Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
misterwolfe
What is a clutch?

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Send a message via AIM to misterwolfe
Thumbs up New owner!

Hi, I'm new. I was given a 2007 Yaris Liftback in nearly mint condition inside and out. It has 221K miles. Runs like new. My daily commute is 190 miles each day 6 days a week all highway pushing 47MPG usually. It is garage kept at home, and garage kept in a underground garage at work. Gotta love that!

Also, has anyone else here purchased the first "foreign" vehicle of their family?

Dad - Chevy Silverado 2011 (Mexico!)
Stepmom - Chevy HHR 2010 (Mexico!)
Sister - Chevy Cruze 2012 (Mexico!)
Sister - Chevy Sonic 2012 (Mexico!)
Brother - Chevy Volt (Indiana?)
Mom - Chrysler 300H Beats edition 2012 (Detroit)
GPa - Dodge Ram 2500 (Detroit I think)
Me - Ford Fuckedus 2004 (Mexico!)

As you can see, I come from a family of American domestic drivers. I once had a 2004 Ford Fuckedus. It was a horrible little car. I get the most heat from my dad, who is very against my Yaris. With so many from Mexico, how is it considered a domestic then?

My dad drove my Yaris once, for a good 45 minutes or so. Mostly city but some highway too around Tampa and St. Petersburg, FL. When he got out, I think his mind changed a bit. He saw we barely used any fuel which he immediately noticed, but he also liked the steering. I asked him if he liked it, and he said "It's OK." which in my mind, I know he likes it, he just won't man up and admit a car that cheap could be that good.

Currently, I always get volunteered to drive because of cost and my A/C freezes you out of there. Why are the A/C systems in Chevys so weak? They don't get that cool.

ANYWAY, as a new owner, I will be doing a few things. I have the power package, but not keyless dongles. I think my boyfriend lost them. So, I will be needing those soon. Also, do you recommend I install the cabin air filter? There isn't one. Does it help protect from allergies? I'm extremely sensitive to oak pollen.

Last edited by misterwolfe; 04-12-2013 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Slight spelling correction
misterwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Welcome to the japside.

yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
misterwolfe
What is a clutch?

[QUOTE=yarisugi;694327]Welcome to the japside.

Reliability, low cost of ownership, and great fuel economy? Do they have cookies too?
Old 04-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
yes, add an in cabin filter. It not only filters air, it keeps all sorts of crap out that can invade if there is not one in there. You don't need to buy an oem one, heck you can even easily make your own.

If I was cool and all I would hunt down the thread for them, but i am exhausted. ok here is a thread that shows a few options. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...+air+filter%22

congrats on the wonderful car and great gas mileage.

And I am nowhere near the first one to buy a Toyota. My dad owned a leasing company in the early 80's and bought who knows how many Corolla hatches and an 82 Supra for himself.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Welcome to the japside.
Thank You - Sorry it took awhile

First time Toyota buyer here, too - Should have done it a long time ago...
I hear you too loud. My dad was a Chevy dealer in the Chicago area for years, passed in 1983. I just always drove GM cars, just like being from the Mid-West you always eat meat & potatoes & shovel snow (not anymore, rare snow here!)
Really started to get tired of the squeaks & rattles & poor gas mileage on some of the GM cars I drove. The general was very good to our family while I was growing up, VERY good. That was in the hey-day.
Last 6 months of driving a 15-16mpg truck 20 miles round-trip on 45-55 mph roads 90% of the way, I had enough - just 4, maybe 5 days a week to work. We were paying 300 bucks or so in gas a month, probably more.
Small cars are a blast to drive, I am going for the MPG's now - Narrowed it down to a Scion iQ & a Yaris. Really wanted to see the iQ in person, just to know yea or nay, but the dealer just sold the one they had after 245 days (I know, what does that tell you?) I think it is a bit too small for American drivers. I have no doubt of the way it is put together, tho, being a Toyota. Walked over to the 3 door Yaris and the rest is history. I got the car 4 days ago and have driven it a total of 83 miles on 4 different occasions...including the ride home from the dealer.
I am still amazed by this car. It was so inexpensive. The gas gauge still reads full - it runs with so much precision..the way it shifts, the way the electronics work, the build, the AIR Conditioning, the simplicity of it, yet it is so solid and quiet. Stereo jams quite well, I'm totally hooked.
Even the way the headlights shine when I leave in the AM and it is still dark, the beam makes a perfect line across the road...and the SEATS - the seats are a dream sitting in, they hug you.
I am a keeper here, will have this 2013 Yaris for years & years & years. It will be a blast to do oil changes & other maintenance stuff to the car - very easy.
221,000 miles & a 190 mile round-trip commute 6 days a week? Yikes! That's a lot of commuting! I'd be worried about YOU breaking down before the car

Enjoy your car, I know I am loving this Yaris more than I ever though I could a new car - OK, gotta run down to the garage and check it out again
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
misterwolfe
What is a clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
Thank You - Sorry it took awhile

First time Toyota buyer here, too - Should have done it a long time ago...
I hear you too loud. My dad was a Chevy dealer in the Chicago area for years, passed in 1983. I just always drove GM cars, just like being from the Mid-West you always eat meat & potatoes & shovel snow (not anymore, rare snow here!)
Really started to get tired of the squeaks & rattles & poor gas mileage on some of the GM cars I drove. The general was very good to our family while I was growing up, VERY good. That was in the hey-day.
Last 6 months of driving a 15-16mpg truck 20 miles round-trip on 45-55 mph roads 90% of the way, I had enough - just 4, maybe 5 days a week to work. We were paying 300 bucks or so in gas a month, probably more.
Small cars are a blast to drive, I am going for the MPG's now - Narrowed it down to a Scion iQ & a Yaris. Really wanted to see the iQ in person, just to know yea or nay, but the dealer just sold the one they had after 245 days (I know, what does that tell you?) I think it is a bit too small for American drivers. I have no doubt of the way it is put together, tho, being a Toyota. Walked over to the 3 door Yaris and the rest is history. I got the car 4 days ago and have driven it a total of 83 miles on 4 different occasions...including the ride home from the dealer.
I am still amazed by this car. It was so inexpensive. The gas gauge still reads full - it runs with so much precision..the way it shifts, the way the electronics work, the build, the AIR Conditioning, the simplicity of it, yet it is so solid and quiet. Stereo jams quite well, I'm totally hooked.
Even the way the headlights shine when I leave in the AM and it is still dark, the beam makes a perfect line across the road...and the SEATS - the seats are a dream sitting in, they hug you.
I am a keeper here, will have this 2013 Yaris for years & years & years. It will be a blast to do oil changes & other maintenance stuff to the car - very easy.
221,000 miles & a 190 mile round-trip commute 6 days a week? Yikes! That's a lot of commuting! I'd be worried about YOU breaking down before the car

Enjoy your car, I know I am loving this Yaris more than I ever though I could a new car - OK, gotta run down to the garage and check it out again
Thanks, not only the long commute I've luckily been under the radar of police. Generally, my speed is quite over the limits. I'm looking at a solid 85MPH to 90MPH constant.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Yeah, Toyota, Honda or Hyudai you can't go wrong with these brands.
Toyota Yaris is just one of the many quality rides out of Japan and Korea is now at that stage too.

Anyway, one dude showed me his Alfa Romeo (Euro car) and I was not impress at all. Sure it was dark as it was late at night. But, really? all RED dash lights and dash that look like something out of a spaceship.Did i say every light inside was ALL RED? lol

Toyota are kind of bland but you get reliable almost trouble free driving so good choice mate. Unless you've got a lemon.

junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterwolfe View Post
Hi, I'm new. I was given a 2007 Yaris Liftback in nearly mint condition inside and out. It has 221K miles. Runs like new. My daily commute is 190 miles each day 6 days a week all highway pushing 47MPG usually. It is garage kept at home, and garage kept in a underground garage at work. Gotta love that!

Also, has anyone else here purchased the first "foreign" vehicle of their family?

Dad - Chevy Silverado 2011 (Mexico!)
Stepmom - Chevy HHR 2010 (Mexico!)
Sister - Chevy Cruze 2012 (Mexico!)
Sister - Chevy Sonic 2012 (Mexico!)
Brother - Chevy Volt (Indiana?)
Mom - Chrysler 300H Beats edition 2012 (Detroit)
GPa - Dodge Ram 2500 (Detroit I think)
Me - Ford Fuckedus 2004 (Mexico!)

As you can see, I come from a family of American domestic drivers. I once had a 2004 Ford Fuckedus. It was a horrible little car. I get the most heat from my dad, who is very against my Yaris. With so many from Mexico, how is it considered a domestic then?

My dad drove my Yaris once, for a good 45 minutes or so. Mostly city but some highway too around Tampa and St. Petersburg, FL. When he got out, I think his mind changed a bit. He saw we barely used any fuel which he immediately noticed, but he also liked the steering. I asked him if he liked it, and he said "It's OK." which in my mind, I know he likes it, he just won't man up and admit a car that cheap could be that good.

Currently, I always get volunteered to drive because of cost and my A/C freezes you out of there. Why are the A/C systems in Chevys so weak? They don't get that cool.

ANYWAY, as a new owner, I will be doing a few things. I have the power package, but not keyless dongles. I think my boyfriend lost them. So, I will be needing those soon. Also, do you recommend I install the cabin air filter? There isn't one. Does it help protect from allergies? I'm extremely sensitive to oak pollen.
Hershey started a thread (after (I think) the one why? posted a link to) about the FRAM FreshBreeze cabin air filter. I put one in at about 241,000 miles (no filter before that) and it works very well. I'm allergic to pollen, but I've never been tested to learn which one or ones. With tax included it was $20.50 USD at Wal-Mart.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:45 AM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterwolfe View Post
Thanks, not only the long commute I've luckily been under the radar of police. Generally, my speed is quite over the limits. I'm looking at a solid 85MPH to 90MPH constant.
solid 85MPH to 90MPH constant..........(from post #1) 47 MPG usually.........something does not compute .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
misterwolfe
What is a clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
solid 85MPH to 90MPH constant..........(from post #1) 47 MPG usually.........something does not compute .
Be easy on AC use, and I don't have anything in the car. I don't have a back trunk/hatch tray nor back seats installed. Also, accelerate like an old man. Let the tranny do the work. When slowing down or know you will have to stop, then coast as much as possible as the yaris engine is designed to cut fuel and only compress air to keep controls running and engine braking. Good Michelin Easy roll tires and aluminum alloy rims also help. 90% of my driving is highway too.