Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #73
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I wouldn't mind having a "C" sedan. I think it would look pretty nice.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #74
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
If the Prius C came in a two-door hatch, I would probably consider it. However, my current Yaris gets "almost" the same fuel efficiency at a much lower initial purchase price. Plus, I have a two-door hatch, which is somewhat rare everywhere these days. I consider this a win-win all the way around.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #75
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I easily get double the gas mileage when I drive my bro's C compared to my Vios (which I do some moderately advanced hypermiling techniques in). 70-85 mpg > my 36-40 mpg (now). lol
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #76
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I think the Prius C is a great car. My main complaint is the tail lights - just very odd looking and over sized. It's certainly the best city car you can buy. My local Dominoes uses a C with it completely covered in branding. Now that's how you deliver pizza! Ideal for stop and go city cruising.

If I was to buy a Prius though, I do prefer the standard liftback Prius. Just as good or better highway mileage in a bigger, better looking car.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #77
Kal-El

So from what people have noticed, it appears low Yaris sales are in many ways a result of dealers refusing to stock them. You walk into a Toyota dealership and instead leave with a Corolla or Prius C which is the idea. Oh well...
Old 07-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #78
Flipper_1938

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
So from what people have noticed, it appears low Yaris sales are in many ways a result of dealers refusing to stock them. You walk into a Toyota dealership and instead leave with a Corolla or Prius C which is the idea. Oh well...
Same as with the Echo....they made more selling a Corolla.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #79
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
I had to practically twist their arm to get my Yaris.
They tried to push me into the Corolla.
I was also pushed into the Scion xD.
I wanted the Yaris. I had it as a rental and fell in love.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #80
Flipper_1938

Even with how hard it was to buy one...there are quite a few Yaris sedans in my area. I probably see 10-15 of them a day.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #81
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
I think the guys at my dealership were shocked that I was actually interested in the Yaris. They were probably happy to have "unloaded" it on me. ;-)

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #82
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
I think the Prius C is a great car. My main complaint is the tail lights - just very odd looking and over sized. It's certainly the best city car you can buy. My local Dominoes uses a C with it completely covered in branding. Now that's how you deliver pizza! Ideal for stop and go city cruising.

If I was to buy a Prius though, I do prefer the standard liftback Prius. Just as good or better highway mileage in a bigger, better looking car.
With my sister's Prius LB, I got about 70-75 mpg 90/10 hwy/city with some traffic and hills (yes, my family has two Prius C and one Prius LB ). I have yet to drive the Prius C that much on the freeway

But I do agree that the taillights are a tad bit too big. hahaha
Old 07-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #83
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Well, here in Aus. The new corolla is everywhere. It makes sense.It's probably because Toyota are targeting costumers with families. Yaris is small and would suit students and young people. We know that some students that have money would more than likely go for sport cars than a Yaris.They want something with street credentials. Anyway, for the budget conscious people the Yaris is ideal.But that's people with less money to spend on brand new cars which means they don't make as much money selling a Yaris but the corolla makes more money for the manufacturer.Plus the Corolla is popular with buyers it's a bigger better car.

Top 10 cars

1 Toyota Corolla (3504)

2 Toyota Hilux (2932)

3 Mazda3 (2842)

4 Holden Cruze (2290)

5 Hyundai i30 (2150)

6 Nissan Navara (1953)

7 Ford Ranger (1683)

8 Ford Focus (1670)

9 Holden Captiva (1620)

10 Toyota Camry (1617
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #84
Kaotic Lazagna

Actually, when my bro test drove a Corolla, the interior space was not that much more than my sedan. In fact, rear leg space was the same, front leg space slightly more, and the trunk actually felt smaller than mine. lol. I never looked at specs sheets to see the "real" differences, but "real world" didn't impress me much. With that said, they don't even sell the sedan anymore. hahaha
Old 07-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #85
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
I was about to attempt to test drive a Corolla right?
Then I sat in it and I was like.. "I suddenly feel like a soccer mom".

That was it for me entertaining that idea.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #86
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septembersrain View Post
I was about to attempt to test drive a Corolla right?
Then I sat in it and I was like.. "I suddenly feel like a soccer mom".

That was it for me entertaining that idea.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #87
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
Well, here in Aus. The new corolla is everywhere. It makes sense.It's probably because Toyota are targeting costumers with families. Yaris is small and would suit students and young people. We know that some students that have money would more than likely go for sport cars than a Yaris.They want something with street credentials. Anyway, for the budget conscious people the Yaris is ideal.But that's people with less money to spend on brand new cars which means they don't make as much money selling a Yaris but the corolla makes more money for the manufacturer.Plus the Corolla is popular with buyers it's a bigger better car.

Top 10 cars

1 Toyota Corolla (3504)

2 Toyota Hilux (2932)

3 Mazda3 (2842)

4 Holden Cruze (2290)

5 Hyundai i30 (2150)

6 Nissan Navara (1953)

7 Ford Ranger (1683)

8 Ford Focus (1670)

9 Holden Captiva (1620)

10 Toyota Camry (1617
Always interesting to see the market differencs around the world. Every market is completely different. Best sellers in one country aren't even sold in another. Weird. I can see why economics, gas prices, and government policy changes demand for certain models but I wonder why consumer tastes are so different. Automakers even have to tailor different styling of the same model to different markets.

Check out the USA's top 10 just for June. Notice it's mostly large trucks and mid-size sedans compared to other markets dominated by small cars/trucks. The Ford F-Series numbers continue to be ridiculous. It sells more in the US than all cars combined in many/most countries.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #88
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
The Yaris Towing 1000 lbs? thread (and more specifically the Herbie's World tour link) prompted me to search re quite a few different possibilities.

One search unearthed a trailer that pops open into a tent. This trailer can even be towed by a motorcycle. One of these searches led me to type 'Prius RV' and I found the site sueanneonline.blogspot.com. I read one or two of her pages, and the most interesting thing I uncovered is that the Prius (because it is a hybrid, and re how the Toyota hybrid system works) can be used as a sort of climate controlled tent (IF you find the natural climate to be too hot or too cold. Sue Anne describes what can be done -- set the climate control (engine off) to the desired temperature and go to sleep. When the battery drains enough to need the engine, the car starts without any driver input and then runs only 4 minutes out of every half hour to keep the climate system working. The great thing is, IMO, having such a portable climate controlled environment to doze off in....near a beach....way up in the mountains.....out in the desert....IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE....NEARLY ANYWHERE close to a paved road. This really appeals to me. I ended up saving more of her pages.

Weeks later, I returned to this subject and read just a bit more of her blog. She keeps her bed as a permanent fixture when traveling (it isn't inflatable). That is too conspicuous to suit me. I started looking at what some other people had come up with. One guy on You Tube took a brand new Prius V and removed the rear seats. He then built strong reinforced boxes (with lids) that level the load area and bolt in the same way the seats are anchored and in the same location. He also constructed an easily removable platform (one each for driver and passenger sides) that extend from the edge of each box to the back of each front seat. His set up appealed to me more than Sue Anne's because his solution keeps 'everything behind the front seats' and can be covered by a tarp or something similar. Humans can adapt pretty easily and also easily communicate (with words) their displeasure to other humans. Given this, one might ask why the owner would go to such lengths to create a bed for himself and his wife (for camping trips). The answer is that he also created it for year round comfort for their 100 pound dog !

I then looked into how well a Prius V would fit in my garage (given the other items I need to house there), and it would be, by just a bit, too tight a fit to utilize in a comfortable manner. Plus, the standard Prius has better fuel economy than the Prius V. The standard Prius also can utilize a Habitent (designed for the standard Prius, fits on the Honda Insight, and doesn't fit on the Prius V or the Prius C), I started searching for solutions that would allow the use of the standard Prius.

I eventually found another website where someone had taken the 'extending the platform to the back of the front seat concept' that the Prius V owner had utilized and applied it to a standard Prius. Yet another Prius owner (in the comments on that STANDARD Prius owner's site) wrote that he had accomplished the same thing by filling up the rear passenger footwell with a backpack (and other things already in the car) and then putting a particular inflatable Coleman mattress on top of that. I thought THAT is the solution I prefer.

A few days ago I was reading more of the saved pages from sueanneonline.blogspot.com and noticed (in the comments) THAT THE GIRL FROM THE HERBIE'S WORLD TOUR couple had posted a comment!

I still have a fair amount of non camping 'Yaris Travel' that I want to do. I plan to keep my Yaris as a DD until it has (probably) between 375,000 and 400,000 miles on the odometer. There is quite a bit of development going on in my area right now (and into the near future). This development should play itself out by the time I get to that mileage level with my Yaris. If I don't end up liking the effects of the coming development, I'll likely sell my house and buy one closer to Lake Conroe (with more garage space.....enough for the Yaris as a non DD , and more storage), and buy a standard Prius. If I decide to keep my house, I'll likely still get a standard Prius and will have to come up with some other solution re storing my Yaris. I can't stand the thought of no longer owning a manual transmission car (and especially one that has served me so well), even if I'm no longer using it as a DD!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #89
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Always interesting to see the market differencs around the world. Every market is completely different. Best sellers in one country aren't even sold in another. Weird. I can see why economics, gas prices, and government policy changes demand for certain models but I wonder why consumer tastes are so different. Automakers even have to tailor different styling of the same model to different markets.

Check out the USA's top 10 just for June. Notice it's mostly large trucks and mid-size sedans compared to other markets dominated by small cars/trucks. The Ford F-Series numbers continue to be ridiculous. It sells more in the US than all cars combined in many/most countries.

Definitely regional differences....and international differences. I'd guess there's (overall) less available public transportation here in in what people on the East and West Coasts call 'flyover country'.....more need to drive...and more rural drivers...more need (or at least a perceived need ) for pickup trucks...hence the F-series and Silverado popularity.

On a recent holiday weekend, I saw a dealer ad in the Houston Chronicle for a new 2013 standard Prius Two for $20,300 + destination + T & L. That's $3900.00 off the factory sticker. I also saw other Prius ads mentioning 'plenty in stock' re the standard Prius...some ads giving the number to choose from. I don't remember either of these scenarios ever being the case in the SF Bay Area, but that might have changed.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #90
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Big vehicles are the craze in this area .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote