Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
Post Blackbox branded G1W dash cam observations

This is mainly for a wider readership, once search engines find this. I had done a lot of readings of others' blogs, etc. about the G1W, and here's some comments (IMHO):

The orange- and white-boxed "HD BLACKBOX CAR DVR 1080P" that I bought for cheap, new, off eBay, appears to have the genuine processor and lens.

Despite the cover photo showing a silver body cover and black lens ring, mine is all black bodied, with a shiny chrome ring (will be painted black once I'm convinced I don't need to return the dashcam).

All the included cables are excellent -- the power cord to the cigarette lighter plug was generously long for a Yaris (with about a foot extra), enough to hide it under the trim around the passenger's side and under the dash to the cigarette lighter plug.

The suction cup attachment is working perfectly so far. From experience, I used a mild cleaner on it and wiped it very clean with water afterward. Then cleaned the glass well and let it dry too. Then, again from experience, wetted the cup lightly with spread out spit. Then pressed it firmly to the glass before flipping the attaching lever. Then attached the camera. It's nice that the camera is easily removable from this mount.

This G1W proved to be extremely sensitive to the not-included microSD card that was used. I had read to use a Class 10 card instead of the recommended, slower Class 4 or 6, but the generic US$6 32GB card I bought on eBay proved to cause the G1W fits, even after a deep reformating (FAT32, w/ 32 bits) on a PC. The G1W had all sorts of weird problems, including locking up and not saving files including photos.

The provided instructions are awful -- the unit's on-screen messages were in Chinese text as default, but fortunately I stumbled upon the language-changing option. Lesson -- Watch a number of Youtube videos on setting up and using the G1W first! And precharge the unit with the provided USB cable from your computer.

In retrospect, I think many of the warnings I read about immediate failures of "genuine" G1W dash cams is due to the card used. After a few hours of frustration, I ran to Walmart and bought a Toshiba 16GB Class 4 microSD card (yes, you will likely want the SDHC adapter, or even the USB adapter, too) for $11. I installed it new, un-reformated. The G1W is working well now, but I have a Class 4 32GB card, by Transcend, on order under the advice found elsewhere here on the WWW.

So ... I think the G1W manufacturers would be wise to provide a working and preinstalled microSD card to decrease negative comments and returns. I bet they can get 32GB cards for only a couple of dollars each.

And get an English technical writer to totally rewrite the user's manual -- that's critical too. I'm available to do so, but expensive.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:16 PM   #2
bairjo

My "Wicked" WHD-G1W just arrived today. I purchased my unit from an authorized dealer. Came with sd card and the on screen messages and the directions were in English.
However, I will take your advice and get a larger, better quality sd card.
I'm just getting familiar with it at this time but so far am happy with it.
There some youtube videos out there on these dash cams that are helpful as well.

The one I got is defiantly not a knock off, which are abundant on ebay.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
bairjo

well I spoke to soon. I had an issue with it so i'm sending back today.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #4
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
And the issue was.... ?
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #5
bairjo

I kept getting a message to insert sd card. It already was in. So I pressed it and popped it out and pushed it right back in. It went in ok, now it is inside the camera rattling around inside of it. No thanks...ill pay a little more for a quality camera that will last more than 12 hours.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:24 AM   #6
LugNut

Definitely hit or miss on these G1W and variants! Apparently there are many manufacturers of them.

I'm still waiting on my new card, but after checking the .MOV files on the 16GB one I've now painted the chrome ring flat black.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
LugNut

Just got and installed the 32GB class-4 Transcend card. So far, so good!
Old 09-14-2015, 08:27 PM   #8
bairjo

I also felt that the buttons were not easy to navigate...not user friendly.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
The Mini 0806 is the shit! Small, easy to hide, great image quality, gps with local/speed stamp.

I put one in a few months back, and now I feel uneasy if I drive without it.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #10
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I've had a G1W for a couple of years now. I use an old 4GB microSD card that came out of an ancient Blackberry I had in the mid 2000s and haven't ever had problems with mine.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:08 AM   #11
09GLH

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5 door
I have the G1W-C in my Yaris, and other than not being able to set the date/time correctly it's a fantastic camera. The cord tucks well into the headliner, over to the rubber trim on the passenger side, and under the dash where it sits in the little tray under the outlet. I wish these cars had 2 outlets, my phone and the dashcam are always fighting.
09GLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:49 PM   #12
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Gotta add another circuit. I added an array of powered USB ports under the dashboard of mine so that I can run cell phone(s), dashcam, and whatever else I want without having to use that oddly placed 12v port near the handbrake.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote