Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #91
wiliker

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Just received my 23mm sway bar from Garm. Will install this coming weekend, can't wait
wiliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #92
chongopants
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to chongopants Send a message via MSN to chongopants
yeah send pics I am gonna get a 23mm this weekend
chongopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #93
wiliker

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Sway bar installed today Even more fun to drive.
wiliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #94
chongopants
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to chongopants Send a message via MSN to chongopants
lucky... its my next purchase
chongopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #95
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
19 mm sway bar ordered from Garm, installed this weekend. Beautiful piece, perfect fit, easy install, the car handles much better!

Now I'm wondering if I should give up the hitch or the spare wheel and the jack to compensate for the added weight

I'll probably try without the spare for a week and see if I feel any difference
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #96
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Thanks, glad you like it. Plenty of both sizes in stock at this time.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #97
Cvc9216

Drives: 09
I'm a little confused about the rear sway bar. Granted I haven't done anything to my yaris or even looked at the suspension. But since the rear is a solid beam type and this just bolts to the two sides, wouldn't this be more of a "brace" than a real "sway bar"? Is the rear suspension beam that flexy?
Cvc9216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #98
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Yes, it is.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #99
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

No, it's not merely a brace. Technically it is a torsion bar.

Your beam axle does nothing to transfer weight in cornering -- that's why this bar is effective.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #100
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
The 23mm Ultra Racing bar is noticably stiffer. I have to believe I'll see a difference at the AX.
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #101
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
let us know for those that have a 19mm sway bar.....
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #102
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
I installed mine today and it feels like the front of the car is a little higher than the back, I hope thats normal.

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #103
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
I dont understand what you just said....??
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #104
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I installed mine today and it feels like the front of the car is a little higher than the back, I hope thats normal.
The sway bar does not change the ride height of the car - the part simply can't do that.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #105
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiliker View Post
Sway bar installed today Even more fun to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
19 mm sway bar ordered from Garm, installed this weekend. Beautiful piece, perfect fit, easy install, the car handles much better!
In what way?

also, bigger bar = stiffer ride? Can you even tell the difference (only 4 mm ?)

I see everybody on the thread says "better handling" "great handling" and other types of positive adjectives but all I get is that they're happy, I still don't understand how the rear bar improves handling in straight lines, with cross-winds. Does it make the car feel like it "sticks" better to the rd or am I looking at the wrong mod? Thanks.

I dread the winter coming, and crosswinds on the bridge

Last edited by tomato; 10-15-2009 at 07:55 PM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #106
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
In what way?

also, bigger bar = stiffer ride? Can you even tell the difference (only 4 mm ?)

I see everybody on the thread says "better handling" "great handling" and other types of positive adjectives but all I get is that they're happy, I still don't understand how the rear bar improves handling in straight lines, with cross-winds. Does it make the car feel like it "sticks" better to the rd or am I looking at the wrong mod? Thanks.

I dread the winter coming, and crosswinds on the bridge
From my rear sway bar thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Automotive design and engineering is all about compromises. The general public, especially the "commuter car" market, wants a car that is comfortable and handles predictably. Basically, they want an appliance. A couch that they can drive to work.

For these reasons, cars like the Yaris are designed with fairly soft suspension that handles most road conditions "comfortably" and the car is designed to handle predictably and safely. Predictable and safe handling for the average idiot driver means understeer.

Enter the rear swaybar. A rear swaybar's purpose is to increase rear roll stiffness. Increasing rear roll stiffness has a lot of effects, but the most obvious is a reduction in body roll and an improvement in steering response, which the "performance-minded" driver likes... but the general public might actually prefer the car to be less "twitchy" and prefer a little body roll that allows the suspension to lean in a turn instead of making THEM lean in a turn.

Increasing rear roll stiffness also changes the handling bias of the car and makes it less prone to understeer, or more prone to oversteer. The stiffer the rear of the car is made, the more likely it is to oversteer in an emergency maneuver. Toyota doesn't want the liability of putting the average idiot in a car that could oversteer unexpectedly, so they design their cars to understeer predictably.

Now, if Toyota wanted the rear roll stiffness to be greater on the Yaris... they wouldn't have fit a swaybar to it, anyway. It adds weight, complexity and expense, things that are considered greatly in the design of such a car. Even if they used the TRD/Ultra Racing design (a beam axle reinforcement rather than a true anti-sway bar), it would still add at least 7 parts to the car, one of them being a bar that requires complex forming and welding and heat-treating, the others being a pair of bolts, nuts and washers. (if they put a REAL swaybar on the car, the part count would be at least 3 times as many with brackets, end links, bushings, etc.) No, if Toyota wanted to add more stiffness to the back of the Yaris, they would simply have designed a stiffer beam axle assembly that allowed less twist or they would have fitted stiffer rear springs... either of which would create a compromise to the level of comfort that the car was designed for.

Um... what was the question again?

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #107
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I think loren is the god when it comes to anything suspention related in the form of questions.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:38 PM   #108
minired5stby

Drives: Yaris S liftback
I think I might get me one just in time to be installed with my new Tokico shocks.

Last edited by minired5stby; 10-16-2009 at 01:02 AM.
minired5stby is offline   Reply With Quote