Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #235
bigdoglover

Drives: 2007 red lb
just filled up yesterday and i manually check my mpg every tank. with the hot weather and using a/c the last week my yaris only got 34 mpg. i normally get 38 mpg without even trying so using the a/c really sucks the mpg in my yaris. i need a more fuel efficient car but this one is paid for. it just was too hot not to use the a/c
bigdoglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #236
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoglover View Post
just filled up yesterday and i manually check my mpg every tank. with the hot weather and using a/c the last week my yaris only got 34 mpg. i normally get 38 mpg without even trying so using the a/c really sucks the mpg in my yaris. i need a more fuel efficient car but this one is paid for. it just was too hot not to use the a/c
I guess you do a lot of city driving? Only a hybrid is going to do better I think. Are you driving an automatic? With a stickshift you can pulse and glide, even in traffic to some extent. Very short pulses in lower gears, then coast a little, pulse again.. one can maintain pretty much the same speed as the traffic.

However, on trips to go pick up my kids on that side of town I seldom can wring out 40 MPG, even doing all of that. The rest of the time I usually get over 50 mpg on any trip over 10 miles. Short trips always suck.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #237
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Good post, nice read. I got 38 mpg (new owner/one month-ish) while doing 80-85 down to st pete and 36 mpg / uphill on way back. Coming off a caprice wagon with an LT1 engine, I am lovin the 38 @ 80-85 mph. I am going to put a TRD high flow filter in, for the increased flow potential, HP gain potential and improved performance/response. However, it is a myth that any high flow or even just new air filters provide better fuel mileage in anything that doesn't have a carburetor. FYI. New air filter will protect your engine and if it is fuel injected, will provide better response, not mileage. This is average user, hyper-miler, well, they get good mileage anyway. Good job, 50 plus, cool. I am also against the start stop feature, as every time you use your starter is one less time you can use it again. If doing this, just get a Prius and enjoy the drive instead. Me, I was afraid of the many Prius failures, and know these cars to be good and dependable. (The Yarii). everything else in the read great, make sure to read the tire sidewall before bumping to 50 psi, as the majority of the market on tires is 44 psi max or some less 35 psi, and some at 51 psi, but more rare. Michelin has a mileage tire for us, but up a size or to a 16 inch and get the handler for performance hounds, the Pilot Sport AS3's.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #238
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
Folks get way too hung-up on MPG,they drive themselves "crazy".From the first page: Turning off your engine at all of those intervals is ridiculous,keep your engine in a good state of tune and be done with it.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #239
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
How are people getting 38mpg?
are you guys looking at instant mpg, looking at your scan gauge, or are you calculating your per tank mpg?
Somehow skewing the numbers?

38 psi in the tires
a/c on most of the time
I drive on average 25 miles one way to work
70-80mph
I only see 32-33 mpg per tank
Average 326 miles on 10 gallons
I fill the tank completely every time

This is summary of every fill up (partial and full) since owning my '14

Sent from my metallic purple honami
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #240
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
70-80mph
I would guess that this is the biggest issue. I usually drive 55-62 MPH in the slow lane. My last tank = just over 42.5 MPG, and the current tank will surpass that rate.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #241
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Best economy is 50mph and below.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #242
Shroomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I would guess that this is the biggest issue. I usually drive 55-62 MPH in the slow lane. My last tank = just over 42.5 MPG, and the current tank will surpass that rate.
That's what I thought too, but looking through the thread, all these people who claim to red line the car or drive faster than that, are getting better mpg than me...

Old 04-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #243
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
That's what I thought too, but looking through the thread, all these people who claim to red line the car or drive faster than that, are getting better mpg than me...

The ones I saw that mention your lowest speed or above :

Page 3 -- member lgcharlot: 37 MPG at 70 MPH for a couple of California to British Columbia road trips (member = a 4 post wonder)

Page 4 -- member Maypo mentions peak fuel economy was 39 MPG at 75 MPH -- closer attention reveals he is talking about a Fiat X1/9 (who knows why he is mentioning an X 1/9 (member = a 1 post wonder))

page 12 -- member Bilstein mentions 39 MPG at 75-80 MPH...but his tire pressure is at 50 PSI.

page 13 -- member Amdkt7 mentions 38 MPG at 70 MPH with a full load of people. The nature of all of his posts....overall, the hills probably help a bit, but I think he just has a stellar focus re his driving habits.

page 14 -- JimKellyfan -- 38 MPG at 80-85 MPH....aided (I imagine) by the downhill part of the trek (he uses 'uphill' in reference to the return)

side note: Page 2 -- Keesue's reply to Nigal -- set tires to 32 PSI and MPG improved....same thing happened to me when I did same (down from 38 PSI for me) sometime after last summer. In the past, PSI increase = MPG increase in my experience.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #244
Shroomster

I don't see how I could get another 4-5 mpg... Im not going to be able to decrease speed (Florida drivers are bad) and I'm pretty sure temp and humidity are factors, and even if I turn ac off, it will be negligible at highway speeds....

Old 04-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #245
Rigaud

My best I posted in "Fuelly" is 38mpg and my worse 30mpg. Cold damp weather this spring and on winter tires. I only posted twice for two fill ups. Got my summer wheels on and doing short 5 miles return trips around town plus some 35 miles trips on the highway but nothing under 65mph on highway. My very best this winter was 40mpg on a road trip, temps 20f hardly any wind. Next road trip I'll see how much better I'll do especially once I install a cruise control on it.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #246
marauder

Drives: '08 Yaris
In my area with my driving conditions I'm seeing good numbers, but still early in my miles tracked and learning my vehicle. I will be picking up lighter wheels and tires and lowering a bit which I hope will get me close to 50mpg average. I never run a/c, typically just driver window down getting a left arm suntan.

I am only using DFCO and keeping speeds around 60 when possible, otherwise if I'm going faster I try to stay 5-6 car lengths behind the car ahead to reduce some of the drag.

Considering rigging up an active grille block shutter system when I have time to study how the new cars are doing it, maybe harvest the parts off a wrecked car or something so I can do it on the cheap.

Will be picking up a scangauge soon for some live data.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #247
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Honestly, you aren't driving far enough to get really great gas mileage. And I lived in Poinciana for a few years, florida drivers are not that bad. They can go around you just as well as any other driver.

But the a/c hurts gas mileage, your speed will kill gas mileage, some run much more tire pressure.

I average a little above 39 mpg, as calculated on fuelly.

Some tips? Use the gas pedal like it is a nuclear bomb that will destroy the world. Look ahead and plan to cruise to a stop so you never have to hit the brakes.

If you have to use a/c, and down in Orlando I can't blame you, turn it off and on so it won't suck up as much gas. If you are on interior air re circulation you can go a few minutes with the a/c off. Also buy and apply the darkest tint you possibly can, legally.

I go as slow as I possibly can. I usually do not exceed 50. On highways I go at maximum 5 miles below the speed limit. I try to stay near 50 if at all possible.

I generally do not drive long trips, but commuting 50+ miles 1 way makes getting great gas mileage really easy, my best tank of gas was 47 mpg when I had to drive over an hour each way every day for two weeks.

Quote:
are you guys looking at instant mpg, looking at your scan gauge, or are you calculating your per tank mpg?

38 psi in the tires
a/c on most of the time
70-80mph

This is summary of every fill up (partial and full) since owning my '14

Old 04-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #248
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I lived in Poinciana for a few years, florida drivers are not that bad. They can go around you just as well as any other driver.
I haven't lived in Florida, as Shroomster does and you did, but I've probably spent more time there over the last 8 years than in any state but Texas and California, and I've been all over the state. In my experience, your statement above is definitely true re Shroomster's area (the Orlando area). Re my experiences, if Shroomster lived generally anywhere south of an imaginary line drawn between Bradenton and Fort Pierce, I could see what he's saying in his last post being the case (especially on I-75 between Bradenton and the western edge of Alligator Alley)....but the craziness could have finally migrated up his way.

I agree with all of your suggestions (in other parts of your post) re improving MPG.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #249
YHWilliam09

Drives: '09 Base 2-door Hatchback AT
Quote:

38 psi in the tires
a/c on most of the time
70-80mph
I work a pizza delivery job in suburbia and average right around 40 mpg. There are many small things that add up to help like tire psi, using a ScanGauge, etc., but the biggest factor in increasing your gas mileage is your driving style.

If you want to get up near 40 mpg, you'll need to learn and use many hypermiling techniques and start using a gauge that shows your instant mpg. Some of the techniques can be a burden if you don't want to deal with other drivers getting mad at you, but there are many you can use that won't affect anybody else on the road more than what's normal. Read these two articles, and they should help you quite a bit:

100+ Hypermiling Tips

Beating the EPA - The Why’s and How to Hypermile

YHWilliam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #250
Shroomster

So you all are getting 400+ miles per tank? Crazy......

Old 04-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #251
Rigaud

Quote:
So you all are getting 400+ miles per tank? Crazy......

360-395 miles per tank this winter on snow tires and cold. I'm about to find out what I do on summer wheels. I just drive, not going nuts trying to suck every possible mile out of a tank. If I compare with my Suburban or Audi A6, it's awesome. ;P

Old 05-01-2014, 12:37 AM   #252
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
as bad as this winter was, with much colder than average temps and 122 inches of snow, my average for december 1 through april 1 was 40.9 mpg's. now that summer gas is here (along with warmer weather), I expect to be closer to 44 mpg's.

5 speed manual. mostly suburban/light suburban/rural driving with speeds usually ranging from 40-60 mph, with about 10-15% true city driving.

I do not hyper mile. I do drive reasonably and avoid blasting away from every stop.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote