Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
chattersking

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan (Auto)
Exclamation Engine Flush - Worth it? Do It or No?

During a recent oil change I was offered an "Engine Flush" for $10 extra. According to them it will increase power in my car by cleaning all the gunky old oil and will make my engine perform like new.
I want to ask your honest opinion if I should proceed with this and if it is really worth it or should I just forget it for good.
I understand there is a lot of debate regarding this issue on the internet and the mostly adverse reviews are regarding how it will clog pistons valves on some older engines. However since my engine is pretty new with only 50 thousand kilometres I do not anticipate the same reaction due to this flush based on the information I was reading.

Therefore my question here is specifically limited to how it will affect for our Toyota Yaris engines....

Please advise
chattersking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:37 AM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I wouldn't flush the engine. Change oil as recommended using good quality oil and filter.

The flush is an extra $10 that they make. Forget it for good. I wouldn't flush a well maintained high mile engine.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:31 AM   #3
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Absolutly not!!
This is a well known scam.

Fact is, any reasonably well maintained engine (that has its oil changed regularly) does not have any "gunky old oil", sluge etc that needs to be flushed out.

Also, even if it did, the engine flush can loosen sludge and block small oil passages.

Stop and think. How can an engine flush make an engine "run like new"?
Don't even consider it!
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Dont do it. Running a quality oil will keep it clean, and revving it "I just stole it" hard a few mins every week will keep oil up in the rings and clean out varnish there - the leading cause of cylinder balance issues and loss of torque issue.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Absolutly not!!

Fact is, any reasonably well maintained engine (that has its oil changed regularly) does not have any "gunky old oil", sluge etc that needs to be flushed out.

Also, even if it did, the engine flush can loosen sludge and block small oil passages.

Don't even consider it!
I agree, the "flush" is a scam and the only thing that gets flushed is the money from one's wallet....as to blocking small oil passages...not a chance on a Yaris with frequent oil/filter changes....on an old engine that was neglected, maybe.....
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Nowadays, the oils and filters are good enough so that "engine flush" is unnecessary, agreed. Things were different back when flatheads and rockerboxes were all one could get; OHC and electronic ignitions were still in the future.

We would drain the oil in an (obviously) neglected car, pour in 2 quarts of oil, and a quart of kerosene, run it at high idle for 10 minutes, drain that, then refill with oil. The difference was remarkable: much better performance, and usually any oilburning disappeared. That was then, this is now.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
robkay

Drives: Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Absolutly not!!

Don't even consider it!
And even if such a thing were needed, what competent shop would properly perform such a maintenance for ten bucks? Ten bucks?? Think about what they are purporting to do and the price. They will probably just pour a can of detergent they paid 80 cents for in your engine, run it for a minute, then do your oil change. That's supposed to flush your engine? Gimme a break. That, my friend, is not an "engine flush," that is a "wallet flush." At 50k miles your engine is not "gunked up" unless you are doing off-road rallys in the Sahara without an air filter and have never changed your oil. (OK, maybe I exaggerate a tad...)

Put the 10 bucks toward a pair of Rhino Ramps and a few tools and change your oil yourself. A Yaris is VERY easy to do and it doesn't take that long. Toyota's website even has a tutorial on it. In most towns there are places that will receive your spent oil for recycling and you will know that the job was done by someone who actually cares about your car.
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
agayaris
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Today I brought my car for the 50k mileage service and the agent told me if I would like to avail the engine flush, I was shocked because I was not informed from my last service and it will cost like 399 aed (AROUND 100USD). I did not say yes and googled. Thankfully I found these thread of information. Thanks guys.
agayaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Engine flush = coolant system flush = nitrogen in tires = magnetic gas line fuel economy improver = K&N Air filter =

BOGUS !!!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 PM   #10
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
just to play devil's advocate here; i would recommend flushes, but, they must be done by a professional and done correctly. as i do love BG products; they make a oil flush kit that uses the EPR no.109. this product is designed to break down the carbon build-up that occurs in the ring lands of the pistons. (in addition to gunk elsewhere) if you drive a car like an old lady and never run the engine above 4000rpm, you will get carbon build-up no mater how much money you spend on oil and filters. you will have more blow-by and some compression loss. the flush kit is designed to completely remove the cleaner (109) from the block after use. i have seen it work. it works very well!
training video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug3VD4vdlD4

i'd recommend any BG service, as long as it done by a real professional, and you can observe the service being performed. (to make sure it really gets done)

i use BG MOA at every oil change. BG will warranty your engine/transmission to 300,000 miles (480,000km) with proof of products used at every service.
here's a video on this awesome product:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BefOciLdzig

i only recommend BG though! i was a technician for many years. i believe in their products and devices. i will always use them in every car i own. these are just my opinions...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine flush, engine power restore, gunk out