Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Pre Hack Revival: Megan Racing Header vs Ebay Header

Ok, here is something I did a long time ago before we got hackzord...

I decided to buy a ebay header, never had it installed...One day a pixie named ChinoCharles had come across a Megan Racing header, since he already had one. He sold it to me cheap...Hence a comparrisson test needed to be conducted between the Megan Racing Header and the Ebay "noname" Header that was floating around.

Heres the first pic, Ebay header on the right, Megan Header on the left.

As you can tell, hmm they look the same. They weight about the same when you hold them. They have the same general bends, same header inlet and collector shape. This we could confirm from photos before that they appeared the same. So I decided to start looking inside for any differences.

You can see on the Ebay version where there is still metal exposed inside the first (lower) inlet pipe, which could mean big trouble if that falls apart while being super heated.

Ebay Header Inlets

Megan Header Inlets

Both seemed to be the same, except the ebay product did seem a little unfinished, like someone forgot to mill down the inlet to make sure the flow would be perfect. The Megan product seemed smoother around this point and more finished. I wouldnt be able to tell if it made a difference in performance, seeing that neither header would be installed on the car.

Ebay Collector Exterior

Megan Collector Exterior

Now I dont know if this would make a difference, but the Megan seemed to be tighter together. Ebay model had a clunky look in the middle.

Ebay Collector Interior

Megan Collector Interior

Once again, the Megan product seemed to be more finished and detailed, less restricted. Welds seemed more tight with the piping and that could mean the difference between a 1HP gain or none at all.

Finally came the Header Outlets
Both were the same in quality, except one other part..

Ebay Outlet Pipe Length

Megan Outlet Pipe Length

Now I dont know what the extra length was for, but it could cause a problem with install...Now that I dont know for sure, just a guess.

I had this posted once before, and thought it would be a useful tool for anyone who is willing to try and save some cash and end up getting an ebay header rather than spend the extra for the actual Megan Racing product, or spend the extra and upgrade to the DC product. I still personally dont trust Weapon R since one of our members reported the header falling apart at the collectors between the 2 to 1 collection. Yes it could be a 1 in 1,000,000 case. But I wouldnt risk that personally when it comes to your daily transportation.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
excellent writeup seems like the ebay headers are just the ones that megan Quality control rejects.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXDEMON View Post
excellent writeup seems like the ebay headers are just the ones that megan Quality control rejects.
You got the idea, Thats what I think personally. Either ones that they recieved...didnt like and pitched, or just the work fine 90% of the time, except they are not finished to quality standards of Megan Racing.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
NICE, very informative post! good to know, seems like with some work on the rejects you could make it better though...
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
gwasabi

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue LB
It also looks like the Ebay tubes are longer by an inch or so if you noticed.......that ebay seems like it'll give u fitment issues

MunkyWurks Garage - 8088488794
gwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:07 AM   #6
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
a dremel and an extension kit could handle that....and i happen to have all that...

unless you're talkin some serious differneces (collector or primary sizes...mis-shaped ports or whatnot) i can do all that myself. and i'd likely use the exhaust gasket to fit my pipe before i put it on the car...and match the ports on header to the gasket....like any performance freak would...so there's no prob there either.

one thing i wouldnt have even looked at tho would be the collector from the inside. good call....something i wouldnt even think about
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwasabi View Post
It also looks like the Ebay tubes are longer by an inch or so if you noticed.......that ebay seems like it'll give u fitment issues
They appear that way, but if you look up past the collector, towards where the 02 sensor and the midpipe connector is, that section of piping is smaller, making up for the longer "runners"

I need to add, that not 2 headers are going to be the same from Megan Racing. It seems like they are all handmade and welded, then machined. So if you order 2, they wont be identicle as if they were machine made. This includes pipe length, size, shape, weld structure, weld quality, etc.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:50 AM   #8
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Probally why my ebay lower tie bars look identical to the megan ones. No difference that you can tell whatsoever but 1/10th the price
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:07 AM   #9
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Case and point, only products that Megan has for the Yaris that I cant find on ebay for cheaper, drastically cheaper is the C pillar brace and the Exhaust
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #10
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I'm most impressed by how well you polished that Megan header! That thing looked like crap!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
Nagoya_TRD.

Drives: None.
They both look the same, and like they both belong in the trash can. I have seen custom fabricated headers in performance shops done right that look 200000000000x better than both of those heaps.
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoya_TRD. View Post
They both look the same, and like they both belong in the trash can. I have seen custom fabricated headers in performance shops done right that look 200000000000x better than both of those heaps.
he typed it BUT i was thinking it first.....
Old 08-19-2009, 12:31 AM   #13
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
Heh. Send 'em to me, I'll install each on my HB, slap 'em on a dyno, and then post the charts for comparison. I'll even pay shipping. :-P
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:19 AM   #14
etheliters

Drives: 07 yaris hatch
How much do you spend on a custom fabricated unit? As I'd expect more than the cost of a dc.
etheliters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:56 AM   #15
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
damn that looks nice huh? :) Any proven gains on the dyno?
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #16
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Great write up! Im thinking with some port work you could make the Ebay header alot better without paying the price for the Megan.