Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
darknesss
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4 door Manual
Clutch replacement cost & fixing trunk cable.

Okay, so it all started with me leaving my doctors appointment. I had my car packed, ready to take the long drive to see my son. Got out, realized I had locked both keys in the car (Yes, I can be an idiot) . Since I was in a hurry, I shipped the exposed trunk cable (4 door sedan) to force it open and get in my car that way. I had to tape the trunk shut, so I was wondering if I can merely solder the wire back together for it to re-engage (the wire is in great shap other than that).

On my way home, my clutch went (manual with 205km on it), so I had to get a tow to the nearest garage and get a friend to bring me home (2.5 hours away). I have been playing phone tag with the mechanic and he told me it will be about $1275 Canadian. I wired him a $500 advance and told him to make it happen. From my guesstimations, this seems to be about the going rate. I just wanted to ask fellow yaris owners if this seems about right. THanks.

I am also wondering if by the sounds of it, I would be better off selling for something newer. Since it is at the over 200,000km mark, should I expect anything else to start going soon?
darknesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I can't comment on the trunk cable as I'm not too sure how you managed to cut it and get access into the trunk. You could try soldering it but it may always be the weak point and break, however it's likely worth a try.

In regards to the clutch, that price seems fairly reasonable (for Canada) assuming the guy that's doing the work is a well trusted mechanic who knows what he's doing.

If you supply the parts sometimes you can find a shop willing to do it for $600 as it will take most experienced mechanics 5-6 hrs assuming that nothing is seized (it shouldn't be for a clutch job). However, many busy mechanics who aren't hurting for business will charge the book rate which is likely around 10 hrs (most shops $100/hr) plus the parts. So like Wee stated above, you're getting the going rate for a competent shop but it is possible to have it done cheaper if you knew a mechanic/buddy and you had the luxury of shopping around which you don't seeing as your car had to get towed.

Selling your car is completely up to you and isn't really a decision any of us can make. if you wrenched your own car and bought parts online (ie: Rock Auto) you could essentially change all of the wear parts in your car for less then a grand (suspension, bushings etc). If you have a mechanic do it then you're best to leave it until it starts making a noise and shows signs of wear. It won't be nearly as cheap to have a shop do the work but it almost always is cheaper than a new car.

If the engine has been taken care of and isn't burning much oil then the only real things you need to worry about going within the next 20-80k km is suspension bushings, struts and wheel bearings. There aren't many suspension wear items as the Yaris doesn't have independent rear suspension.

In the end it's your call, but if you don't mind the car and it serves your purpose than it's pretty much always cheaper to keep the car on the road - assuming the body isn't rusted out, which it shouldn't be seeing as it's a Yaris