Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
XYaris

Drives: '09 Yaris LB
embarrassingly bad mileage... REALLY

So I live in Brooklyn. Almost all of my driving consists of short trips within the city. I do spend a decent amount of time idling (when picking up the girl) and I also let the car warm up a bit. BUT STILL...

20mpg consistently. WTF?

Im frankly worried at this point. I check the oil, fine. I even took a trip north out of the city about thirty miles and considering I hit some traffic both directions, I was comforted by getting over 30 mpg on the trip.

I know the idling is a waste, and its cold out, and I make a lot of short trips. yadda yadda

Ive even drastically altered my driving habits by keeping the rpm below 3000 as much as possible. This engine is kinda tiny and frankly feels ridiculously underpowered at these rpms- do people get this great mileage (40+ in th city?!) by just farting around at 2000rpm?

Not looking to get grilled here, just curious if anyone thinks or knows of an issue I may have. Maybe I should get an ecu reflash, or is my youthful exuberance getting the best of my fuel economy?

(2009 LB 2500 miles, only mods are the 205/40/17 pnero zero m+s tires)
XYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
It definitely sounds like a problem with the car. I don't know what I'd have to do to get under 30 MPG and I drive 90% city and ignore the RPM mileage rule. I would keep track of mileage on a couple of tanks and take that info to the dealership and see what they say.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
Luna V 2.0

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to Luna V 2.0
Idling is terrible, and I never warm up my car. I just go easy on it till the cool light goes off.

I spend a little bit of time idling too, because of red lights and such, I would try to coast to the lights and stops, and if your picking someone up and you know you'll wait awhile, just shut off the car. Although since its cold you might not want to.

My guess is that the car is just too new, your mileage might improve after you've been driving it a bit. The worse mileage I got was 25 or 28 mpg and that was because I got my windows tinted and could roll them down, so I had to use the AC 100% of the time. I couldn't go without AC and windows cause it was pretty hot when I had gotten them. D:
Luna V 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
It definitely sounds like a problem with the car. I don't know what I'd have to do to get under 30 MPG and I drive 90% city and ignore the RPM mileage rule. I would keep track of mileage on a couple of tanks and take that info to the dealership and see what they say.

I'm averaging about 23-25mpg with the use of my starter, idling waiting for people, the extreme cold, and driving around in city traffic and heavy-working roads (snow/salt/slush/sand). Your tires (and I'm assuming after-market wheels) likely doubled what you had stock. So it doesn't really count as an "only" type of mod, as it's one the worst for killing gas mileage.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Do you have 30 pound wheels? I see you have 17's. That could cost you 4-5 mpg like firemachine said...
Old 01-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Are you driving in third with an auto or do you have a manual
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Slush + wide tires = lousy mileage. I am not a fan of wide tires to begin with, particularly with a small engine, but even heavy rain can slow you down and affect your FE.

Yes, check with the dealer, but I don't think you will accomplish much. Another check is to push the car for 10yds or so on dry, flat, pavement: if it pushes easily, then the brakes and alignment are fine.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
XYaris

wheel weight

The wheels are privat netz ( like 150 + a piece ) I think I gained a few pounds per wheel and tire setup, but not enough to explain the difference. I also installed a tach, and my first tank in the city consisted of very aggressive scooting about...that was my first really bad tank in terms of mileage. Is it possible that I taught my ecu to provide for that type of driving?

I bought the car in Mass....but Im planning on bringing to a dealer in NY this weekend. Ive been intentionally avoiding idling and my warm ups are short in that I dont sit and wait for the 'cool' light to go out, just until im satisfied the engine is well lubricated.

I start commuting to school tomorrow (~11 miles each way) and I will try to only drive that daily distance for the week. Ill report what mileage I get.

Will the first oil change help? should I go synthetic? What malfunction would cause this? Thanks by the way!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

There is no way your conventional factory oil is causing it. I would say yes if you were getting 30 MPG and wanted 35. 20 is just bad for this car. I'm thinking you may have a defunct MAF or O2 sensor... sounds like your AF mixture may be extremely rich. What does your exhaust look like? Blowing any smoke?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
XYaris

also

I have a manual. and the car pushes easily ( my girl got a complex after I asked her to push it a few feet the other day) and I had an alignment done after the wheel install.

205/40/17 doesnt really seem that big, but I suppose with less than 100 hp hitting the ground it is.

for the record, I have gotten 38 mpg on the highway with the hatched loaded with 150 lbs of gear and my 140 lb brother and thats with the new wheels and not driving 60mph (not on 95 south)

so this seems to be a city thing. all the snow and idling must be the answer. i hope my new car is ok
Old 01-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
XYaris

no smoke. the car seems to be running great otherwise. seems like a dealer visit is called for eh?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
ChinoCharles
Banned

Yeah, 20 MPG is a big outlier. Let us know what they say.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
andries
aka Jack Wolfskin

Drives: Yaris
Send a message via MSN to andries
Maybe you have a defective Lambda sensor.
Then you get a higher fuel consumption.

Ask your Toyota dealer for reading DTC Error Codes, perhaps he find the problem.
andries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #14
kou

Drives: 08 lb
after a search i found that your wheel with tire are around 46pounds this would definetly hurt your fuel in stop and go traffic,factory weight is somthing like 32 pounds.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #15
andries
aka Jack Wolfskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kou View Post
after a search i found that your wheel with tire are around 46pounds this would definetly hurt your fuel in stop and go traffic,factory weight is somthing like 32 pounds.

Really? My stock tyres and rims are about 42 pounds.
I drive average 32 mpg (1.8 TS)
Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #16
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by andries View Post
Really? My stock tyres and rims are about 42 pounds.
I drive average 32 mpg (1.8 TS)
you have a 1.8l if you put some light 15'' wheels on your car it would be quicker and get a better mileage
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #17
andries
aka Jack Wolfskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kou View Post
you have a 1.8l if you put some light 15'' wheels on your car it would be quicker and get a better mileage
At the moment i drive with 15" rims and winter tyres.
The mileage is almost the same as with the 17"
Old 01-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #18
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
even with the trd 18's on and my heavy foot i STILL got 30+ mpg..........

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote