Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
Model Choice - SO hard to choose

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be buying a Yaris tomorrow - I just can't pass up the $1000 rebate from the government - I was tossing back and forth between the Yaris and the Honda Fit and since this rebate came out on March 20th - gotta go for the Yaris.

Anyways, I'm kinda torn between model choices and packages.

I want 3dr, so 5dr is out...but what package.

I want to keep the price as low as possible and save the most amount of money long-term.

I'm going to be financing, not leasing.

So Originally I thought I'd go with the 3DR CE "B" package as the 4 speakers are important, as is pwr mirrors mud flaps and rear wiper

But my cousin keeps telling me ABS and EBD are really important but I disagree... And I really don't care about not having power windows, locks, keyless entry, and A/C (I live in Victoria BC, it doesn't get super hot here, and I can just put the windows down when it is hot!)

Reason I'm torn is because not only is the C package about $1800 more than the B package, but if I go with the B package I can reduce the finance cycle from 5 yrs at 4.9% to 4 years at 4.9% and save myself about $500 in interest, not to mention the $1800 in options I don't really want.

So I'll be paying less tax, less interest, no A/C surcharge ($100) and saving money in the long run.

Though the RS model (without the A/C, pwr locks windows and keyless entry system) would be able $310/month w/ 5 year term ($312 3dr CE B package 4 year term) has the ABS and stuff but I don't really want all the fancy bits like rims spoilers leather steering wheel etc.

I hate that Toyota doesn't make it more customizable. I wish you could just get ABS and EBD as 1 package by itself like you can with the A/C

Is ABS really all that important? from tests Ive read on the net it doesn't reduce the stopping distance by THAT much. Not sure on this car specifically but from midsize cars at 60 mph to 0 ABS cuts the distance by a bit but not a HUGE amount.

What's the opinion of all you Yaris owners out there?

I mean I can save a lot of money by not going with it which I would rather do....but if I'm gonna die for it...it's all for not.

-Nao out
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
Quote:
Originally Posted by naossoan View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be buying a Yaris tomorrow - I just can't pass up the $1000 rebate from the government - I was tossing back and forth between the Yaris and the Honda Fit and since this rebate came out on March 20th - gotta go for the Yaris.

Anyways, I'm kinda torn between model choices and packages.

I want 3dr, so 5dr is out...but what package.

I want to keep the price as low as possible and save the most amount of money long-term.

I'm going to be financing, not leasing.

So Originally I thought I'd go with the 3DR CE "B" package as the 4 speakers are important, as is pwr mirrors mud flaps and rear wiper

But my cousin keeps telling me ABS and EBD are really important but I disagree... And I really don't care about not having power windows, locks, keyless entry, and A/C (I live in Victoria BC, it doesn't get super hot here, and I can just put the windows down when it is hot!)

Reason I'm torn is because not only is the C package about $1800 more than the B package, but if I go with the B package I can reduce the finance cycle from 5 yrs at 4.9% to 4 years at 4.9% and save myself about $500 in interest, not to mention the $1800 in options I don't really want.

So I'll be paying less tax, less interest, no A/C surcharge ($100) and saving money in the long run.

Though the RS model (without the A/C, pwr locks windows and keyless entry system) would be able $310/month w/ 5 year term ($312 3dr CE B package 4 year term) has the ABS and stuff but I don't really want all the fancy bits like rims spoilers leather steering wheel etc.

I hate that Toyota doesn't make it more customizable. I wish you could just get ABS and EBD as 1 package by itself like you can with the A/C

Is ABS really all that important? from tests Ive read on the net it doesn't reduce the stopping distance by THAT much. Not sure on this car specifically but from midsize cars at 60 mph to 0 ABS cuts the distance by a bit but not a HUGE amount.

I mean I can save a lot of money by not going with it which I would rather do....but if I'm gonna die for it...it's all for not.

-Nao out

I really dont know how the packages work over there but I got the power package which brings power windows and locks and thats it and I was fine it was a $1000 more but i guess what u get with the rebate pays for that.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
MDF

Drives: Getting a Yaris soon
ABS isnt mainly to help you stop faster in a straight line, but to help prevent skidding...so you can steer and brake at the same time without locking the brakes...viewed as such its a safety feature.

Im my opinion its worth getting it...

But I know what you mean in trying to keep the costs down...

For myself I like the 5-dr LB, and the only way to get ABS is with the LE Package B which includes air, pwr, keyless entry, etc...ABS is not a standalone option...

That sucks because ABS is standard on the Honda Fit
Old 04-02-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
MDF

If you want to stop in a straight line ASAP, just slam the brakes as hard as you can...it will ruin your tires and leave rubber marks, but ABS wont help you stop any faster than that...

Quote:

-Nao out
Old 04-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDF View Post
If you want to stop in a straight line ASAP, just slam the brakes as hard as you can...it will ruin your tires and leave rubber marks, but ABS wont help you stop any faster than that...
agreed. i think abs is intended for emergency braking maneuvers. my old civic without abs actually stopped sooner than a civic with abs. probably since my civic was bottom of the line, while the civic with abs had all the goodies, making it heavier...

--B
Old 04-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
MDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
IMO, I would get as many options as you can, you may not think you'll want the luxo options, but once you live with the car day to day, you may regret not getting them. The car will be easier to sell/trade in later on and have a higher resale if has all the options...

Cheers
I agree with Echo-Hrs...get the package C...the extra $1600 may seem like a lot now, but over 4-5 years, and your daily enjoyment of the car (and resale value too...) I would say that its worth getting...

...and if you have a girlfriend Im sure she'd really like AC...thats how I justify things...I say "Yeah I just got it for you..." :)
Old 04-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
naossoan

ok thanks guys I guess I'll go with the C package then. I'll just try and think to myself its only an extra 800 bucks cause of the $1000 rebate. It makes me feel better. Haha.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:27 AM   #8
naossoan

So I have to wait a while for my Yaris 3DR CE Manual transmission, w/ C Package in Polar White.

The dealer tried for like 10 minutes trying to get me to get a different color cause they had some at another dealership. But I'm like NO, I want WHITE! The Yaris just looks so good in White!!

It may be a good thing that I have to wait cause I just broke my left wrist last week, and I've never driven a manual transmission before...so I don't know if that would work well cause I can't really steer very well/safely with my left hand.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #9
riceboy

Drives: icebox
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
IMO, I would get as many options as you can, you may not think you'll want the luxo options, but once you live with the car day to day, you may regret not getting them. The car will be easier to sell/trade in later on and have a higher resale if has all the options...

Cheers
+2

and just steer with your legs!
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:07 AM   #10
naossoan

Toyota was practically begging me to get one of the other colors

Do you think they'd go for Free all weather floor mats and $500 off sticker price if i went with another color. I don't mind Black and blue...but heart's set on white
Old 04-04-2007, 04:52 AM   #11
Edd

Drives: None
ABS is a good thing to have. While it will take slightly longer to stop you than threshold braking, it stops you much quicker than lockup, which is what you will do when you panic in an emergency. Either learn the threshold on your brakes, or get ABS. Could be the difference between you behind a truck, or through one.
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:07 PM   #12
naossoan

So mine's going to be here on Saturday! Black instead of white, they can't find a white CE w/ C package anywhere in Canada oddly enough..

But I like black too.

So I'll officially be a yaris owner Saturday! Unfortunately paid sticker price, but I didn't really try to barter...I do get the $1000 Federal government rebate which helps...so yea!

I'm excited
Old 04-09-2007, 11:12 PM   #13
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
Quote:
So mine's going to be here on Saturday! Black instead of white, they can't find a white CE w/ C package anywhere in Canada oddly enough..

But I like black too.

So I'll officially be a yaris owner Saturday! Unfortunately paid sticker price, but I didn't really try to barter...I do get the $1000 Federal government rebate which helps...so yea!

I'm excited
lucky bum with that 1k rebate. Sure wish we had that in the States. Enjoy the Yaris on Saturday!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 03:29 PM   #14
JadeSeaYaris

Drives: Jade sea 07 yaris sedan
I have ABS on my Yaris Sedan and I know its very helpful. ABS is not designed to make you stop faster, ABS is designed to allow you to steer and brake at the same time. I find this very helpful here in California because half of the drivers here are crazy. Thank God for ABS
JadeSeaYaris is offline   Reply With Quote