered using those expanding foam packaging inserts to make a positive mold of it, but didn't want it to leak all over. I ended up using cereal boxes and tape to get the outlines of the shapes and then laser cut it from acrylic.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote