Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2017, 07:23 AM   #1
vincenthicks

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Dodgy service department - corroded footwell

2008 yaris purchased brand new and serviced at the same toyota dealership for the past 7 years. Decided to take it to a local mechanic this year for the first time as it was cheaper - he found a rust hole the size of a large fist in the rear LHS foot well and rust was beginning to eat away at the opposite footwell!!

Dealership refused to inspect the vehicle as it was out of warranty, and determined it was caused by road damage purely based on the shitty images i showed them on my phone. On top of this the local panel beater refused to quote my yaris as it was now a total write off but did say that he believed the damage was caused by a factory defect. So i took the issue up with toyota customer care and they referred it back to the original dealership who repeated ''out of warranty, road damage'' blah blah.

Toyota customer care said they had to take the advice of the dealership over the panel beater and wouldn't action any further investigation. Although they did arrange my yaris to inspected at a dealership of my choice when i told them that it hadn't been looked at by anyone other than the panel beater.

Consumer affairs advised me to sort it out with toyota and the dealership before taking legal action, which i now have to consider because i have no car! I don't hold out much hope for the inspection result so i'm preparing to take the next step towards legal action. Any advise would be great.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doc1.pdf (278.2 KB, 34 views)
vincenthicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Hard to tell much from the photo (also, not too many people will risk D/Ling PDF files. Better to post as JPEG).

Rust in floor boards like that can be cause by a water leak holding water under the carpet, mechanical damage which then rusts, lack of rust preventative (primer/paint). I'm willing to bet you live close to the ocean where salt has sped up the corrosion.

As far as factory defects, these cars are not known to rust there. The only factory issue I could see causing it would be if it didn't get painted (damned unlikely), or if there was a water leak (much more likely, but also not necessarily a "factory defect").

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=plug+glove
Old 03-07-2017, 01:08 AM   #4
vincenthicks

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Cheers guys thanks for the info and apologies for the PDF. The inspection found that both drain plugs were missing, toyota customer care are now taking it up with the dealership and are still deciding on booking 2nd more thorough inspection.

thanks again.
vincenthicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
For a chassis remarkably resilient to rust, yours is certainly one of the worst I've seen. Good luck to you my friend.