Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
ppk

Drives: 2007 liftback
ABS questions

So it's winter, and the ABS computer is a little too dumb to my liking.

1) Does anyone have a diagram of the fuse box that says which fuse does what? The first thing I'd like to do is pull the fuse and make sure that I like it better without the ABS.

2) Ideally I would fabricate a switch to turn it on and off at will. I recognize that ABS is good to have for those 'oh shit' moments so having it off all the time is not necessarily the best idea. I'm thinking if I put the fuse in a fuse holder and make a circuit with an on/off switch it could work pretty well. Has this been done before? What difficulties can I anticipate? How does the car respond to that? Any help would be appreciated.

Peace.
ppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #2
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppk View Post
So it's winter, and the ABS computer is a little too dumb to my liking.

1) Does anyone have a diagram of the fuse box that says which fuse does what? The first thing I'd like to do is pull the fuse and make sure that I like it better without the ABS.

2) Ideally I would fabricate a switch to turn it on and off at will. I recognize that ABS is good to have for those 'oh shit' moments so having it off all the time is not necessarily the best idea. I'm thinking if I put the fuse in a fuse holder and make a circuit with an on/off switch it could work pretty well. Has this been done before? What difficulties can I anticipate? How does the car respond to that? Any help would be appreciated.

Peace.
Don't get your reasoning, but yes, the fuse removal will disable the ABS pump from kicking in.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:53 AM   #3
ppk

As I'm sure you know, ABS prevents the wheels from locking. In certain *cough* off-road situations it is sometimes desirable to lock the wheels for a short time to upset the balance of the car and throw it sideways. Let's just say I love to kick the little yaris around in the snow
Old 12-02-2008, 12:56 AM   #4
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
As I'm sure you know, ABS prevents the wheels from locking. In certain *cough* off-road situations it is sometimes desirable to lock the wheels for a short time to upset the balance of the car and throw it sideways. Let's just say I love to kick the little yaris around in the snow
Locking the wheels means loss of traction. Loss of traction means your weight will balance out again, because the wheels aren't slowing down the car as much as it could. So your weight will go on the rear wheels again. Not in a large amount, but it will.

An e-brake pull hard enough will produce the same results that I'm sure you're looking for.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
so use your ebrake
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
Tamago

i can tell you this... removal of the ABS relay will be catastrophic. your brakes will be insanely touchy.. expect to dump your car in a ditch if you try this
Old 12-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
ppk

Really? Have you done it?

Mostly it interferes with left foot braking... I very well know how to slide the rear end with the e-brake by the way... You just happen to have more control from the foot brake (in my opinion).
Old 12-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
doesn't disabling the ABS make the car behave exactly like the rest of us that don't have ABS to begin with? I like the control I have with my car without ABS.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #9
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
doesn't disabling the ABS make the car behave exactly like the rest of us that don't have ABS to begin with? I like the control I have with my car without ABS.
Theoretically, yes but the brake balance/assist could be defferent between the ABS and non ABS cars. I have no idea, that is just speculation.

Most non ABS cars have a fairly linear pedal feel while ABS cars are more progressive. Toyota may have just left it alone and thrown in an ABS box.

Last edited by largeorangefont; 12-03-2008 at 09:27 AM.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #10
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
if your ABS is anything like mine, your car will NOT handle like a non-ABS yaris.. on R comps i gently tapped the brake heading into a slalom and all 4 wheels locked up instantly. the brakes are over-boosted without the ABS pump running.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #11
ppk

Quote:
if your ABS is anything like mine, your car will NOT handle like a non-ABS yaris.. on R comps i gently tapped the brake heading into a slalom and all 4 wheels locked up instantly. the brakes are over-boosted without the ABS pump running.
Stock brakes I assume... Then that is a good reason to not do it. I'll leave it as it is, tighten the e-brake and raise the pressure in the rear tyres to get it sliding a little more. Which brings me to another question - how do you remove the plastic trim around the e-brake to get to the nut that tightens it? I fiddled around with it and removed the little plastic square right in front of it (the thing with the lock/unlock switch if you have electric door locks) and the rubbery part that covers the base of the e-brake. I can see the nut but the main plastic part in between the too seats is preventing me from reaching it. I looked around but don't see any nuts to remove it... Is it just clipped in? I don't want to break anything.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #12
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
in my last car i removed the abs fuse. it made the abs control module die after 10000 miles and my speedo and odo quit working. took me forever to find out wtf happened, i replaced the fuse and replaces the abs control module, worked perfectly again.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote