Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-07-2010, 01:07 AM   #19
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
I can share the following real world info with you based on my personal experiences during my past decade of drag racing, road racing, and professional drifting...

Dan Gardner's NASA road racing Scion tC, backed by Scion, Toyota Racing Development, and NST has never had any issues while using a full array of NST products over the past few years...

NonStopTuning's turbocharged S13 drift car competed for several seasons in the Formula Drift Pro-AM and other drift series and never had any crank problems...

Tommy Suell's Formula Drift AE86 drift car was consistently ran at redline for several seasons and was putting down twice as much power as it did when the motor was in stock trim, and it never had any crank/bearing problems...

NonStopTuning's custom turbocharged 4AGE 2009 D1GP USA drift car ran the entire season on the same engine, using the entire catalog of NST products for the 4AG, and never had any engine problems of any kind related to NST pulleys.

Not all aluminum pulleys are created the same, and no other pulley is an NST pulley.

Last edited by NonStopTuning; 02-07-2010 at 01:25 AM.
NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #20
NonStopTuning

In addition, there are dozens of comprehensive NST threads where thousands of NST customer have posted their firsthand, real world, daily/track, experiences with our products on Hondas, Nissans, Toyotas, Scions, etc.

Theories are a great place to start, positive real world reviews from thousands of real world users is worth more in some peoples' books...

www.86garage.com
www.club4ag.com
www.yarisworld.com

www.scionlife.com
www.microimageonline.com
www.xr-underground.com

www.tercelonline.com
www.solaraguy.com
www.scikotics.com

www.8thcivic.com
www.tsxclub.com
www.fabricatedmotorsports.com

www.houston240sx.com
www.houston-imports.com
www.the370z.com

www.ourvq.com
www.n54tech.com

Thousands of real world reviews from real world customers using NST crank pulleys on various makes and models. No cases of engine failure.

Those of you who may be interested in reading other YW members' reviews can follow along in the following thread...
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4737

Good luck and have fun with all your projects everyone!

Old 02-07-2010, 05:45 AM   #21
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Getting my NST CR Lite Crank Pulley put on in 11 hours and 18 minutes and counting. NST FTW!

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:48 AM   #22
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
.....I own a pulley, garm can verify that. It is just not on my car........
Why have a NST pulley if it aint going on your car? Did you want to make a wall clock out of it or a liteweight paperweight? Do you have plans to put it on your car?

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Old 02-07-2010, 05:51 AM   #23
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
....No cases of engine failure....
Good enough for me.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #24
talcum

Drives: Yaris 2008 3 dr 5 spd
I'm surprised Camelll you aren't stressing more over the idea of some shlepp with a Wallyworld torque wrench putting on a new pulley? I mean if it isn't tight enough, there's your vibration. Would seem a lot more likely that the wrench would be out of cal, or the engine slipped on the last torque than the pulley was the problem.

Never forget the human factor.
talcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #25
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
I'm done with this debate. As garm accurately noted many posts ago, camell isn't going to change his thinking, nor is he willing to hear anyone else. Apparently he believes he has some outrageous level of automotive engineering knowledge that far exceeds everyone else on the forum, and we're all idiots who have no experience whatsoever. Judging from his posts, I'd guess he spends most of his time doing exactly what he's doing here; sitting in front of a computer.
I personally have been taking engines apart and modifying cars for 26 years, when I bought and rebuilt my first car, a VW Fastback, so "yes", I know a thing or 2 about engines and how they function. I have a degree in Applied Physics and one in Environmental Geology, so I feel comfortable with numbers and forces. One does not need to be an automotive design engineer (which I doubt Camell is) to understand the relatively-simple forces involved in the internal combustion engine.
I think bashing (yes, your ongoing tirade against NST is "bashing") a vendor with good products and a desire to serve a relatively-small community (Yarii) and the folks who sell the products because you've learned a few cool engineering phrases online is pointless and sad. I do not believe camell is attempting to do a public service by repeatedly questioning the NST pulley. If camell is so sure about the need for a dampened pulley, then he should design and build one, then market it head-to-head against NST.
OUT.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #26
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
...If camell is so sure about the need for a dampened pulley, then he should design and build one, then market it head-to-head against NST...
OUT.
Why would he do that when Toyota has already done it with the OE pulley? I think camell has some points here. I have spoken to and built multiple engines and have always opted to build and balance the motor with the stock (dampened pulley). None of these motors are from Toyota but they have been 4 cylinder, high revving powerplants. Although the noise might seem miniscule, so are engine and bearing clearances and unless a motor is torn down often for inspection, there is no way to tell what the reality is. Many racers (who race with lightweight crank pulleys) will NOT recommend their usage for the street. That, in and of itself, tells a story...
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #27
*MAD DOG*

Just had the NST CR Lite Crank pulley installed at a mechanic. They quoted me $90 labour an hour. They did the job in just under 30 minutes and charged me $45 woot.

First thing I noticed was when I put my foot on the gas pedal the car responded quicker and appeared to take off from a stop start faster and easier.

Then I drove around for a while with a big grin on my face and was very happy when a set of lights turned red (another chance for a take off test). I'm very happy with the NST product and would recommend it to anyone and everyone with a Yaris.

My wife has a 1.3 litre Yaris, I think the biggest gain would be on her engine. Maybe I’ll talk her into one of these and then get the 10% underdrive for myself.

NST FTW!

Old 02-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #28
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
This question has always been absurd. people railing against NST because they feel power....

The onus is NOT on NST, it is on you. Proove that they cause damage, or go away.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #29
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Why would he do that when Toyota has already done it with the OE pulley?
Because of this:

Quote:
First thing I noticed was when I put my foot on the gas pedal the car responded quicker and appeared to take off from a stop start faster and easier.
If you've ever held both in your two hands, the difference is really obvious.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #30
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Camelll, you offered your pulley for $90 earlier in the thread. I'll buy it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #31
NonStopTuning

This thread is amazing. First, bashing of NST products... then going into personal attacks against my degree of education, intelligence level, and downplaying the level of experience that I may have amassed over the past decade of racing and research and development.

I am all for posting information and facts and I'm always open to doing so, but after some of the insinuations and attacks that have been posted here, this will be my final reply in this thread. I will not post here after this reply.

On a side note, this may be the final month of NST paying fees to sponsor YW and sponsorship of the forums.

To those of you who have supported our products and brand, we appreciate your help and support very much. Good luck and have fun with all your projects everyone.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #32
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
Where have I said I feel power? I have just posted some info on vibration and harmonics. Well I guess knowledge is power, that is a pretty famous quote from some educated people. Read and study what I have posted and you see exactly why the pulley on almost every vehicle produced in the world is damped.

I do not bear the burden of proof, I am not the one who is gaining any benefit by doing what I am doing. If you think I am gaining by doing what I am doing then explain it to me. I am not the one selling a product. I am not the one who is claiming that my product will cause no damage to your vehicle unless you have a 400 hp, boosted and driven in an 11,000 rpm range constantly. I have also posted links to fact, yes I said fact. Undisputed published papers that show you harmonics and vibrations are bad and can cause damage. This is all the proof I need. If you choose to put one on your car after reading all the info that has unfolded out of this thread and you actually read it, then you have made an informed decision.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you have yours.
you are being an internet bully, plain and simple. it obviously makes you feel good about yourself or you wouldn't do it.

The facts are out there, thousands of people using NST's products with maybe (maybe) 1 vehicle damaged. That is proof that NST's stuff is good, and that they know more than you.

The onus is on you to find real world examples that back up what you are saying. At this point your thoughts are worth less than what you do in a bathroom.

The ideas and papers you are posting are also worthless. Assuming that the oem does everything for safety is stupid. They also care about the cheapest possible. Among other things. The one thing we can guarantee is that the oem was not thinking about performance...

Bring real world proof to back up what you are saying, because you are making yourself to be a fool. Theory and reality have a long history of being exact opposites.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #33
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

i see no opinions. i only see fact. You cannot state one certain case where an NST pulley has damaged a vehicle.

That is all.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #34
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

if there are no documented cases then it cannot cause damage. That is the current rather sound working theory. Proven thousands of times over.

Your theory has zero proof. If you really think it is true do it to your own car. install the pulley then tear down the engine in 10,000 miles looking for damage.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:23 AM   #35
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
This thread is amazing. First, bashing of NST products... then going into personal attacks against my degree of education, intelligence level, and downplaying the level of experience that I may have amassed over the past decade of racing and research and development.

I am all for posting information and facts and I'm always open to doing so, but after some of the insinuations and attacks that have been posted here, this will be my final reply in this thread. I will not post here after this reply.

On a side note, this may be the final month of NST paying fees to sponsor YW and sponsorship of the forums.

To those of you who have supported our products and brand, we appreciate your help and support very much. Good luck and have fun with all your projects everyone.
Mike,

It will be a sad sad day to see NST leave this forum as a vendor. After only having your CR Lite Crank pulley on my car for a few hours I don't know why I waited so long to get one. Smoother, faster acceleration off the line for such a simple mod. I'd like to thank you and NST for having the balls to make such a product. I could go on, but I'm sure you've read more than your fair share of positive testimonies.

Keep making products for the Yaris. Farewell.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:17 AM   #36
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Guys, remember the great intake debate?

Debating Camell is somewhat of a futile endeavor. He's not too interested in the subject at hand, but rather in having the last word/post.

I remember him bashing my wikipedia links on the intake debate on the reason that wikipedia is a bunch of unverified statements made by simple people, yet he uses more than a dozen wikipedia links to support his tirade against NST pulleys...

As for the OEM pulley, I've seen what time and the elements do to rubber. They make it hard and brittle. There is no way that rubber ring will maintain its rubbery properties for many years, so I think it's quite safe to assume that after a while, the OEM pulley is just like a solid pulley... only MUCH heavier...