Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-17-2007, 12:34 AM   #19
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona54 View Post
Hey, Motorhead, I've think we've had this conversation before. You're obviously a driver, and in fact, so am I.

But, we agreed before that most are not skilled stick shift drivers, and for them the Yaris would perform better in all respects with an automatic than stick.

We also discuused the fact that the manual shift Yaris is indeed 1 second quicker in the 1/4 mile than the automatic, but this is for drivers skilled on the track. For most, the automatic will prove faster (and more fuel efficient than the stick).

So, let's not mislead those just looking for a good daily driver. Let's not make it sound like the car can't get out of it's own way with the automatic because that just isn't so. With a heavy foot, the automatic transmission will perform every bit as well (probably better) than the manual shift... for most drivers anyway.
*sigh**runs back to performance section*
Old 07-17-2007, 12:39 AM   #20
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead6T5 View Post
*sigh**runs back to performance section*
I'm with ya.... the Auto is just for the lazy, everything you just quoted from kimona can not be backed up, and the manual trans is the superior trans for the Yaris
Old 07-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #21
grampi

Drives: Corolla
From what I remember about my short Yaris 5 speed test drive, its tranny is far smoother than that in my '99 Corolla, which isn't bad. It's closer to the silky smooth manuals found in the Hondas than it is to my Corolla's.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #22
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
At 17, my first car was a standard. I loved it SO much. Then I bought a new car at 21. It was an automatic. I instantly regretted it. I got ANOTHER car at age 24. Another automatic. I traded that in for my Yaris, which is a standard. I adore it. No problems on my end.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #23
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
I'm with ya.... the Auto is just for the lazy, everything you just quoted from kimona can not be backed up, and the manual trans is the superior trans for the Yaris
That's a lot of crap, man. If you like the stick, great... enjoy it! But some like the auto for good reasons.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #24
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
if you are thinking about a smart watch this and think again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s
If you think a Yaris would fare any better against a concrete wall at 70MPH, you kidding yourself. You'll die in either one just the same. With any small car you need to drive extremley defensivley; I think the only advantage of the Yaris is a little extra power to get out of the way should you need to.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:43 PM   #25
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Transmission type is purely personal preference. Those of you driving a manual and thinking it's a fast car have lost touch with reality. Their BOTH slow.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:09 PM   #26
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Quote:
if you are thinking about a smart watch this and think again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s
wow the Smart is just way too small for comfort. I'd be afraid what would happen in an accident to the person. I cannot see someone surviving the crash that was shown in that youtube vid.. or else they'll survive with their legs chopped off.
the point of that program on youtube was to show how well the smart stood up in a crash with a speed of 80 mp/h into a concrete barrier, the yaris would not have stood up as well in a similar crash.

no one would survive that crash in a smart, yaris and maybe not any other type of larger vehicle because the stop is too sudden for your internal organs to withstand.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #27
drmitch

Drives: 2007 Yaris 2 DR Hatch
Exactly. I was quite impressed with how the Smart stood up to the impact. Given a fender-bender, it would appear one would be just as safe in the Smart as in any other smaller vehicle. In a 70 mph crash into a concrete wall...I dunno WHAT you'd be "safe" in, or survive in. I'd like to see a side-impact test with the Smart.
drmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:50 PM   #28
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Good question, drmitch, even survival at that speed becomes a poor option.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 AM   #29
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
If you think a Yaris would fare any better against a concrete wall at 70MPH, you kidding yourself. You'll die in either one just the same. With any small car you need to drive extremley defensivley; I think the only advantage of the Yaris is a little extra power to get out of the way should you need to.
reason I posted that exact video is because is showed another car similar in size to the Yaris... the White car looked like a liveable crash... maybe.... but the Smart.... hell no
Old 07-18-2007, 12:11 AM   #30
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Transmission type is purely personal preference. Those of you driving a manual and thinking it's a fast car have lost touch with reality. Their BOTH slow.
but the auto is much more slugish, I test drove the auto when I was decieding on which Yaris, but it just did not have enough balls for me
but yes they are both slow... for now
Old 07-18-2007, 03:20 AM   #31
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
As a commuter the Auto is the no-brainer. As an attempt to extract the maximum amount of straight line performance out of the car, the stick is the obvious choice for accelerating AND braking (barring a panic stop).

Corner speed, however, is identical, and I would also agree that those not skilled with proper gear selection, nor caring, should opt for the auto. I have had the luck to run with an automatic Yaris both in the city and on the freeway, and unfortunately, there is no comparison in slow v. slower, the stick is less-slow. =)

The Yaris feel like your sitting on a kiddie booster seat eating cheerios with your hands and no milk... but at the track it surprises a lot of fast cars and a lot Miatas as well (with the right mods).

Again, improve the driver, improve the car... that's the best upgrade!
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:27 AM   #32
gsalsiri

Drives: Toyota Yaris RS 4Dr Silver
I've had the Yaris now only for a couple of weeks and found the shifting to be equal if not better to my old Golf's.
Sliver Streak Mica
gsalsiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:51 AM   #33
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Quote:
but the auto is much more slugish, I test drove the auto when I was decieding on which Yaris, but it just did not have enough balls for me
but yes they are both slow... for now
I agree. The manual definitely accelerates better than the auto.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:05 AM   #34
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I agree, the shifting was awkward at first, especially the clutch, but like most other things in life, it's something you can get used to. I can drive smoother than ever before now

As mentioned before, in the end, the decision between manual and auto depends entirely on your preference and driving style. i.e., do you drive the car, or do you ride the car?

If you'll just be using the car to get you from point A to point B around town, then an automatic is more than adequate, you won't have to worry about overdeveloped left leg muscles, you can drink your coffee or talk on the phone calmly with one hand . But a manual is just fine as well if you yourself are comfortable with driving manuals on a daily basis in general.

As soon as you start thinking about autocross, quarter-mile or going around a track, then you should seriously consider the manual. Sure, the automatic transmission is more than capable of handling those tasks, and you can still have a lot of fun with it, but it really can't compare to the control that a manual brings to the table.

And come on, you can probably impress chicks by showing them you have the skillz to drive manual. Though having a free hand with an automatic can be advantageous in this situation

So there you go, my own 2 cents on the matter

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #35
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
And come on, you can probably impress chicks by showing them you have the skillz to drive manual. Though having a free hand with an automatic can be advantageous in this situation
LOL! I like that!
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #36
drmitch

Drives: 2007 Yaris 2 DR Hatch
Been driving manual for the last 13 years... 84Honda CRX, 86 Honda Civic Hatch, 95 Miata, 00 BMW Z3 and now 99 Miata so having the skill to drive a stick is not an issue...I've no intention to autocross and the days of doing recreational runs through the twisties with my Miata are over...I just can't justify it in terms of consumption/emissions. So, I'm mostly looking at my commute, the occasional trip to Vegas, still enjoying the look and feel of my car, not feeling like I'm traveling in a mobile living room or a conservative grandpamobile AND feeling like I'm doing what I can afford to do in terms of decreasing my carbon footprint. I'd look at a Prius but a. it's twice the cost of the Yaris and b. I'm still concerned about long-term maintenance and repair costs of the hybrid technology at this point.

Vanderkitten, it is amazing the difference nice rims make in the look of the HB. Wow! Love those black twins!
drmitch is offline   Reply With Quote