Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
skeck
keckbot

Drives: 2007 Blazin' Blue Liftback
Foglights failed to work for a short while...

My foglights failed to work this early evening after never having a problem since their install a month ago. Then about ten mnutes ago they came on after I had the switch on for a minute, they just suddenly came back on. It rained today so i am wondering if possibly something got wet and caused this? I checked the lenses themselves and there was zero condensation inside, so they are sealed. Next thought is to check where the wires go into the back of the lights to ensure it is sealed tight enough where the connection is. The dash light was still coming on for the fogs even when they weren't working, so i am assuming it is not the connection anywhere but where the lights connect themselves, but what do i know. Anyone have any ideas for what may be causing this or how I could verify? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Did they come from me?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
skeck
keckbot

No, everything I have gotten from you has worked perfectly :) They came back on then went off again. Waiting for rain to let up here then I am going to start by checking the bulbs, etc. The bulbs are only a few eeks old, but they did come on the cheap from ebay
Old 09-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
skeck
keckbot

Okay...update...I checked the bulbs, replaced the fuse, checked the ground, and the switch lights up, I can hear a click when the switch lights up as it would normally sound when trigerring them, but still no damn lights. Any ideas?
Old 10-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #5
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Do you have a multimeter or a test light? Start checking to see where you have power. I'd probably start by checking the switch to see if it has power out of it. Sounds like it has power in if its lighting up but double check anyways. Work from there to see where the power loss is. Double check all of your connections as you go. Check your fuses with your meter and you wont have to replace them unless needed.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
skeck
keckbot

Thanks Stove. So far I have now replaced the bulbs, checked all the connections, replaced the fuse and the dash light and switch lights both work. I was a bit concerned when the lights came without a fuse on the line going from power to the lamps, so I am sure now it has to be that the lamps themselves are done for. I am ordering a new set of lamps and installing a fuse between the power and the lamps, and hopefully that will do the trick.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
skeck
keckbot

But, maybe Stove you are right and I try and save myself any more unneeeded expenses and buy a tester to make sure power is getting to them. In an "ah ha" moment I am thinking today I will connect another light to the positive wire from the fogs and then ground the ohter wire for the light to see if there is indeed power going to them and this way I can avoid buying a tester. So basically, I think I just figured out my own solution while I was rambling here. We will see.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
skeck
keckbot

Case closed...Lights are working again. Tried another set of lights, found no power going to line. Checked wiring in fusebox and wire had burnt up. Higher gage wire utilized (other than the cheapo 16 gauge that came with the fogs) and added 20 amp fuse between the fusebox and the fogs and presto...foglights returned.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
^
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
dzcab

Drives: 2011 3Dr Hatch
Hey not to highjack this thread but my fogs started acting up
Today. They are flashing on and off very rapidly so is the dashboard indicator and underneath my steering wheel they are making noise like it's arcing but it's not. Does anyone have an idea what it can be. I was thinking it was a relay.
dzcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzcab View Post
Hey not to highjack this thread but my fogs started acting up
Today. They are flashing on and off very rapidly so is the dashboard indicator and underneath my steering wheel they are making noise like it's arcing but it's not. Does anyone have an idea what it can be. I was thinking it was a relay.
It probably is the relay, but due to a loose pin on the headlight stalk connector. Pop the lower steering column cover and check your connections.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
dzcab

I don't see anything that can be loose. I went and checked yesterday and now it is not make the flickering noise like it was and when I turn the light switch on now they do not work at all. The switch is still lit and occasionally would flicker but the fog light would not come on. I took the relay out and it looks fine, I cannot tell if it is no good since I do not know how to test I went to radio shack and local auto parts but no one carries that relay. Where can I look next?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I don't see anything that can be loose. I went and checked yesterday and now it is not make the flickering noise like it was and when I turn the light switch on now they do not work at all. The switch is still lit and occasionally would flicker but the fog light would not come on. I took the relay out and it looks fine, I cannot tell if it is no good since I do not know how to test I went to radio shack and local auto parts but no one carries that relay. Where can I look next?
You can test the relay with a multimeter and a 9 volt battery. If you put the 9 volt battery to the two coil contacts (see my line drawing below) the relay will click on. When it is on the contacts will close, so with a multimeter you can check between the two contacts. They should be open when the 9 volt battery is not on the coils and closed when it is.

- Contact
- Contact
|| Coil
Old 10-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
dzcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You can test the relay with a multimeter and a 9 volt battery. If you put the 9 volt battery to the two coil contacts (see my line drawing below) the relay will click on. When it is on the contacts will close, so with a multimeter you can check between the two contacts. They should be open when the 9 volt battery is not on the coils and closed when it is.

- Contact
- Contact
|| Coil

When I do this what should the multimeter say or what setting should I put it on. I have never done this before and I have someone letting me use their multimeter.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
When I do this what should the multimeter say or what setting should I put it on. I have never done this before and I have someone letting me use their multimeter.

Thanks
If the multimeter has a "continuity setting" (sometimes has a diode symbol to indicate that setting ->|- ) you can set it on that and when you do the meter should beep if you touch its probes together. If it does, then use that setting and it should beep when you have the tips on the two contact terminals and touch the 9V batter to the two coil terminals.

If the one you borrowed doesn't have "continuity" then put it in Resistance mode (Ohms). If it has multiple ranges for resistance, it doesn't matter which you use. In resistance mode it will say something like "OL" on the screen with the probes not touching anything and if you touch them together it should go down to zero (or mighty close there to). Same as above, when you touch the 9volt battery to the coil terminals the reading should change to just like you touched the probes together (that is it should be near zero).
Old 10-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #16
dzcab

Well I was lucky enough to get a new relay from MI, but it is still not working. I have gone over all connections and everything is connected in order. Then switch lights up but it does not work. I opened the switch up and when I move the bulb that is not lit It flickers for a milli second but it is so fast that I do not get to see if the lights are on or if the indicator on dash flickers as well. I'm baffled, I've check all connections and fuse and relay and can't think of anything else than, if bulbs go out on fogs will that make the switch not light up or will it also make the indicator on dash to not come on? That's the only thing I can think of. When it started giving me problems the fogs were flickering and so was the indicator on dash and I heard flickering noise from under the dash so I assumed it was the relay,but then it stopped doing completely and just has not worked since but switch is lit.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Did you wire them with the relay harness that was included, or did you use the OEM wiring with the aftermarket switch?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #18
dzcab

I used the relay Provided in kit and it is wired to oem switch included that is run to the middle behind shifter. I think the switch maybe the problem. I used a light tester on the switch and when I make contact with the light part of circuit board on switch it works and lights up. When I take it of it shuts off. I am thinking that maybe the solder on switch is not making good contact cause it works when I jump switch with light tester. I ran the fogs direct to battery and they light up. the switch will ocasionally work it if I jiggle the circuit board and push in the on position. How can be sure it is the switch?