Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
I think regardless of brand, If the car is made in that country, it's essentially on the standard of that country.
I know that quite a few people in France do number checks to make sure they are getting a car that is made OUTSIDE their country. That's a bad sign in my opinion.

It always makes me sad when companies like Toyota risk their reputation rather than just continue to pay their people.
Look at what outsourcing has done for the U.S.A. More low wage jobs, Less benefits, and tons more government oversight. =/
Old 05-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #20
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
I seriously hope the quality of the Yaris models built in France are equal to what we have all come to expect from Toyota. I have absolutely nothing against the French workers or citizens, for the record.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #21
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirapatec View Post
I seriously hope the quality of the Yaris models built in France are equal to what we have all come to expect from Toyota. I have absolutely nothing against the French workers or citizens, for the record.
I do too, as I'll likely buy a 2016 Yaris if the quality is still there.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #22
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
IF I need a new car I will be looking at the Mazda 2. I think thats still made in Japan.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #23
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
IF I need a new car I will be looking at the Mazda 2. I think thats still made in Japan.
IF the USDM quality ends up suffering going forward (with French production) that would be a thoughtful alternative, especially if you require 4 passenger doors and a manual transmission. It would take quite a few miles driven at the Mazda 2's lower MPG to make up for the difference in cost between the base Mazda 2 and the Yaris SE 5-speed.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #24
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Not for much longer. See page 32 of the July 2013 issue of Car and Driver. Mazda is building a plant in Salamanca, Mexico. The first production line there will start sometime during the first quarter of 2014. The plant will produce the Mazda 2, the Mazda 3, and a small Toyota. After reading this I recallled that someone mentionrd this plant in a past thread re producing a small Toyota, but I don't think that included any information re which Mazda models would be produced there.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #25
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Oh great. So the Mazda 2 will be made in Mexico?
Most Ford vehicles are made there and look where it got them.

There are very few countries I trust can make a reliably long lasting vehicle.
Mexico, France, Korea... I don't trust those one bit.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #26
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septembersrain View Post
Oh great. So the Mazda 2 will be made in Mexico?
Most Ford vehicles are made there and look where it got them.

There are very few countries I trust can make a reliably long lasting vehicle.
Mexico, France, Korea... I don't trust those one bit.
Yep, Mazda 2 to be made it Mexico. Some people (even some Yarisworld members) don't think that quality will drop for a USDM spec Yaris built in France. I'm willing to wait to see what happens for model years 2014 and 2015. If the French built USDM Yaris turns out to be a bust re reliability, I'll probably get a Prius C (pretty much a Yaris Hybrid).....If they are still making the C in Japan and if I can get myself to accept not having a manual transmission.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #27
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Yep, Mazda 2 to be made it Mexico. Some people (even some Yarisworld members) don't think that quality will drop for a USDM spec Yaris built in France. I'm willing to wait to see what happens for model years 2014 and 2015. If the French built USDM Yaris turns out to be a bust re reliability, I'll probably get a Prius C (pretty much a Yaris Hybrid).....If they are still making the C in Japan and if I can get myself to accept not having a manual transmission.
I definitely will want to stay with Japanese made cars.
Luckily I'm already in the automatic transmission club.
I do know, However, That Ford has a very low reliability rating.
Most of their cars are made in Mexico.
I also know that my friend in Alsace had told me that French workers intentionally sabotage some of their vehicles so that they'll break down out of warranty. >_>
Old 06-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #28
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
told me that French workers intentionally sabotage some of their vehicles so that they'll break down out of warranty. >_>
^^^^^ Nice .

Given that your Yaris is new, vehicle choice (fortunately for you) isn't something that will probably have to be on your radar for quite a long time.

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 06-03-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: added fortunately for you
Old 06-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #29
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
It always makes me sad when companies like Toyota risk their reputation rather than just continue to pay their people.
Look at what outsourcing has done for the U.S.A. More low wage jobs, Less benefits, and tons more government oversight. =/
The thing is, they have to stay relatively competitive or the features and quality relative to cost won't be there and consumers will make another choice. This has been a challenge for, among others, Toyota and Mazda because of the high value of the Japanese yen. This is one of the reasons that Mazda is building the plant in Mexico and that Toyota will be producing the USDM Yaris in france. Mazda is also going to Mexico for lower labor costs and Toyota is ( in addition to the Japanese Yen French Franc valuation difference) moving the Yaris to France because electricity (for production) is cheaper there.

The Bank of Japan is now going to increase bond buying with the goal to be doubling the countries effective money supply in the next two years. They hope that this will create a desired amount of inflation (2% I believe) and will hopefully help devalue the Yen (even more than recent declines) in order to help the manufacturing sector in Japan. The U.S. and other countries are already doing this quite a bit as they don't want to be like Japan has been for the last 20 years. Automakers like Mazda and Toyota aren't idly waiting around to see if this works, they are being proactive by moving production out of Japan. I imagine the Japanese government is just trying to reverse this trend. Only time will tell what works and what doesn't.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #30
nookandcrannycar

According to a post on the kilometermagazine.com site, the first shipment for the U.S. was shipped from the plant in France on May 21st
Old 06-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #31
Onwrdigo

Drives: Yaris LE 4-Door
Just read in Automobile Magazine, the rest of the 3rd Generation is on the way from France. Toyota has also officially signed an agreement with Mazda to build the new 2016.5 4th Generation along-side the new Mazda 2 in Mazda's new plant in "Mexico" due to open late this year.

So the "French" Yaris is just to get to the end of the 3rd generations life cycle. Then it is on to Mexico for the Mexican-Mazda-built Yaris replacement for U.S. consumers.
Onwrdigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #32
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onwrdigo View Post
Just read in Automobile Magazine, the rest of the 3rd Generation is on the way from France. Toyota has also officially signed an agreement with Mazda to build the new 2016.5 4th Generation along-side the new Mazda 2 in Mazda's new plant in "Mexico" due to open late this year.

So the "French" Yaris is just to get to the end of the 3rd generations life cycle. Then it is on to Mexico for the Mexican-Mazda-built Yaris replacement for U.S. consumers.
Oh, that's just great . I guess the savings in power cost and Yen vs Franc isn't anticipated to be as great as the reduction in transportation costs, the reduction in labor costs, and the Yen vs Peso.....plus they are 'renting capacity' without having to build a standalone plant.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #33
Onwrdigo

Drives: Yaris LE 4-Door
2014 Changes Posted

Autoblog.com Rumors section and a few other magazines just confirmed that the 2014 Yaris is going to be the same as the '13 except for two things.

1. Relatively small price increase on all models
2. Standard Daytime Driving Lights on all models.

That is it. At least so far, that is all anyone is saying today on the auto websites.

Nothing was mentioned about it being French-built, but we all knew that anyway.
Onwrdigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #34
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onwrdigo View Post
Autoblog.com Rumors section and a few other magazines just confirmed that the 2014 Yaris is going to be the same as the '13 except for two things.

1. Relatively small price increase on all models
2. Standard Daytime Driving Lights on all models.

That is it. At least so far, that is all anyone is saying today on the auto websites.

Nothing was mentioned about it being French-built, but we all knew that anyway.
Hand crank windows standard on the L for at least 1 more year!
Old 06-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #35
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Hand crank windows standard on the L for at least 1 more year!

Thank You Simplicity...!

So glad we got lucky and bought at the right time, the 2013 L has the better 6 speaker stereo & it was Made in Japan. All I really have a 'hankering' for right now is a set of WeatherTech floor mats and a rear sway bar...all in due time!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #36
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
No more 100% JDM Yari for the North American market. Too bad..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_miles View Post
*phew* good thing my third gen is JDM lol................FDM cars. DO THEY COME WITH A BLOCK OF CHEESE? (ok, I'll stop being mean)
They aren't JDM, they are made in Japan. Big difference there.

Tags
2014, 2015, france, vios, yaris