Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #19
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
i may be only 21 but ive been into cars a long time and have build several engines with my dad, there is just no substitute for quality...period. had i had that in mind i would not have wasted money on crap parts. ive had to build my own before too, it sucks. i wouldnt think about opening my hood if i had ebay parts in there....
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #20
Split

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
its a pipe with a filter.. i have an extra AFE filter i can use to replace the no-name filter on there anyway
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #21
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

whatever, its your car. no sense in arguing.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #22
Split

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
how can i really go wrong with a pipe? i confirmed that its mandrel bent.
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #23
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

your right, its just a pipe. any pipe will do.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #24
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
I've heard of cel issues due to MAF position of those ebay things around here. They still say it works but I might be bothered with the red light lit!
Old 11-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #25
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Quote:
your right, its just a pipe. any pipe will do.
corrrect :) maybe some PVC piping everyone....

Honestly... none of these companies build a compliant air intake for the sake of performance... they dont go through countless designs and mathematics... they grab a pipe, do some measurements, make sure it doesnt throw a CEL slap a filter on and you're done... RAI or CAI is not a super substantial modification.... a cheap piece of crap, vs AEM etc. I would grab the cheap piece of crap, coat it so it does not rust and then slap it on if it doesn't cause a CEL....

If you were worried about performance, go design and make youre own from bends and play with the sizing of the pipe vs length and what is optimum for the engine...
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #26
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

thats what companies like aem, fujita, simota, and other good brands do. they test and dyno to prove gains. im not wasting my money again on a cheap pos ebay craptake
Old 11-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #27
ztrack157
Vroom Vroom Beep Beep

Drives: Powered Roller Skate
Send a message via AIM to ztrack157 Send a message via MSN to ztrack157 Send a message via Yahoo to ztrack157
I have one of them and I like it just fine I did change out the filter to a simota one with a heat shield
ztrack157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #28
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

ill agree with you on the fujita intake, i know they make excellent products.

but on the simota, whats the need for a charge chamber?

if you knew how to weld, and can make a maf sensor holder you couldn't slap together one :p
Old 11-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #29
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

i would imagine a charge chamber being like a stored amount of air, when a sudden drop in pressure arises there is the extra air to make up for it. it keeps the power ban nice and smooth as much as possible. for those who mess around with 2 strokes its kind of like a boost bottle.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:41 PM   #30
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I'll agree w/ Nexus, I love my Fujita! and guess what, I got it on ebay, so does that make it ebay crap? No, I think not...lol

Peace, Love and Good Smoke!
--Tommy Chong
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:41 PM   #31
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

ehhh i would think it would be more turbulent than beneficial, but i am thinking of getting a boost bottle for my sled...i thought they just added the carbon fiber for flashyness...
Old 11-05-2008, 11:21 PM   #32
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

no im pretty sure its beneficial. i put a boost bottle on my 4 wheeler...its awesome lol
Old 11-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #33
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
i may be only 21 but ive been into cars a long time and have build several engines with my dad, there is just no substitute for quality...period. had i had that in mind i would not have wasted money on crap parts. ive had to build my own before too, it sucks. i wouldnt think about opening my hood if i had ebay parts in there....
My MR2 has an ebay intake from a teg GSR becasue they do not make them for the MR2, its held in place with a huge zip tie used as a hanger

out of all the times i opened the engine lid, nobody pointed out or bothered

now i wouldnt say buying a major part from ebay or cheaping out but on an intake its not that big of a deal as everybody on here thinks

its only a tube with a filter, i remember back in the day we use to buld them

the ebay ones look better then the ones we use to build, but then again we were going for more of a fuction over how pretty our engine bays look
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #34
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

i just figure it like this, i take a lot of pride in my cars, i love them a lot. if im not going to skimp out of other serious parts why bother skimping on an intake..its just an intake. I believe that the intake is actually a pretty serious part of an engine and i have seen the insides of those ebay pipes rust and just imagine that rust going into your engine....eeeew. thats just my opinion...kind of like how i refuse to by rota, exel, og, 5zigen, or any other brand of knockoff wheel. I guess it all does depend on your scene though, here in nashville or at least the people i hang around, if you dont have the good stuff...you suck. its all status i guess.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #35
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Go for it and save yourself some cash! Almost every criticism of that intake on this thread is incorrect. It is alumnium and will not rust, the tubing is mandrel bent, and it is not going to cause "turbulence".

That ebay intake is most likely just fine. You are right, A pipe is a pipe, and there is really no need to spend $200 for one. The one you have shown looks to be designed correctly. It has OEM diameter piping, the MAF is placed correctly, and the PCV is vented after the MAF.

You may deal with fitment issues, but I can't see them being very serious. The only part that may be questionable is the filter istelf. Some of the immitation K&N filters are not so good. But even if you got a new filter, it would still be cheap, and the power will be comperable to anything else on the market. Summit now offers immitation K&N filters for $20-$30 bucks.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #36
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

i guess that about settles it then. go for it after all, a pipe is just a pipe right?