Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #1
dtbrown

Drives: Yaris
Best MOD for midrange to lower rpm gain. Neen a little more low end grunt.

YES I SEARCHED

I'm not looking to make my yaris a performance car. Just looking to gain some midrange to lower rpm tq and hp. I just took it on a cross country trip and it did well but on some mountain areas it had some trouble unless it was reving high.

Seem all CAI are just gains in the higher rpm close to redline but I hardly ever rev the car that high. Unless someone could suggest a CAI that has proven gains in the lower range that would great. Or any other suggestion if there is any.

I'd love for a turbo kit but seems non one makes a kit for it unless you feel like making your own.
dtbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
ruimond

Drives: Yaris YR
NST Pulley Kit (Crank, Alt and Water Pulley). Would probably be the best for low-mid range and throughout the rpm range.

If you can only get one pulley, just get the NST 10% Underdrive Pulley if you don't intend to Supercharge later on. Its better for N/A and Turbo applications.

Cheers

Mods: 17x7 ANZ Tazer Wheels with 215/40/17 Marangoni Tyres | AFE Air Intake System | NST Short Shifter Kit | NST Shifter Cable Bushing Kit | NST 10% Underdrive Crank Pulley | Pedders Sports Springs | Custom 2inch Cat-Back Walker Muffler with 2.5inch Xforce Twin Stainless Steel Tip | RS Side Skirts | RS Euro Spoiler | YRX Front Lip Spoiler | TRD Style Front Grill | 12mm Rear Hub Spacers | Ultra Racing 23mm Rear Sway Bar
ruimond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
Aothachos
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Aothachos Send a message via Yahoo to Aothachos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruimond View Post
NST Pulley Kit (Crank, Alt and Water Pulley). Would probably be the best for low-mid range and throughout the rpm range.

If you can only get one pulley, just get the NST 10% Underdrive Pulley if you don't intend to Supercharge later on. Its better for N/A and Turbo applications.

Cheers
Yes deffinatly, i put the 10% underdrive pulley on by itself for awhile on my car (i had my water pump and altenator as well, but not installed) and already felt a difference. You can install this part by yourself no problem, takes about 1-2 hours depending how experienced you are. But right away, you feel better take off when you accelerate from a stationary position. Pick up is better, everything overall, #1 suggested first mod for all yaris's
Aothachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
It's a low-powered 4-cylinder car. If you're driving in the mountains, you will sometimes need to use 4th gear to maintain speed... even 3rd if it's really steep. Things like the pullies and a good header will help, but you won't eliminate that issue.

Removing weight helps, too.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
im curious too...just put in my prm intake so far happy with it. but bottom end hp increase will be interesting.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruimond View Post

Cheers
Word
Old 03-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
dtbrown

Drives: Yaris
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll do some search into the NST 10% pully and maybe a CAI. I wonder if the underdrive pulley effects mpg much?
dtbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
Aothachos
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Aothachos Send a message via Yahoo to Aothachos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbrown View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll do some search into the NST 10% pully and maybe a CAI. I wonder if the underdrive pulley effects mpg much?
well, i have a nitto exhaust, 10% underdrive pulley as well as the altenator and water pump, and a cold air intake, my full tank of gas went from the usual 350miles to about 320...

i used to go 80 miles on the first bar, now i go 60 miles
Aothachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
newyar

Drives: Yaris Liftback 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aothachos View Post
well, i have a nitto exhaust, 10% underdrive pulley as well as the altenator and water pump, and a cold air intake, my full tank of gas went from the usual 350miles to about 320...

i used to go 80 miles on the first bar, now i go 60 miles
Do you drive it harder now with all these mods? Seems odd those would cost that much of a mileage loss.
newyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:56 AM   #10
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
If you really want to feel an enormous difference, change your rims to something lighter. I just changed my rims from the 16lb steelies to Enkei RPF1s. They are 6.5lb lighter a piece or 28lb total rotating weight. Both stopping and braking have been greatly improved. The acceleration gains right off the line are tremendous! Cornering with the additional width rocks. I am pretty sure there is no other upgrade that can do all of that.

Check out tirerack.
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
fuji, winner! Lightweight wheels ftw.

Guys, guys, pulleys net you a few HP tops. They aren't a power mod as much as they are an efficiency mod. Lets get serious here.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #12
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
agree with post 10 and 11. the most noticeable difference i've had was when i put my lighter wheels on.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #13
anexrx7

Drives: 08 MM HB
I dont suggest those wheels in your application, as thats over a $800 investment for the rims alone, and you'll likely want new tires. On top of that, in your area of the county, much like mine, you're going to encounter the salty weather, and chewed up roads, especially when you go out in the country hills. I do suggest to pulley first to see if that helps your throttle response for your driving technique and moves the power where you'd like it down lower. As everyone pretty much said though, its just part of the car with the small 4cyl engine, with little torque to work with.
anexrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #14
Klinton

Drives: 2009 Yaris sedan Flint Mica
well you can get some nice used rims mine were 4 years old when i got them

205/45/17 Nittos/ KN tyhoon 69 intake
EURO areo muffler / DF 210 Springs
NST 10% Pulley/ 15% tint
600watt rockford punch 12" subs and amp
micro image rocks!
Klinton is offline   Reply With Quote