Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #73
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
This is what I am driving now. It would not be the end of the world to keep driving it a while, if things don't work out on the Yaris.

It is not because of any dissatisfaction with the Cobalt that I have this itch to trade for a Yaris.

Tom

YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #74
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
No need to test drive, my friend. I drove Wes's car to the body shop to get that mailbox paint removed, so that was my test drive. (Was it in this thread that I told everyone about the mailbox incident?) The shop was only a couple miles from my workplace, so I just drove his car to work that day and left it at the shop. They gave me an old car to get me to work and back to their shop when the Yaris was ready.

Tom
I beg to differ. I know how you feel about the Yaris, but I wouldn't shake hands or sign anything until after you've done the test drive, if I were you.

The white car looks nice, too, by the way, but we're not talking about the white car, anymore, are we?!

tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #75
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Oh, I would definitely drive the one I was about to buy before committing to the deal. I just didn't see any need in driving that black one today, since I knew that would not be the car I would end up with.

I guess they will want some kind of commitment before trading with the other dealer, but I will reserve the right to back out, if I detect something wrong when I test drive the one they bring in.

I just wanted folks to see what I am driving now. It's not a bad car at all, and I might regret getting rid of it later.

Tom
Old 04-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #76
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
I might regret getting rid of it later.

Tom
Now, now, now.... don't do that to yourself!! Once you make a decision, don't look back!!

When you say you "reserve your right to back out" make sure they put that in writing, too, if you've already commited in writing.

In California, there is no cool-off period for the purchase of a car, so you have to have the dealership write a cancellation clause into the contract, or if they don't, you have to sign a piece of paper saying they offered you the cancellation option but you declined it. The first dealership I set foot in was willing to put in a cancellation option for free, but the second dealership where I eventually got my Yaris wanted $250 to write in that cancellation clause. I declined. It didn't matter because I had no intention of changing my mind. Different states or different dealership may do business differently but I'd try to get it in writing if I were you.

Some other posters may have some other advice in that regard, though.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #77
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Well, I have a good record so far, Mr. Mater. I have never regretted any of my trades, and Lord knows there have sure been plenty of them.

Tom
Old 04-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #78
tomato
Super Moderator

Sounds like you got everything under control!
Old 04-02-2009, 03:41 AM   #79
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
That was a good 5 page long read...good luck with your purchase. All the things that were in my head to give you advice has been mentioned already so I guess I will just stay tuned and see how things go.

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:42 AM   #80
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:

I guess they will want some kind of commitment before trading with the other dealer

Tom
is the other dealer local? i know around here, they will not trade w/ any dealers in the same market.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:24 AM   #81
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
is the other dealer local? i know around here, they will not trade w/ any dealers in the same market.

Roxy:

The other dealer is about 50 miles away, and my dealer said that they work out deals with them all the time. There is a dealer only 30 miles away, and, like you say, they do not deal with them.

It's tough to commit to buying a car when I have not seen one in the same color. I did find some pictures in here in the Owners Garage section of Flint Mica Yarii, and they looked pretty good. Seeing a picture of one is not a substitute for seeing one in person, though.

I would have no trouble deciding on color, if Wes had not bought the Barcelona Red Metallic.

I might not do anything today or tomorrow and try to get around to a dealership that has a Flint Mica or two in inventory this weekend.

The deal might not be attractive enough for me to even worry about checking out Flint Mica Yarii, and it wouldn't necessarily be the dealer's fault. I'm not in a good position to trade, having just traded ten months ago. That is not the Toyota dealer's fault. It's not that I would be too "upside down" on trade-in, it's just that I would not want to take such a huge hit on depreciation.

I'll let everyone know what they offer me for a deal, and we'll go from there. I appreciate everyone's support. Your advice is appreciated and taken into consideration, whether you are saying "go for it" or "don't do it."

Stick with me my friends. I'm enjoying your company on this journey.

Tomster
Old 04-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #82
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I say go for it so we have more Midwesterners for meets!
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #83
Giobatera

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Just adding to all previous comments posted here. I had 4 GM cars within the last 6 years, before I switch to my Yaris "SEDAN", and honestly, I had major problems with ALL of them. I can tell you that I love my yaris and I wouldn’t change it for anything else. I have done some basic mods to it, and believe it or not, it is my family car. I have a wife and two kids and they all love the car. When I first bought it, the wife didn’t want me to get it manual. Now, she just loves to drive it. The last car I had prior to my Yaris, was a Ford Expedition, and just the gas money for the Ford, is almost 3 times more then what I pay for my car on a monthly bases. I respect everyone’s opinion, but if you ask me. YARIS IT IS!!!!! SEDAN of course…Lol!
Old 04-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #84
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Well, ain't this sumpthin'?

The dealer where I helped Wes get his car, which is the dealer I have been trying to work with on a Yaris for myself, will not work up a deal for me unless I "follow their procedure." I would have to test drive a Yaris and then sit there while they play the game of the salesman going back and forth between me and the sales manager.

I know exactly what I want, so they should be able to simply appraise my trade-in and tell me what they will do. I can then accept or make a counter offer. I don't want to sit there and play their game.

I'll try another dealer. I have already placed a call.

Tom
Old 04-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #85
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
Try to get an Internet price (or a Costco or AAA auto program price) from another dealer.
Assume that you are not going to get a good trade and see what Edmunds or CraigsList might get you as a private sale.
(much harder to do well this year than last)

Getting the Internet price reduces the back & forth business to just the extra warranty. (which you can quickly decline if you have a good local mechanic)
Better yet, go in with a credit union financing check in your pocket and avoid the whole discussion on rates and so on.

Last edited by SpaceShot; 04-02-2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #86
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, ain't this sumpthin'?

The dealer where I helped Wes get his car, which is the dealer I have been trying to work with on a Yaris for myself, will not work up a deal for me unless I "follow their procedure." I would have to test drive a Yaris and then sit there while they play the game of the salesman going back and forth between me and the sales manager.

Tom
Whatever !! and this is the place where you just bought a car, too??!

I did too walk away from the first Yaris I test drove (which I liked better than mine, actually, better color, fewer miles) because the 1st dealer was full of it and I could just tell right from the get go that it was gonna be a PIA kind of transaction. The second dealer was more straightforward so it took us very little time to get to the handshake part (only 2 trips to the sales manager in the back, lol!)

Good luck!
Old 04-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #87
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Yeah, I hated the dealership experience as well and I am "lucky" enough to have a half dozen or so Toyota dealers within an hour or so of where we live. Honestly, I only endured it as I wanted the car so badly (it is really a great car!). I traded in a VW Passat wagon I had owned for almost a decade, and it broke my heart but the Yaris is living up to my expectations. I hang on to my cars as long as I can, had I not been in the military and stationed overseas for much of my career I would have probably had less cars for much longer! Heck, I even paid to ship the Passat to Belgium for three years as a second car because I had only owned it for three years prior to that.

You probably already know and realize this, but just as a reminder, buying a car is a negotiation! You have every opportunity to walk away from the deal, so use that leverage if they salespeople are dicking around with you. I have blatantly gotten up and walked out of a dealership because of some of the bullshit they were trying to pull on me. I must look dumber than I am, because I'd have to be pretty stupid to believe some of the things they have said.

If you are lucky and not in a rush to buy, you have the advantage and use it to the fullest. Just keep looking until you find the car and deal you are happy with, then drive away and don't look back!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #88
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

OK, I have contacted the Internet Sales Manager at a dealership in Owensboro, KY. This is the contact I mentioned up the page.

The guy is perfectly willing to make me an offer, even though he is on vacation in FL. He lists his cell phone number on the dealership's website, and I didn't know he was on vacation. He purposely listed his cell phone number, though, because he doesn't want to miss a sale, vacation or not.

He was honest enough to tell me that I would suffer by having such a new car to trade-in. I like this guy.

The dealer where Wes bought his car still has not called me with a deal. I guess they would rather miss a sale than deviate from their "procedure."

I would prefer to deal with these people, since they are located just a mile from my workplace. I'll probably use their service department.

Tom
Old 04-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #89
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I bought mine about 50 miles away because of my local dealer being too flaky to deal with. I definitely say to go to the "real person" dealer.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #90
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
SailDesign might be selling his in the near future. It's got a small dent in it, but that'll pop right out

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote