Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-15-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
why do people hate rota's

so i was surfing the web and i see these supposibly jdm stuff that says, real friends dont let friends ride on rota's, i got a set of 15" rotas and i love them, they dont make wantanabe's/panasports anymore so i got the next best thing. im planning to get a pair of rota 17"s as well, maybe the real lites or the torques. i think they would be comparable to konigs since they also make knockoffs. so everybody whats your take on rota's?

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
People don't like them because they're knock-offs, like you said. My take on it... rims are a wear good and uber-expensive rims belong on show cars and summer-only cruisers. If you want a better look for your daily driver, find the best balance of price and quality you can get your hands on. One thing is for sure... I laugh at the high school kid that curbs the Work wheels he worked and saved all summer to buy. That is just silly.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

well i figured if they get messed up i wont be crying as much, plus more money for better rubber.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
My Rotas are on the way. I think they are great wheels and so do a whole lot of other people. There's just some snooty f*&ks that rag on stuff. Probably because they just couldn't bare to have anything except a "hot" brand item that is the going thing. I don't even see why these kinds of people would by a Yaris. The wheels look great and they do the job. The big expensive names rip off looks too. Rota support
Old 04-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
People don't like them because they're knock-offs, like you said. My take on it... rims are a wear good and uber-expensive rims belong on show cars and summer-only cruisers. If you want a better look for your daily driver, find the best balance of price and quality you can get your hands on. One thing is for sure... I laugh at the high school kid that curbs the Work wheels he worked and saved all summer to buy. That is just silly.
I agree with two thumbs up
YarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I agree with Chino; Price dictated my wheel/tire package. Sure they're a little heavy, but if I curb one, blow a tire, or anything else, I can get another from tirerack.com quick and cheap.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
im the king of cheap. I dont see putting 1K or more into rims for this car (or any car)!
Old 04-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Of course, if you're a pimp like Thomas price bows to the sexiness of real JDM.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

well i guess im going seadm hehehe (south east asian domestic market) pinoy ftw!

Old 04-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
aeipee13
DKDC

Drives: Yarlet
Most of those kids are internet junkies. I just sold my GC8 impreza and got a yaris and it was the same with impreza crowd. I personally never got wheels on my impreza because I ran touge here in Los Angeles and nice wheels get jacked up. But with my yaris im throwing on some Rotas or Drag wheels which are a copy of the Work 03 and im not forking over 1600 for a set of Work wheels!
aeipee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
My Rotas are on the way. I think they are great wheels and so do a whole lot of other people. There's just some snooty f*&ks that rag on stuff. Probably because they just couldn't bare to have anything except a "hot" brand item that is the going thing. I don't even see why these kinds of people would by a Yaris. The wheels look great and they do the job. The big expensive names rip off looks too. Rota support
+1

Tanabe DF, Debadged, stripped, Black emblems
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:31 AM   #12
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
so i was surfing the web and i see these supposibly jdm stuff that says, real friends dont let friends ride on rota's, i got a set of 15" rotas and i love them, they dont make wantanabe's/panasports anymore so i got the next best thing. im planning to get a pair of rota 17"s as well, maybe the real lites or the torques. i think they would be comparable to konigs since they also make knockoffs. so everybody whats your take on rota's?
Because they copy other designs and make inferior wheels which are dangerous.

Both RS-Watanabe and Panasport are still in business and still make some of the best quality wheels available.

I had Rotas on a past car, two of the wheels cracked. I've owned over 40 sets of aftermarket wheels and have never had any others crack during street driving. Enkei, Rays, Work, Watanabe, OZ, BBS, AME, etc... all get my business because I know that they actually test their designs and use quality materials. They all have TUV, JAL and DOT stamps which are the safety tests that every OEM wheel manufacturer must adhere to prior to releasing a new wheel design. My life and safety are more important to me than a few $$ saved.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:02 AM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
i personally like Rota (never owned a set, but still... =P )
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:45 AM   #14
tca4

Drives: Yaris RS (white)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Z33 View Post

Both RS-Watanabe and Panasport are still in business and still make some of the best quality wheels available.

I had Rotas on a past car, two of the wheels cracked. I've owned over 40 sets of aftermarket wheels and have never had any others crack during street driving. Enkei, Rays, Work, Watanabe, OZ, BBS, AME, etc... all get my business because I know that they actually test their designs and use quality materials. They all have TUV, JAL and DOT stamps which are the safety tests that every OEM wheel manufacturer must adhere to prior to releasing a new wheel design. My life and safety are more important to me than a few $$ saved.
+1
tca4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:07 AM   #15
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

i have seen rims crack, its all on how you drive and what happened. im pretty sure you hit a big pothole going fast, you will crack your rim. i know rota has been out for a long time and they are still in business, wouldnt that mean that they have at least some kind of quality to it?

Old 04-18-2007, 07:40 AM   #16
mcdaddy

Drives: Yaris 2006, 2NZFE 1.3L
a simple reason why other people hate rotas'..

because they are one hell of a nice rims in town & bang for buck. other manufacturer just can't take the nerves that they are overpricing the cost of rims per set yet not so nice designs & quality.

check out these website & find out why subaru owners loved rota.
http://subydude.com/osc/
Old 04-18-2007, 06:50 PM   #17
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Z33 View Post

Old 04-18-2007, 07:14 PM   #18
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Rota has TUV and DOT endorsement just as the expensive companies do.

I've had uber-expensive wheels before- I had the first set of Becketts east of the Mississippi- and no, not the FN01R-C's- the real thing. When it came time to buy wheels for my track car, though, I followed by budget and bought Rotas- I tracked the hell out of them for 3 years (auto-x, Road Atlanta track days, NASA, etc...about 10k miles of high speed, high g, high impact driving) without a single problem. As a matter of fact, I think I have broken everything on my track car except the wheels.

I have never seen any reason to buy $2K wheels again.

Although, my Becketts' stickers did add mad tyte ass-horsepower, y0!
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote